F350 7.3 Powerstroke SCLB 4x4 ZF5 97' OBS Build w/ Lance Camper

underdrive

jackwagon
I currently have a pretty solid fuel leak (diesel in the engine block valley and on everything underneath it). How hard is it to fix this myself? Does anyone have a detailed post on how to fix this common issue? A mechanic in Oceanside quote me $800 which seems like too much. Does anyone have a diesel mechanic they can recommend in the North County San Diego area?
Fuel filter housing on these trucks have a few places that could leak. Wash and clean everything up real good and take a look again and see if you can locate the spot where whatever is leaking drips on the valley floor. That could be a suggestion as to where the leak is coming from. IMHO with fuel actually visually checking for leaks only gets you so far, sometimes you just have to get your hand in there and feel around till you find at leas a trail of the leaking fuel... White paper towels also help, as long as whatever you're wrapping in them is relatively clean to begin with.

I currently have 235/75r 16's on it and am looking for something a touch bigger that won't rub on full lock and flexed at all (with stock rims and suspension). Those of you running 285/75r 16's do you rub and will the tires wear properly on the stock 16x7's? Also will a full size spare fit in the stock location?
Pretty sure that since you have a 1-ton the 285s will clear, if they don't then the area you'll most likely be trimming would be the corners of the front bumper. By the way you also have the choice of 265/75-16, that's a tire that's just as tall as what you have now but slightly wider, and with 400 lbs higher load rating (good thing since you have that camper back there). The 265s fit on these trucks like they are OEM equipment (and IMHO they really should have been), perfect match for the 7" wide wheels.

One of the locations that I like to frequent is a 500 mile+ roundtrip from the nearest PEMEX that has diesel (My current range with camper is about 450 miles). Has anyone with an OBS put a 38 gallon bronco tank where the rear tank is? How hard is it to pull this off?
The Bronco tank is only 33 gallons, 34-35 if you "harpoon" it and fill till the fuel is right up to the cap. That tank is also a major annoyance to install, to do it right you really want the Bronco frame crossmember it attaches to on one end, good luck finding one of those since they're riveted in place and thus your only source would be either a salvage yard or someone cutting a Bronco up for scrap. You can do without it, we have on our truck, but it's really not worth the aggravation... Instead I'd suggest looking into an aftermarket 38-gallon tank - IIRC the one you want is "Spectra 26E" (could be the 26D so google that one too, but I'm pretty sure it was the 26E model), that will install in the exact place of your factory rear tank, you'll just have to extend the fuel pickup and return lines inside it (I think the kit comes with the tank) and then you'll have to use longer bolts and spacers for the straps and skid plates to reach up to the frame again. Really detailed write-ups can be found on IIRC the PowerstrokeArmy and/or PowerstrokeNation discussion boards.

I had extended diff, tranny and transfer case breathers on my tacoma. Does anyone have a post on how to do this (or any advice)? I don't plan on fording anything gnarly but with the impending El Nino don't want to get stopped by a flooded vado.
The ZF must vent thru the shifter tower, as there are no external vents to be seen anywhere on its case. The T-case should be the Borg-Warner 4407 model, pretty sure that comes with a barb fitting in it and a short vent hose already attached to it - I'll verify this for you tomorrow, but if that is indeed the case then it would be as simple as ditching whatever vent hose is in there now and replacing it with a longer one routed up to the firewall or something, very much like how you did your Taco.

For the time being I am planning on the leaving the stock leaves on and want to save up for the RSK shackle reversal plus Atalas expo leaves on all four corners. I am thinking about throwing on Bilstien 5100's, but have never owned this large of a rig before will they control 10k in weight OK (I know it won't ride like my mid travel Tacoma haha)?
RSK or shackle flip? RSK is for the front axle, it moves the shackles from behind the bumper to under the cab, makes the truck more stable and if you buy a kit that allows the use of the longer Superduty ('99-'04 trucks) springs it will also ride much nicer as well. You get some lift out of the affair too, as little as 2-1/4" with the PMF kit, but you can go more if you want to. The shackle flip is for the rear axle, it's best used for getting rid of the factory lift blocks between the springs and the axle - the 4.5" Sky Offroad kit allows you to ditch the blocks and keep the truck at its current ride height, the 6" version will probably work well with a front 2-1/4" RSK from PMF. This is all without touching the factory leaves, if you're going aftermarket then you could just get high-arch rear springs and leave the shackles in their factory form. Actually with that camper right above the rear axle, I'd be very tempted to do just that - when in tension (factory setup) the shackles will try to self-center the axle under load, with the flipped shackles (that puts them in compression) they MAY cause the axle to SLIGHTLY wander left-ride on you with the camper in the bed.

Regarding the camper I plan on adding solar panels, a 12v fridge and couple of other gizmos to make my stay more comfortable. Any words of advice to make my Lance camper more solid off road? I predominately drive graded dirt roads, with some moondust and beach driving.
Your first priority should be making sure she can't slide around in the bed. A simple rubber mat on the bed floor will do wonders for that, but what you really want is some sort of framework that wedges inside the bed and cradles the camper in the position you want it. Also lose those bed-mounted front tie-downs, and instead buy something that bolts to the frame of the truck. Rear tie-downs appear to be going tp the truck's bumper, that should be alright as you want to allow some flex there anyways. Next you'll want the turnbuckles to be of the spring-loaded design, which yours look like they already may be that, if they are you're all set there. These are just basics for any camper that's being used off the nice and smooth paved roads.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Great advice by all. I would add one thing. Doing a shackle flip will raise the center of gravity in the rear. Not a good thing when hauling a camper unless it's light weight.

underdrive

jackwagon
Any lift will jack up the COG tho, whether it's a shackle flip or just high-arch leaves. Solution usually comes in the form of a big swaybar, seen someone retrofit a monster from a boom truck for an utility company to a 1-ton camper hauler, the only sway he experienced was caused by the tires which being 19.5s you can guess how much their sidewalls gave. That same guy also had air bellows on all four corners, whenever he'd get a bit off-camber with the camper he'd just on-the-fly pump up the bellows on the low side and he was back to near-level. Course that trick only works if you remember to disconnect the aforementioned anti-sway monstrosity first, yeah didn't take him long to figure out his boo-boo there :p

BajaSurfRig

My fuel pump was leaking out of the little hole at the bottom of it. After replacing it and a couple of o-rings I am now leak free!

BajaSurfRig

Fuel filter housing on these trucks have a few places that could leak. Wash and clean everything up real good and take a look again and see if you can locate the spot where whatever is leaking drips on the valley floor. That could be a suggestion as to where the leak is coming from. IMHO with fuel actually visually checking for leaks only gets you so far, sometimes you just have to get your hand in there and feel around till you find at leas a trail of the leaking fuel... White paper towels also help, as long as whatever you're wrapping in them is relatively clean to begin with.

I was able to pinpoint the fuel leak with some help from the Truck Shop in Temecula and I am now leak free!

Pretty sure that since you have a 1-ton the 285s will clear, if they don't then the area you'll most likely be trimming would be the corners of the front bumper. By the way you also have the choice of 265/75-16, that's a tire that's just as tall as what you have now but slightly wider, and with 400 lbs higher load rating (good thing since you have that camper back there). The 265s fit on these trucks like they are OEM equipment (and IMHO they really should have been), perfect match for the 7" wide wheels.

I am most likely going to go with the new bfg a/t's in 285. Looking to pick these up in October or November.

The Bronco tank is only 33 gallons, 34-35 if you "harpoon" it and fill till the fuel is right up to the cap. That tank is also a major annoyance to install, to do it right you really want the Bronco frame crossmember it attaches to on one end, good luck finding one of those since they're riveted in place and thus your only source would be either a salvage yard or someone cutting a Bronco up for scrap. You can do without it, we have on our truck, but it's really not worth the aggravation... Instead I'd suggest looking into an aftermarket 38-gallon tank - IIRC the one you want is "Spectra 26E" (could be the 26D so google that one too, but I'm pretty sure it was the 26E model), that will install in the exact place of your factory rear tank, you'll just have to extend the fuel pickup and return lines inside it (I think the kit comes with the tank) and then you'll have to use longer bolts and spacers for the straps and skid plates to reach up to the frame again. Really detailed write-ups can be found on IIRC the PowerstrokeArmy and/or PowerstrokeNation discussion boards.

Can you use your factory skid plate with the 26D?

The ZF must vent thru the shifter tower, as there are no external vents to be seen anywhere on its case. The T-case should be the Borg-Warner 4407 model, pretty sure that comes with a barb fitting in it and a short vent hose already attached to it - I'll verify this for you tomorrow, but if that is indeed the case then it would be as simple as ditching whatever vent hose is in there now and replacing it with a longer one routed up to the firewall or something, very much like how you did your Taco.

Any chance that you were able to pin point the barb fitting on the transfer case? I am planning on installing diff breathers next weekend if my schedule allows it.

RSK or shackle flip? RSK is for the front axle, it moves the shackles from behind the bumper to under the cab, makes the truck more stable and if you buy a kit that allows the use of the longer Superduty ('99-'04 trucks) springs it will also ride much nicer as well. You get some lift out of the affair too, as little as 2-1/4" with the PMF kit, but you can go more if you want to. The shackle flip is for the rear axle, it's best used for getting rid of the factory lift blocks between the springs and the axle - the 4.5" Sky Offroad kit allows you to ditch the blocks and keep the truck at its current ride height, the 6" version will probably work well with a front 2-1/4" RSK from PMF. This is all without touching the factory leaves, if you're going aftermarket then you could just get high-arch rear springs and leave the shackles in their factory form. Actually with that camper right above the rear axle, I'd be very tempted to do just that - when in tension (factory setup) the shackles will try to self-center the axle under load, with the flipped shackles (that puts them in compression) they MAY cause the axle to SLIGHTLY wander left-ride on you with the camper in the bed.

I meant to say the RSK kit from Sky Offroad with new springs on all corners from Atlas springs. I don't plan on get a shackle flip in the rear. Just some taller springs so I can ditch those lift blocks in the rear. This set up will probably raise the truck 2"-3", but I am hoping that the improved ride will compensate for raising the COG.

Your first priority should be making sure she can't slide around in the bed. A simple rubber mat on the bed floor will do wonders for that, but what you really want is some sort of framework that wedges inside the bed and cradles the camper in the position you want it. Also lose those bed-mounted front tie-downs, and instead buy something that bolts to the frame of the truck. Rear tie-downs appear to be going tp the truck's bumper, that should be alright as you want to allow some flex there anyways. Next you'll want the turnbuckles to be of the spring-loaded design, which yours look like they already may be that, if they are you're all set there. These are just basics for any camper that's being used off the nice and smooth paved roads.

I just got my DEEZEE hd bed mat in the mail today! Is there a particle brand of frame mounted tie downs that you recommend along with new turnbuckles as my existing ones won't be long enough in the front. Thanks for all of the advice Underdrive!

underdrive

jackwagon
So what was the fuel leak source?

285/75-16 tires have the highest load rating of all E-rated 16" tires IIRC. Good choice on size. Choice of BFGs, idk, never ran the new ones. Buy them, run them, if you're not happy sell them while their mileage is still low, and try something else. Only you will be able to judge what works for your needs and what doesn't. But for a camper-hauler stick to tires with very thick sidewalls - there are some otherwise great tires out there (Duratracs?) that may not live a happy life when offroaded while heavily loaded.

Fuel tank skid plate, yes, you reuse the factory one. Basically the tank has the exact same bottom shape as your factory one, think of it as a factory tank cut in half horizontally, some 6" or whatever added to the walls, then top and bottom welded back on. Not how it's actually made of course, but gives you the idea of what it looks like. So factory skid plate still goes under the tank, only now it sits much lower (and thus away from the frame) than before, so you just need longer bolts (some people use all-thread) with some spacers to bolt it back in place.

Sorry, forgot about the 4407 vent. I'll check later today. Even put myself a reminder for it in the phone this time, lol.

Get the Sky RSK that uses the '99-'04 Superduty leaves, they are longer and ride nicer. Then have Atlas build you springs for a '99-'04 Superduty truck. Or you can buy new Ford leaves pretty reasonably priced, tho you wanna do your homework there - many people go with the V-code leaves however they apparently are for trucks with high axle loads (think snowplow), others have found out that X-code (IIRC for Excursion SUVs) ride quite a bit nicer than the V-codes... Just something I remember seeing around the web. Our current soft-ride solution for our diesel is springs for a gas-powered truck (softer than diesel ones) with air bellows on top of them. Diesel-specs shocks tho, we are very nose-heavy, need the extra damping.

Good call on the DeeZee mat, how thick is it? On the camper tie-downs, I know of one brand that offers frame-mounted ones for sure, Tork-Lift. The Happijac brand suggested by Regcabguy may also make frame mounts, but quite frankly we never cared to look into either of them, as we just built ours into the rock sliders. Spring-loaded tie-downs are probably available from both of the aforementioned manufacturers as well.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I'm very happy with my Happijac tiedowns. Been on two trucks now and don't sacrifice ground clearance like Torklifts. I personally think Torklift tiedowns or bellybars are more likely to damage campers but that's just IMO.

I use a 1/2" horse mat from TSC. Very durable, thicker than bedmats and have a nice texture to prevent slipping. Bedmats are slick'r'n snot in rain.

If you don't already have a set of Torklift Stable-loads, get some. You'll thank me.

underdrive

jackwagon
Alright, so the vent for the 4407 case should be right above the electric switch for the indicator lamps on the dash, follow the harness to the one thing on the driver side kinda towards the front of the t-case. The vent has a rubber right-angle elbow then a few inches of straight tube pointing up towards the cab floor. Should be able to just pull that elbow off, and slide a rubber hose in its place, then extend the hose's other end to where you feel is a good spot for the breather.

Seabass

Idiot
So I use tapatalk and have been reading only subscribed threads all summer. I caught this last night and see how much I've been missing. Congrats on your new truck. They are tuff as nails. The fuel leak, I hear the fuel bowl and pump assembly is prone to fail. My truck is still on its original. I too have relatively low mileage (146,000). I didn't catch if you'd got that figured out. It's expensive if that's your problem. Tires.....I ran 285's on stock suspension. No problems. Fierce Attitude 10ply's. Awesome tires! Now I have a few inches of lift and run 315's. I'd give my eye teeth if I'd have done a shackle reversal. I stacked skyjacker add-a-leaves. It's ok. Rides a little bouncy. But, it's a freaking 1-ton truck, not a caddie! Fuel tank- I got a Titan 40 gal in the front position. It's nice. It was on the truck when I bought it. They are pricey. I'd strongly recommend against much lift. When I had my slide-in it was a little too top heavy. I had a pop-up.....I'd say with your hard side you'd be sorry if you went with any more height. These old trucks ride pretty tall stock anyways. But you got a nice ride, and I'm definitely subscribing. The guys here on the portal are the best. You'll get nothing but help.

BajaSurfRig

Thanks for the recommendation I will keep them in mind for the future. I ended heading up to the Truck Shop in Temecula to get my fuel leak situation figured out.

BajaSurfRig

Alright, so the vent for the 4407 case should be right above the electric switch for the indicator lamps on the dash, follow the harness to the one thing on the driver side kinda towards the front of the t-case. The vent has a rubber right-angle elbow then a few inches of straight tube pointing up towards the cab floor. Should be able to just pull that elbow off, and slide a rubber hose in its place, then extend the hose's other end to where you feel is a good spot for the breather.

Underdrive thank you for this information and all of your advice! I hope to install breathers at some point during the next month. I will post pictures of it.

BajaSurfRig

Seabass you have a sick rig! Yeah I got the whole situation figured out but it cost me $800 :Wow1: I am hoping to get my suspension dialed coming up here in the next year or so. Custom springs all the way around with rebuildable shocks that are properly valved for this beast!

BajaSurfRig

Hi Guys,

Sorry it has been a while since I have posted I have been busy with work. I finally got to take my rig on a little adventure this weekend and am now pretty sure that I am going to ditch the old Lance camper for a FWC Grandby (if anyone knows someone who is selling one for under $5k please let me know). There was a mild washout on a fire road up in Idyllwild, I got out and walked my line and still almost ended up on my side. :sombrero:This huge camper is just way to top heavy... My new DeeZee bed mat did a great job keeping the camper in place though.

All in all the truck performed flawlessly even with a huge camper on the back. I can't wait to see what I can do with a pretty set of springs, lockers and a FWC! 20150919_170924.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Hi Guys,

Sorry it has been a while since I have posted I have been busy with work. I finally got to take my rig on a little adventure this weekend and am now pretty sure that I am going to ditch the old Lance camper for a FWC Grandby (if anyone knows someone who is selling one for under $5k please let me know). There was a mild washout on a fire road up in Idyllwild, I got out and walked my line and still almost ended up on my side. :sombrero:This huge camper is just way to top heavy... My new DeeZee bed mat did a great job keeping the camper in place though.

All in all the truck performed flawlessly even with a huge camper on the back. I can't wait to see what I can do with a pretty set of springs, lockers and a FWC! View attachment 305539

I went through the same learning curve. Those big slide ins are HEAVY!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior