Is my truck good?

punisher1130

Adventurer
As with all things craigslist, this ad doesn't give many details, but it may be worth checking out since it's in your neck of the woods and priced well. Looks like it's for your body style, but no way to know without calling the folks

https://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5146810647.html

good find on that link, I haven't been ale to look around since I had to move but that is the base set up for a custom bumper plan I have and if it fits my gen truck then I can get started on fabbing the front end

punisher1130

Adventurer
Sounds like you already have a plan. Remember that most of the trail rigs you see and hear about are ones that have very few stock parts left. For a budget build that sees mostly street duty you're already basically done. As far as switching to a different truck just remember a few key things. If you were to do the exact same mods to a K5 Blazer that you already did to your Dakota you'd be about even off road, but you'd actually be worse off when street driving thanks to the truck like ride and horrible aerodynamics. If you went to a Jeep you'd be running the same trans as your current rig which is the issue most jeep folks end up addressing. The GM folks with the 4l60e have similar concerns so that wouldn't be an easy way out. The Ford folks aren't in any better shape either when it comes to their trans.

My vote is keep it and enjoy it. If you find it has a limit then either work within that limit or figure out how to get around it. If the limit is something you love and you can't get around it in your current rig then figure out a different rig to suit your new plans. Maybe someday you'll end up like me and be out shopping for a 1 ton van after years of saying it'll never happen lol

those are good points and I do plan on keeping the Dakota for the idea of being living proof these trucks can be done even if they aren't seen in the fields. As for the blazer goes ive had a 83 before and mpg wasn't really a concern it did very well even though it had several problems lol. for the jeep my thinking was simply everything off road stems from them and the prices on everything confirmed that so it was a thought. ill just save up the money and build a k5 once I reach the limit of the Dakota, or push to get my dream truck, h1 hummer military body lol.

punisher1130

Adventurer
I say keep the Dakota. Beside the cost of a new rig,learning all the querks, and still spending money to mod it. You seem to be a step ahead on the current ride. Personally I think the Dakota/durango are cool little packages. Midsized with a full size motor.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Florida, but other than mud/bogs your rig should br pretty capable how it sits. I've had a few vehicles that absolutely shocked me in stock form.

I'm in your boat though so I feel your pain. I bought a 99 Durango off a buddy of mine. Worse case will be a sas, then if I get crazy down the road maybe a 4bt and a manual trans. But for now the 5.9 auto and ifs will work till they break.

I've found a few pretty cool front/rear bumpers for them also. I'll post pics here in a few when work slows down .

Keep the dak, don't be a jeep guy lol

Check out blue lake offroad. They make a pretty cool front and rear bumper setup

Here in Florida we have a mix of sand and mud, mostly mud from what I've seen at least inland wise. The Durango you bought is the exact same as my truck, not counting the motor and body of course lol but ill check out blue lake under the Durango, I only know of 1 company that makes bumpers for the dak but I haven't checked under durango. just to give u a heads up with the sas, unless you know where to find axles from a late 70s ford, next best bet is the dana 44 from a wagoner, no one has disputed them fitting under the wheel wells but they are suggested and they seem easier to find. And don't worry, even if I bought a jeep id never be a jeep guy, im too big and too much of a v8 junkie lol, id only buy one for the soul reason of them having cheap parts lol.

Last edited:

punisher1130

Adventurer
Pics... i know it's durangos. But like you said..it's interchangeable

all those bumpers except the white one is sold by tactical, they use a base bumper and let the customer build from there, they have good bumpers but they are on the heavy side. The white one is a custom desert runner bumper, would be good on weight but not sure how it would hold against a tree or rock.

underdrive

jackwagon
all those bumpers except the white one is sold by tactical, they use a base bumper and let the customer build from there, they have good bumpers but they are on the heavy side. The white one is a custom desert runner bumper, would be good on weight but not sure how it would hold against a tree or rock.
When you consider the strength of the bumper vs. strength of object against it, you should also consider what's on the other side of the bumper - a boulder-splitting bumper does you little good if the frame it's attached to gets bent in the process. Bumpers are easy to replace, frames yeah not so much. I think the tube pre-runner bumper is actually a pretty good compromise between strength and weight, it will hold up to an animal strike and likely a low-speed collision with something like a tree, but if you hit a reinforced concrete wall hard enough it will fold while absorbing a lot of the impact energy. Not a bad deal I'd think...

punisher1130

Adventurer
Good point. I wasn't planning on anything that can split boulders just something that is able to take a hit and slide over so the tires can catch and climb and not be trashed right away. This is what I was planning on making but with a hitch up front for a winch tray instead of the fixed mounted and a 11/2-2in thick tube along the front reaching from headlight to headlight instead of bolting it like he did on this, think it would be stronger if it was uncut. At least that my thinking anyway.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/user-classifieds/281205-2000-dodge-dakota-sport-6500-o-b-o.html

indecisivebrad

Considering where you're located the things most likely to hit the bumper are a kid in a beat up honda or a soccer mom with New York plates and a horrible attitude. I'm in Poinciana so those are what I'm dodging every time I go out.

punisher1130

Adventurer
Considering where you're located the things most likely to hit the bumper are a kid in a beat up honda or a soccer mom with New York plates and a horrible attitude. I'm in Poinciana so those are what I'm dodging every time I go out.

I deal with that and worse everyday with work lol, I'm a truck driver for a irrigation supply comp. and spend a lot of time in the attractions areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz