2015 GMC Sierra z71 Half ton Expedition Build

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I try to avoid to big a lift, makes garages and general parking more of an issue, raises your center of gravity and makes getting in & out of doors, bed area tougher.
And going from a 33in to 34in tire only lifts your axle 1/2 an inch. If you are not dragging on ruts or rocks then save the lift money for other stuff.
Also the wider/larger tire will through more mud and rocks up the side/hood of your rig and tear up paint.

I am watching your build to advise a friend who has the same rig. thanks for all your post/thoughts/pics.

mlmeans

Adventurer
My thoughts exactly. I think I'd rather bios suspension up with icon etc maybe lift front couple inches. I think I'll got 285 70 18 since wheels are 18 that may run a little. Dealer said will fit up to 33 tire a tire size I'm looking at is 33.2 so maybe slight trimming maybe half inch spacer... Anyone has thoughts on spacers? I like wheel be in well to avoid unnecessary mud scratches dings etc don't necessarily mind necessary ones.

mlmeans

Adventurer
Does your friend have pics of his rig? I'm open to seeing other ideas as well.

QUOTE=1leglance;1930722]I try to avoid to big a lift, makes garages and general parking more of an issue, raises your center of gravity and makes getting in & out of doors, bed area tougher.
And going from a 33in to 34in tire only lifts your axle 1/2 an inch. If you are not dragging on ruts or rocks then save the lift money for other stuff.
Also the wider/larger tire will through more mud and rocks up the side/hood of your rig and tear up paint.

I am watching your build to advise a friend who has the same rig. thanks for all your post/thoughts/pics.[/QUOTE]

mlmeans

Adventurer
Finally got wheels and tires today. Got 18 x9 wheels 20 mm offset with 2857518 Toyo open country atII tires. I have had good luck with these tires before. Got tires at least Schwab. Had try couple tires to get right look and fit. Really impressed with crew there they helped me tried on several tires and had do little figment trim to get these on right. Little rub but I will address later. Live ride and feel and look

Seabass

Idiot
You got a sweet ride. I had an 02 Silverado for a few years, and it was a great truck. I sold it to my dad and he still drives it every day. While I am one of those "Ford build thread" guys- I really do like pretty much all breeds of trucks. I've owned em' all at one time or another. Each brand had their strong and weak points. I'm kinda crushin' on the OBS F-350's now. Tuff as nails. However, your approach is great. A little lift is ok. Stuff all the rubber you can fit, and keep the rig simple and dependable. I really like your shell set up too. I'd like one of them slides in my bed. Good luck with the rest of your build.

mlmeans

Adventurer
I agree I am thinking 2 or 3 inch lift... Maybe icon suspension front back that set up has adjustment to lift front 1 to 3 inches... Any idea if I would need lift back?

Thanks guys. I am really liking the gmc. I have owned many many toyotas and they are great trucks. Just too small for my family now. I have owned 1 ford f 150 and that was a great truck as well. I've had Isuzu and Nissan smaller truck as well. All did well.

This back has me impressed well thought out quiet adequate power etc. suspension feels a little soft maybe is the shell and slide weight? The new tires and wheels ride great. Softer feel bumps not jarring the truck like the 20s did. I think next is suspension upgrade maybe wheel spacer bring out an inch or 2 and maybe some of those side mud flares.. What are they called? I am drawing a blank right now... Anyways long day I'm tired.

Thanks guys it's a fun build so far.

catfish1312

I have a 2015 Sierra Denali and from what I've seen you will need a .75-1" block in there rear to make the rear level with the front when it's set at 3". 2" will level out the front. I too am looking at the Icon lifts but I don't know how long it will be before I can afford it haha. That's a nice rig btw. I'm looking to put a rack on the bed to mount a tent on. Anyways I will be following your build closely since you're the only other new GMC I've seen haha.

mlmeans

Adventurer
Thanks man. I'd love to see yours as well. It's funny almost no gmc builds ... I don't get it maybe I'm missing something. My wife says I am all the time ��. But when I read threads on half ton recommendations of the big three etc most say gmc ... Go figure right? Again all big three and Toyota I think make awesome trucks now a days.

On the icon thing I was thinking if I could for now get away either ranchos shocks on rear and just get front icon and the. Do the block thing? What you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste