Sat phone advice

JohnnyS

Explorer
So...time to buy a sat phone for emergencies in the back country. I'm in too many vehicles to rely on radio comms and a SPOT doesn't give me the communication options I need, "Send a medevac bird to these coordinates and be prepped for a sucking chest wound", etc...
I used sat phones a lot at work in the past but it has been a few years and I'm sure things have changed a lot.

It won't be for normal comms just emergencies and occasional checking of voicemail.

This Iridium doesn't look bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Iridium-BPKT0...05015&sr=8-2&keywords=iridium+satellite+phone

http://www.amazon.com/Iridium-Pre-p...05015&sr=8-6&keywords=iridium+satellite+phone

Input?

Thanks!!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
For anyone you consider going with I'd find out what their procedure is if they change SIM cards.
Find out if they will disable your existing SIM without confirmation that you've installed your new SIM.

EMrider

Explorer
J
So...time to buy a sat phone for emergencies in the back country. I'm in too many vehicles to rely on radio comms and a SPOT doesn't give me the communication options I need, "Send a medevac bird to these coordinates and be prepped for a sucking chest wound", etc...
I used sat phones a lot at work in the past but it has been a few years and I'm sure things have changed a lot.

It won't be for normal comms just emergencies and occasional checking of voicemail.

This Iridium doesn't look bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Iridium-BPKT0...05015&sr=8-2&keywords=iridium+satellite+phone

http://www.amazon.com/Iridium-Pre-p...05015&sr=8-6&keywords=iridium+satellite+phone

Input?

Thanks!!

I have been an Iridium customer for about 5-6 years and use the phone only for calling in from the backcountry and in case of an emergency. Their service is reasonably good. With a clear view to the sky I can always get a signal and hold a call. Audio quality is poor, but workable for my purposes. It can also send texts which is helpful.

I only make 10-15 calls per year, but the peace of mind makes the cost worthwhile.

Absolutely do not use Globalstar. I used them prior to Iridium and their service was so bad that I can't believe they have not been sued out of business. With Globalstar it was almost impossible to get a signal let alone hold a call.

Perhaps things have changed in recent years, but I would not take a chance on them again.

Good luck.

R

Kiomon

Adventurer
We have both iridium and inmarsat. Iridium is the way to go. The phone is more durable, it's quicker to acquire a signal, and you even have pole coverage if you are going to are going really south or north.

Look closely at the prices because it's often cheaper to buy a prepaid Sim with a block of minutes than to pay a monthly service charge that includes little to no minutes, as the monthly plans have contracts which prohibits you from switching on and off.

Get the extreme handset from iridium vs. The older one, because it does come with some additional capabilities, most notably the sos button and free GOES support.

JohnnyS

Explorer
We have both iridium and inmarsat. Iridium is the way to go. The phone is more durable, it's quicker to acquire a signal, and you even have pole coverage if you are going to are going really south or north.

Look closely at the prices because it's often cheaper to buy a prepaid Sim with a block of minutes than to pay a monthly service charge that includes little to no minutes, as the monthly plans have contracts which prohibits you from switching on and off.

Get the extreme handset from iridium vs. The older one, because it does come with some additional capabilities, most notably the sos button and free GOES support.

Is this the one you would recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/Iridium-Extre...id=1439754536&sr=8-1&keywords=iridium+extreme

Thanks!!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Good advice about staying away from Globalstar. That constellation has been failing for a long time. REI is trying to scam people with a Globalstar Sat phone.

Your best bet is Iridium . That is what the military uses and works anywhere.

93Cummins

Observer
Stay away from Globalstar. Iridium seems to be far more reliable. I have a Motorola 9505 and am very happy with it. I bought my service through All Road Satellite in San Diego. A few bumps and they do not really have the 24HR customer service they advertise. Happy with Iridium, not with their agent.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Look for a used sat phone on ebay. can be had for under $200. just make sure the model is current enough to fully work with normal tech.

keep an eye on deals like this. We use this model for working in texas. seems to work when we try to call, as reliable as any say phone does.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Iridium-Satellite-Phone-9505-/181838394044?hash=item2a5669b2bc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iridium-950...-Black-Grey-/351482485047?hash=item51d5fd1937

never tried a kyocera but they are older and discontinued.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyocera-SS-66K-Iridium-Satellite-Phone-/261990029916?hash=item3cffd29a5c

Last edited:

Tesoro

I have an Iridium I bought some yrs back for emergencies..came in a pelican case. I would pay 300 bucks a year or so for unlimited talk time billed at x $ per min. I would use it to make calls and send simple emails every 3 mos to make sure it was still good. I dont use it anymore if anyone wants it can PM. Good piece of mind and yes iridium is the way to go.

pluton

Adventurer
Supposedly, Globalstar is coming back from the dead; new satellites, etc.
Remember: at one time in the past, Iridium was crap and went bankrupt.
I have the Inmarsat phone only because both the hardware and the service is/was way cheaper than Iridium.
It's only for emergencies, so I never actually need it. I check it every few months. Also, it sends/receives SMS messages and text-only emails. Firmware updates require Windows PC or equivalent.

Matt_OCENS

Observer
Inmarsat is a great option, particularly in terms of cost. The satellites are geostationary, so as someone else mentioned, if you have a signal and aren't moving, that signal won't fluctuate at all. The drawback to this, is that if you don't have signal, you will have to move in order to get line of site. Iridium and Globalstar have orbiting satellites, so there is always the possibility of one coming into view without having to move.

With the Inmarsat phone (IsatPhone Pro), there is a significant difference from the Gen 1 (now discontinued) to Gen 2 phone in terms of amount of time it takes to register with the network. The Gen 2 phone is practically instant. It is also has beefed up IP and durability and they built in an SOS button and automatic tracking. In my opinion, it is worth paying the difference for the Gen. 2. Also, the IsatPhone Pro offers the best value on airtime. I recommend the prepaid 100 minute plan, just bear in mind that your one risk is potentially running out of minutes (minutes can be added at any time through your service provider). I would not recommend Inmarsat for extreme northern latitudes, such as Alaska or northern Canada because the satellite is so low above the horizon that your line of sight can be easily blocked by obstacles, such as mountains, trees, etc.

In regards to the Iridium phones, any of the models will give you the same coverage and calling capabilities. The main difference you'll find is the size/weight and features included in certain models such as with the Extreme (GPS, SOS, tracking). The Motorolas were built quite well, which is why there are so many still around. If you are looking for a cheaper used phone, look for the 9505a. Just plan on replacing the battery every couple of years, and these are around $100 each. One Iridium plan that has great value (if you're not using a ton of minutes) is the 222 minute prepaid plan, which is valid for 12 months, for $500.

If you have any other questions about airtime let me know.

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
Supposedly, Globalstar is coming back from the dead; new satellites, etc.

I work for a fairly busy guiding company. Sat phones go on all our trips. We used globalstar for my first few years, while they were declining in coverage/quality, etc. We switched to iridium for a few seasons, and they've always worked fine. We've recently gone back to globalstar, as they have added satellites like stated above. Much improved from our last go round with them. Not quite as good as iridium yet, but is working reliably for us and seems to be improving slowly as well.

JohnnyS

Explorer
Inmarsat is a great option, particularly in terms of cost. The satellites are geostationary, so as someone else mentioned, if you have a signal and aren't moving, that signal won't fluctuate at all. The drawback to this, is that if you don't have signal, you will have to move in order to get line of site. Iridium and Globalstar have orbiting satellites, so there is always the possibility of one coming into view without having to move.

With the Inmarsat phone (IsatPhone Pro), there is a significant difference from the Gen 1 (now discontinued) to Gen 2 phone in terms of amount of time it takes to register with the network. The Gen 2 phone is practically instant. It is also has beefed up IP and durability and they built in an SOS button and automatic tracking. In my opinion, it is worth paying the difference for the Gen. 2. Also, the IsatPhone Pro offers the best value on airtime. I recommend the prepaid 100 minute plan, just bear in mind that your one risk is potentially running out of minutes (minutes can be added at any time through your service provider). I would not recommend Inmarsat for extreme northern latitudes, such as Alaska or northern Canada because the satellite is so low above the horizon that your line of sight can be easily blocked by obstacles, such as mountains, trees, etc.

In regards to the Iridium phones, any of the models will give you the same coverage and calling capabilities. The main difference you'll find is the size/weight and features included in certain models such as with the Extreme (GPS, SOS, tracking). The Motorolas were built quite well, which is why there are so many still around. If you are looking for a cheaper used phone, look for the 9505a. Just plan on replacing the battery every couple of years, and these are around $100 each. One Iridium plan that has great value (if you're not using a ton of minutes) is the 222 minute prepaid plan, which is valid for 12 months, for $500.

If you have any other questions about airtime let me know.

How does this sim-card work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I assume you call on a different line and activate it with a C/C?

This one seems like a good deal but it is only valid for a month. I guess you can renew/recharge the card, however can you do this in BFE using that sim card and sat phone?

http://www.amazon.com/minute-Prepaid-Iridium-Satellite-Phone/dp/B004AWLTWC/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_z

I doubt we'll use the phone more than a few minutes a month...hmmm.

Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz