Complete Newbie to vehicle modification

Last year I traded my old 2wd Tundra for an equally 2wd 2013 Chevy Silverado 4-door. I clearly wasn't paying much attention, because it came with ZERO (0) recovery points. I compounded my failure by then buying (only a few months before the OJ article was published) the worst-performing tire in the test (Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure).

Here I am, one year, one wedding, and one 3000 mile roadtrip through the Southwest later, finally coming to the point where I need to look at making some changes to the vehicle so a trip out to Big Bend or someplace similar wouldn't be a disaster waiting to happen.

So I'm asking for suggestions on simple, not-insanely-expensive modifications to this vehicle to make it, if not more off-road-capable, at least a bit more self-recovery-friendly. So far my list includes.

-Rear receiver hitch (why the hell I didn't notice that wasn't attached when I bought it...) with shackle
-Recovery/ Tow hooks under front bumper (again, ******)
-Decent recovery gear: Chain/rope/comealong/ Hi-lift that I'd be afraid to use without LOTS of supervised practice
-Maxtrax
-Take the stupid air dam off the front bumper

What else? I figure once I get some of the more egregious equipment shortfalls taken care of, I'll show up at a meet in Central Texas or somewhere and maybe get some education so I don't injure myself /break my truck if I need to use this stuff for real.

Gratuitous pic of the truck in question, heading out toward Ft Stockton on the 1st night of the SW trip.
efd9abc4-560e-43c5-b425-3893ce1e4ee5_zpshevd0vir.jpg

Re: knowing how the gear works: I've pulled a few stuck vehicles with a chain and tractor, and I've used two pieces of carpet nailed to some 2x4s and a bunch of sticks to get my work truck out of the mud once. Beyond that, I don't know much. But that's why I'd like to get involved with some of the meet ups in Central TX, to hopefully learn a few things. I'm trying to figure out what I need to get started.

Thanks for the links! That front mounted receiver looks like a particularly good place to start.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks like the factory shackle / tie locations are behind the indents in that central plastic portion of your bumper. You might find a bargain on a factory set at a wrecking yard. And some care in cutting out the openings in the existing panel or even reclaiming the proper panel with the used shackles would save some money. Might even be able to re-sell your factory panel and recoup much of the cost of the junkyard parts.

skeeter06

Observer
Look into the work truck front bumpers. My 09 work truck has two recovery points on the front that sticks through the front bumper area.

eggman918

Adventurer
this is a good place to start on your learning curve
://archive.org/stream/FM20-22#page/n0/mode/2up
Explains it so a 18 year old kid can use the info.

v_man

Explorer
I'd get rid of it and start over with a decent 4x4 , preferably a Toyota... If you insist on taking your 2wd vehicle off roading , I'd look into a rear locker , some Maxtrax, and a winch for when you inevitably get it stuck ....

1stDeuce

Explorer
If I recall correctly, Big Bend is a bit sandy in places. A 2wd truck might not be ideal if you want to do any solo exploring... And 2wd is the reason your truck didn't come with front tow hooks. They're only standard on the 4x4's, but any junkyard or fleabay will sell you a set of factory hooks, and they'll bolt right on. JY would be a good place to get a deal on a factory receiver too. :)

That air dam probably gets you another 1mpg on the highway. It has some push-lock style fasteners that hold it to the "bumper", and is easy to remove if you're planning on a little adventure. Instructions for removal are even in the owners manual I believe. :)

A hi-lift, as pointed out earlier, is almost useless with newer vehicles. Jacking off either side of the OEM rear bumper will likely tweak it some, though it'll be fine if you jack right in the middle. Tweaked bumper still better than dead, IMO. The front bumper is worthless as a jacking point. It's not even a bumper really, just a fascia. If it'll reach far enough under the bumper, you might be able to jack off the tow loops once you add them. Would be worth checking. Otherwise a front receiver hitch might be an option for jacking, if it doesn't hang too low. (Some are really low...)

Sounds like you're already planning to get out, meet some people, and see where the journey takes you!!
Safe travels!
Chris

Get a lift-mate with your high lift. You can use it to lift the wheel and place a traction aid or rocks under it. A locker, some good tires, and winch would be advisable. The ability to air down and air up the tires.

I've got a post (2 duplicate posts actually) "awaiting moderation"?, but the gist is "I try to be very careful because I only have 2wd, and it's interesting that no one has mentioned any kind of lift, and does someone have a recommendation on a 12 volt compressor that can reinflate a tire faster than my ancient Campbell-hausfeld POS?

Posting from my phone sucks

texascrane

Adventurer
That truck is fine for virtually every road in Big Bend np. The old ore road might be the only one you'd want to stay off of.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Lift only really helps if you are dragging and need more clearance or want to run bigger tires.

I have a super flow knockoff from HF that does OK. As a general rule, if it runs off a cigarette lighter, its going to be pretty slow. (Most are 15 amp now days...). The faster ones draw more power and will come with clamps or need to be wired directly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles