2015 GMC Sierra z71 Half ton Expedition Build

mlmeans

Adventurer
I recently posted a thread for my build but decided it may garner more replies if I post with a new title. I tried to change the title of the other thread but that was beyond me! So I apologies for the "repeat" thread just hoping to get suggestions/advice on the build. Thanks everyone!

Little bit about me: Married (wonderful outdoorsy wife, 4 great kids, 1 dog, 1 horse, 2 cats :)) Large crew to take exploring but enjoy it immensely. I have owned multiple Toyota tacomas, 1 Nissan truck, Ford F150, Subaru, and now the GMC. I find the rigs get better as time goes on. Seems most car companies are building quality rigs. I need half ton for family. Love the new Toyota four runners but need more space. Live in southwest Idaho and loving it here.

So far I have done the following:

RIG: 2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab z71. 5.3 motor, 5.8 bed, almost got diesel but could not justify it... not tow enough I guess.

Installed so far: Leer Shell with locking box and fishing pole holder (led light) 12 volt three prong plug (hot)
DECKED drawer system (one side hunting other expedition tools, etc)
Step boards (smaller kids love them)
Tint front two windows
Dual battery with isolator set up

On order air bag suspension/compressor/air tank (air lift) and Front Runner roof rack set up

Researching wheels/tires leaning towards BF Goodrich all terrians (new style with stiffer side walls getting good reviews)

I am open to suggestions on further additions/modifications.

I will try to get pictures up soon.

mlmeans

Adventurer
Yes we do. I just installed my front runner shell roof rack. Looks great feels solid but a few things I wish the manufacturer would have done differently.

First thing if say is roof rack feels solid and made of decent materials. The rails and supports bolt slide together in several points to really feel as one solid piece. I would buy again. That said the hardware to put together (especially attaching rails) should have been better. Kit came with 8 total nuts and bolts just bRely long enough to be put together through shell. Also had to drill out rails including counter sick for the bolts to sit low enough for supports to slide past the bolt heads. In my opinion this causes loss of strength between rails and shell top as far as holding together. There were no directions for attaching rails to shell. Luckily I've turned a wrench my entire life so installing was pretty straight forward. Having to countersink into rails and to do so guessing the just enough to get foot pad past bolt is a huge no no for manufacturer. This should have been thought out by front runner.

That said again once rack was on and attached it will never come off my truck. Looks good feels good. Oh one other gripe.... The inter rails that wrap around the outside of rack and face up on the rack did not receive the black coating. Manuafturer I guess thought spraying into the channel is too much hassle. Disappointing but win rack made of aluminum I don't see corrosion rust problem obviously. Any thoughts or concerns by you all on this? You all have more experience than I do in these matters.

mlmeans

Adventurer
Next buy is new tires and wheels. I'm looking at 18 fuel wheels with some Toyo at2 285 70 18. I've had these tires before and they really held up well and for daily commuter seem to work great. Thoughts? I do not plan to lift but the shell and decked system in bed seem to have "leveled" the truck for me. :) is this too much tire? Rubbing?

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I highly recommend the BFG T/A KO2s. I've got a set on my 2014 F-150 that are 275/70-18 and love them. Plenty quiet on the road and they haven't made a significant difference on fuel economy over the wimpy stock Goodyear SR-As that were on it.
IMG_6625.JPG
IMG_6482.JPG
IMG_6479.JPG

Last edited:

mlmeans

Adventurer
Great suggestion I've gone back forth in toto or the bfgs you suggest. Bfgs are about 45 dollars cheaper than toto but only have 50k warranty and the Toyo have 65k warranty bfgs appear more trail oriented toyos more Road oriented... Thoughts?

I highly recommend the BFG T/A KO2s. I've got a set on my 2014 F-150 that are 275/70-18 and love them. Plenty quiet on the road and they haven't made a significant difference on fuel economy over the wimpy stock Goodyear SR-As that were on it.
View attachment 300013
View attachment 300011
View attachment 300012

mlmeans

Adventurer
Pricing it out and with warranty and previous positive experiences with toyo I (being a chicken try new) decided go with Toyo AT open country tires for my wheels. 275 65 20 they are 10 ply with 65k warranty and were in stock. Hard to beat for my needs. I drive a lot while on speaker blue tooth phone so these are quiet enough not to disturb while "work"

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Awesome! I've been running Coopers for the last several years and so I went out on a limb with these BFGs. I looked hard at the Toyos myself. Pics, man!!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Do you put all 4 kids in the back seat? Or can you squeeze one in front?
Or does Momma stay home while you go out and play with the kids?

mlmeans

Adventurer
Momma goes with us for sure. She loves outdoors stuff. I got rig with middle folding console on front seat so truck sits 6 people. I love look of front captain seats with fixed console but the flexibility of that additional seat is awesome. Plus makes one of kids sitting in front feel special for awhile ;)

UOTE=Martinjmpr;1907623]Do you put all 4 kids in the back seat? Or can you squeeze one in front?
Or does Momma stay home while you go out and play with the kids?[/QUOTE]

mlmeans

Adventurer
My goal tomorrow will be pictures for sure. Loving new tires they are ten ply E load rating I call feel they are wider little,louder and stiffer than stock. I prefer all of those in a truck.

The air lift system was more than the Firestone set up but the components are top notch. Pics tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste