2015 GMC Sierra z71 Half ton Expedition Build

mlmeans

Adventurer
So few issues I trying decide how to handle...truck makes this rock shaking in a coke can sound only when I accelerate. It's not entire time accelerating just the stop,to about 5 mph...

Second issue feels like a random shake in floor board when I'm stopped at red light etc... I do not hear any weird noises but you can feel shake in floor boards... RPms not going to low or high when idling but those both new since tranny rebuild ... Any ideas? I think I'm going to call dealer have them take another look...

I run these trucks in a fleet and don't see the problems other brands have. Just happens, always amazes me how few problems these trucks have when you look at the amount of mechanical things going on behind the scenes. We do change fluids in all our transmissions, diffs, and transfer cases at 50K. Run them up to 175K before trading. Been really dependable pickups for the most part.

watrboy

Observer
I'd say something loose or not secured from the rebuild. Did they actually rebuild the tranny or replace. Seems odd to rebuild unless they just replaced the torque converter or the body. Keep us posted.

So few issues I trying decide how to handle...truck makes this rock shaking in a coke can sound only when I accelerate. It's not entire time accelerating just the stop,to about 5 mph...

Second issue feels like a random shake in floor board when I'm stopped at red light etc... I do not hear any weird noises but you can feel shake in floor boards... RPms not going to low or high when idling but those both new since tranny rebuild ... Any ideas? I think I'm going to call dealer have them take another look...

mlmeans

Adventurer
Said rebuild. Internal parts bearings torque converter fluids cooler etc. yes something rattling bothers heck out of me.

mlmeans

Adventurer
Had rattle taken care of today... Seems a loose clamp somewhere along exhaust... Trucks back to smooth quiet rig now... I'm so glad nothing else serious is of issue. Transmission still feels super smooth after rebuild... I'm falling back in love with the truck...

Past weekend took three oldest kids camping fishing in horse thief in Idaho. Caught some good fish and then drive fire roads up over from cascade to garden valley was fun trip. Truck was great. Kids and I followed map and gps to "figure" out route... Great see kids pull together!

watrboy

Observer
It always amazes me how a little issue can be such an aggravation. Nature of the beast. How many vehicles have been dumped/sold/traded in because supposedly a vehicle was poor quality or a lemon only to be a great vehicle for the new owner.

Glad it was simple and made right.

Had rattle taken care of today... Seems a loose clamp somewhere along exhaust... Trucks back to smooth quiet rig now... I'm so glad nothing else serious is of issue. Transmission still feels super smooth after rebuild... I'm falling back in love with the truck...

Past weekend took three oldest kids camping fishing in horse thief in Idaho. Caught some good fish and then drive fire roads up over from cascade to garden valley was fun trip. Truck was great. Kids and I followed map and gps to "figure" out route... Great see kids pull together!

mlmeans

Adventurer
I agree. After transmission issue the rattle had me "rattled".

Installed today my fab 4 rock sliders. There new design and they look great feel sturdy bolted in in six spots. I like the bolt on and tight up close to cab of truck. Also started removal of chrome badges and door trim. Looks better still have remove some sticky residue but looks cleaner.

Joronimo

Too bad to hear about the trans. I drove a SLE 2016 the other day, seemed pretty much the same as my 2015 as far as the options go, but I was a bit frustrated when I saw the message center had a trans temp. I scrolled through and also noticed the timer feature (basically like a stop watch).
Would be nice to have the trans temp feature, I tend to keep a close eye on it in my 07 when towing.

Have not really heard of any trans issues with these trucks, they do have radiator issues (and water pumps also) and all of the coolers are in the rad itself. Might just be with subjecting the vehicle to the harsher climate up here, not sure how common of a problem this is.

Your '15 should have a trans temp gauge in the message center. My '14 does. You have to add it in the settings for the message center to be displayed when you scroll thru the screens. Check section 5-30 in the owners manual. h

ttps://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals/01_Images/2015-sierra-owners-manual.pdf

watrboy

Observer
I like the look without the decals, badges and door trim. My 2011 is completely nude, but for the Chevy emblem on the grill and tailgate. Can you post pictures of the rock sliders?

I agree. After transmission issue the rattle had me "rattled".

Installed today my fab 4 rock sliders. There new design and they look great feel sturdy bolted in in six spots. I like the bolt on and tight up close to cab of truck. Also started removal of chrome badges and door trim. Looks better still have remove some sticky residue but looks cleaner.

mlmeans

Adventurer
I sure will if I can figure out how post pics through my phone! :) they look very clean and mounted real well.

mlmeans

Adventurer
Funny story... Lady shows up at my house... She ran out of gas... Asked if I had any to spare... I grab my jerry can of gas and see she has a Toyota Prius and she ran out of gas and batteries died! I gave few gallons and jump started her with my Sierra... Was so so funny!

fifty

Adventurer
Cool to see the flex. I have a 15i Denali XL with the magna ride and was wondering how much the rear will work with all that stuff hooked up back there.(does yours have the airbag system too?)

Do you happen to see how much travel the front gets?

OpsWest

2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Crewcab short bed owner here. Love the truck, glad to see someone outfitting one. Been going to OHV parks here in Southern California and really like the rear locker. Have the console center but also picked up the seat on some forums. They are interchangeable FYI - but I understand wanting the extra jump seat.

Looking forward to more pics - thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste