Won't run... Lost on where to go next

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Hey all been a while since I have posted anything, work and kids make it tough to do anything. So the other night after replacing the alternator the sport just died. Code reader wouldn't work. Got another one. Now I have a crank sensor a sensor wire fault, brake light, battery light, and oil light on... And it won't run.

Any ideas or thoughts on where I should go with this would be helpful.

The rig is a 2001 Montero Sport 3.5l A/T

BOPOH

Explorer
it maybe a dumb question but did you recheck connections? does it crank at all, when you press brake pedal does any lights go away? How do you know that your crank sensor or wire faulty? it's just strange that all this happen after replacing alternator

Last edited:

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I have checked all my connections, no lights go away. I get a CEL for my crank sensor. Turns over strong no running.
And yes I agree all this happening after alt replace is fuggin nuts.

BOPOH

Explorer
if i'm not mistaken crank sensor wire goes to the top of the engine, did you check there maybe you knocked off something or bent it while working on alternator?

montypower

Adventure Time!
Mine did something similar. Wierd issue with ecu harness connection to ecu. Cleaning and reseating fixed it. I had to get a good mechanic buddy to track down the problem. You may want to have a good troubleshooter look at it.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I am worried it is the ECU. I did forget to mention that I grounded my ratchect while taking off the bolt on my alt. I have checked fuses and all are good. Is there maybe a fuseable link in that line?

PA_JERO

Adventurer
i believe there is a fuse at battery clamp

This is true^^^. That will stop your truck from running but I also thought it would stop it from cranking as well. Not totally sure on that. But grounding that may have blown it. It's like a green 40amp fuse I believe. Otherwise it could very well be your crank sensor. If you messed up a wire, disconnected it by accident, frayed the wire in any way it will keep the truck from firing. The crank wire runs down in front of the timing covers for a short way before going behind them near the coolant pipe about center of the front of the engine. It should be 2 wires. Don't be mistaken though, your cam position sensor also runs with it for a short way as well.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
It was running fine, then one day my Battery and brake lights came on. So Alt change was done. Now I was driving it to work and then it just stopped running. Has a new battery and now a new alt too but not running.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Maybe, I will look into it. I did some checking and every fuse and wire seemed fine. Although I did seem to get High resistance from my coil packs. Service manual says .74-.90 I was getting 1.4 on all of them with my dvom set and 200. I couldn't get lower. However is this a cause or a effect of my problem. Still can't figure out why the oil light is on with brake and battery light...

BOPOH

Explorer
I had issues with starting after i drove through a creek, but pulling the alarm system seemed to fix it. It would turn the engine over but it didnt want to start, it was like starter was the only thing working

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Yipes! :Wow1: hope that was the only issue. Did it cause any damage besides just the sensor? Is the gear ok?

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Looks like everything is okay inspected belt and all looks fine. Gear is fine, so is the part that pulses the signal. So that is good all is going together well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94