Complete Newbie to vehicle modification

Lift only really helps if you are dragging and need more clearance or want to run bigger tires.

I have a super flow knockoff from HF that does OK. As a general rule, if it runs off a cigarette lighter, its going to be pretty slow. (Most are 15 amp now days...). The faster ones draw more power and will come with clamps or need to be wired directly.

I bumped up from the stock tires to something little taller/wider when I bought the truck, and the 265/70-17's fit fine.

The power draw on the compressor shouldn't be an issue if I'm sitting there with the truck running, right?

Fog cutter, et al., thanks for all the helpful links! You're killing my productivity at work, but I'm learning a lot!

I think I'll skip the Hi-lift for now, it just seems like an easy way to damage my vehicle or myself. Recovery shackles from and rear are required, as is a good tow strap, chain and comealong. MaxTrax are on the "to buy" list once I have a few hundred bucks sitting around.

It seems like a lot of this isn't so much "modifying the truck" as it is "filling it with stuff to keep it moving." Which is not a bad thing.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yes, the compressor and truck will be happier with the truck running but you still can't power a fast compressor off the lighter socket. :)

onetraveller

Adventurer
I have the Viair 88p and it works very well for it's price on my 275/70r18 Coopers. The 300P will fill your tires even faster.

Mike

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have a Viair 90p and it seems to work as well as my previous MV-50. Nice things about the 90p are that the air hose is permanently attached and the valve clamps on to the stem vs the MV-50's screw-on system. Makes for quicker attachments and detachments.
And did I hear you right that a modern full size pickup truck doesn't come from the factory with a 2" receiver hitch? What the hell?
I also think you'll be fine with 2WD in the part of the country you're in. A decent set of tires is really all you need for most of the roads around there unless you're going through deep mud. I "explored" all over WY, UT and CO in my 2wd Ford Ranger. You just have to know your limitations.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
OP: If you don't already know this, check the sticker (probably inside the glove box) that shows the option codes on your truck. If there is a "G80" code listed, then you have what GM calls an automatic locking differential. G80 in their SUVs indicates a limited slip diff. I have both and there is a definite difference between the two G80s, but either one is way better than an open diff. If you can hear an occasional clanking noise from the diff then you probably have the auto locker. It's not a real locker, but it works reasonably well for what it is.

When you get into mud or soft sand, vehicle weight is your enemy. Smaller, lighter vehicles will be able to get through areas that could bog you down, so don't carry more than you need in those areas.

OP: If you don't already know this, check the sticker (probably inside the glove box) that shows the option codes on your truck. If there is a "G80" code listed, then you have what GM calls an automatic locking differential. G80 in their SUVs indicates a limited slip diff. I have both and there is a definite difference between the two G80s, but either one is way better than an open diff. If you can hear an occasional clanking noise from the diff then you probably have the auto locker. It's not a real locker, but it works reasonably well for what it is.

When you get into mud or soft sand, vehicle weight is your enemy. Smaller, lighter vehicles will be able to get through areas that could bog you down, so don't carry more than you need in those areas.

I checked; no G80. A proper rear locker (ARB or similar) is on the wish list, but unlikely to happen in the short term.

I had actually been wondering about adding weight over the rear end (near the rear axle, inside the wheelbase) to at least improve weight distribution, but I came to the conclusion that the amount of weight I would've needed would be way more trouble than it was worth. Not that this truck will ever be a lightweight, mind you

mccustomize

Explorer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Silverado-Suburban-Tahoe-Avalanche-Sierra-Yukon-Factory-Black-Tow-Hooks-/171838703398?hash=item2802628726&vxp=mtr

Tow hooks on ebay, you just punch out the spot in your bumper valance for them.

I'm in central texas as well. Skip the Hi-lift IMO and get a locker, spacer leveling kit for the front and some all terrains, that should work just fine for what you want to do. I would also not spend the money on an ARB or selectable locker in your situation, a lunchbox locker would work just fine. I have a Detroit in my chevy.

rabbiporkchop

Adventurer
recovery points

I would start out with some decent bumpers to begin with...

Rear
ford-super-dity-premium-rear-bumper.jpg

front
A1351.900.jpg

jeff parker

Observer
For Big Bend just load up and go. I've done the Old Ore Road in a Dodge Neon. Black Gap is the only one I would not try solo with 2WD. A compressor will be handy so you can air down for the River Road.

I've gone out to Big Bend Ranch SP a couple of times in my old 2wd Tundra with no issues, but I've stuck primarily to the 2wd-rated roads. My only trip to the Nat'l Park was while work was being done to Old Maverick Rd, so the only off-pavement work the Tundra got was a brief trip on the Glen Springs Rd (at the end of a long day, with a very tired fiancee). The only rough roads the Silverado has seen were the 40 or so miles of dirt roads leading in and out of Chaco Culture National Historic Park in AZ.

A quick non-update: Thus far, all my planned vehicle modifications have transformed into dental work, a new bed/mattress/headboard, and a hedgehog named Biscuit. Somehow getting married means my money is no longer mine; this was not in the brochure :) One of these days. I think the compressor and a set of MaxTrax are going to be first; I'm looking at a job in the Pineywoods of East Tx and I may need some sand recovery options when I go exploring the Nat'l Forests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94