LabRak FJ80 Rear Cargo Shelf Install/Review

Huttm

I'm new to EP but wanted to share a new product a friend in my local Cruiser club shared with me. I carry a lot of gear and I'm always looking for more storage in my 80. LabRak recently developed a cargo shelf that looked like it would fit my needs perfectly. I was asked to write a review if I liked the shelf. Well, it exceeded my expectations in build quality and functionality. So, I'm sharing.

It bolts to the 3rd row grab handle locations, behind the second row seats and allows you to use the top 8" of space that typically can't be used. I like it a lot.

Install/Review:
The packaging was pretty impressive. After opening the cardboard box I found the whole thing wrapped in heavy paper to avoid scuffing.

All the mounting brackets were wrapped in bubble wrap and zip tied to the rack. Looks UPS proof to me.

Always a plus.

The rack is heavy gauge square mesh that looks like it will never sag, with thick steel mounting brackets. The whole thing has a very nice powder coat finish. The mounting hardware is stainless carriage bolts & stainless flanged nylock nuts. It's all high quality.

I did notice no installation instructions. Doesn't look difficult but instructions are always nice.

I assembled the rack before installing it. The shelf drops into the side brackets making it very strong. The keyed holes and carriage bolts made assembly very quick and easy. I had to play with the spacing a little before installation. I like the location.

The side brackets bolt directly in the third row grab handle mounting holes (remove the handles). They fit perfectly. The spacers and necessary hardware is provided. I determined they mounted with the bolt holes forward. It's pretty obvious.

Because I pre-assembled the rack I needed a second person to hold the rack while installing the bolts & spacers in the grab handle locations. In hindsight I think you could install the side brackets, then rack, then front guard. I'm not taking it apart to test this, just a theory.

I don't have a barrier so used the front guard. Mounting it is very easy and straight forward. It mounts just like the side brackets with carriage bolts.

After assembly was compete I noticed a couple spare bolts.:)

The Test:
I ran about 100 mile of the OR Back Country Discovery Route #3 on my way to a family camping trip. The rack remained solid. No creaks or rattles. I slept in the truck Friday night so the above head storage was very nice.

One thing I really like is the quick access. The smaller things I usually lose are right there easy to find.

I have a Foxwing awning, the poles and tie downs were always in the way or lost. Now they're easily accessible through the side window and not in the way. I'm pretty happy.

You do lose a little visibility through the back window. Personally I carry a lot of gear and gave up on seeing through the back window a long time ago.

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
Nice write up and thanks for sharing. When traveling with a family cargo space is a very valuable thing, every inch counts, even in and 80 series!

Huttm

I missed the light so added my own. Very simple, LED strip lights from Amazon wired into the original overhead light.

LabRak%20Shelf%20Lights_zpsuy3r4l0t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I would think about gluing some foam padding the front panel. I could see someone hitting their head on one of those nylock nuts,
since I know it would be me, followed by a whole new form of the English language NSFW.

Huttm

I would think about gluing some foam padding the front panel. I could see someone hitting their head on one of those nylock nuts,
since I know it would be me, followed by a whole new form of the English language NSFW.

I wondered about that too, even considered flipping the bolts. That doesn't work with the keyed holes on the inside of shelf.

Luckily I don't have any friends so don't have to worry about it. My dog owns the back seat and he's not tall enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior