F350 7.3 Powerstroke SCLB 4x4 ZF5 97' OBS Build w/ Lance Camper

Hi Guys,

I have been working on getting my engine dialed to make sure that it is reliable and ready for this winter. It is my daily driver and I am a broke small business owner so this will be a slow build.

Recently replaced:

Belt tensioner

20151028_132757.jpg

Air conditioner condensor (my pulley was locked up and was eating my fan belt).

20151028_132805.jpg

And put two new optima red top batteries in

20151028_132720.jpg

I also recently got 5 BFG At ko2 2857/ 75 r16

20151028_132458.jpg

Lastly here is a shot of my rig at work without the huge Lance on the back

20151028_132435.jpg

I am in the process of trying to sell my big old Lance while fixing it up at the same time. I haven't been able to find a FWC in my price range and every Callen that pops up on craigslist that is half decent is gone the next day. I am hoping that with the sale of my Lance I will be able to pick up an RSK kit and some junk yard V-code springs for the front and b codes for the rear to improve my ride and handling off road. If not I will just use it this winter in Mex and just go really slow off road and stay away from the areas with off-cambered roads and deep moon dust. My first trip will be early to mid December and another one in Jan/ February getting psyched for El Nino!

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Underdrive,

To answer your question the DeeZee bedmat is 3/16 of an inch thick. So far it is working really well. I am hoping to install some diff/ tranny/ transfer case breathers in the next week or so. Do you know what diameter the tubing should be by any chance?

Thanks,

Matt

underdrive

jackwagon
The rubber elbow on the 4407 I can get my hands on was very nicely stuck last time I tried messing with it, so really can't tell ya for sure what it has. Looks like 1/4" tho. Also our axles are 1/4" vents for sure, you got the same axles, so 1/4" should work for you as well. But you can also try 5/16" like Pappawheely did. All we had excess of at the time was 1/4" hose so that's what we used.

In any case, truck looks beautiful, clean and simple. Sometimes I wish ours still looked like that, instead of the monstrosity it has gradually turned into... Maybe that's why the better half has lately been scouring Craigslist for another one - can't have too many of them things :D

What happened to your front bumper?

Also, in regards to your off-camber experience with the camper, be aware that any lift kit will make that situation worse. Therefore I'd suggest that you go with the lowest RSK possible - last time I checked that was PMF's 2" kit, but I think Sky were also working on something like that, heck maybe it's even out already.

BajaSurfRig

Greg,

The 285 barely fits in the stock location, but it does work. I will have to make some modifications to the whole set up to fit a spectra tank in there though.

BajaSurfRig

The rubber elbow on the 4407 I can get my hands on was very nicely stuck last time I tried messing with it, so really can't tell ya for sure what it has. Looks like 1/4" tho. Also our axles are 1/4" vents for sure, you got the same axles, so 1/4" should work for you as well. But you can also try 5/16" like Pappawheely did. All we had excess of at the time was 1/4" hose so that's what we used.

In any case, truck looks beautiful, clean and simple. Sometimes I wish ours still looked like that, instead of the monstrosity it has gradually turned into... Maybe that's why the better half has lately been scouring Craigslist for another one - can't have too many of them things :D

What happened to your front bumper?

Also, in regards to your off-camber experience with the camper, be aware that any lift kit will make that situation worse. Therefore I'd suggest that you go with the lowest RSK possible - last time I checked that was PMF's 2" kit, but I think Sky were also working on something like that, heck maybe it's even out already.

Underdrive,

Thanks for the quick response. Thanks for the compliments on my rig, your set up is sweet! I will most likely use the 1/4" hose but I might have some 5/16" laying around. I think the smallest one offered is by PMF and it is 2.25". I don't really want to lift it at all I just want better ride quality, because right now dirt roads are brutal unless I am going 5 mph. Luckily alot of the places that I go to in Mexico are quite flat and don't have off-cambered road sections. I took the front bumper off the do some trimming because the 285's rub when flexed and fully locked. I haven't put it back on yet because I am considering grabbing the competition diesel DIY bumper. If anyone has an old OBS winch bumper laying around I would love to grab it from them!

BajaSurfRig

Hey so a pretty sweet Alaskan popped up near me and I am considering getting in and letting my Lance go for a steal. Does anyone on here have experience with the durability and wheelability of an Alaskan camper. I know they are pretty heavy but I do drive a one ton. Will one of these that is 50 years old be able to handle Baja washboard roads? Thanks everyone for the advice!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/5285507837.html

Matt

grotto

Observer
The Alaskan campers were first developed in the 1950's to withstand the rigors of the old AlCan highway. If in sound condition, they should do very well in Baja. Check carefully for wood rot.

underdrive

jackwagon
Hey so a pretty sweet Alaskan popped up near me and I am considering getting in and letting my Lance go for a steal. Does anyone on here have experience with the durability and wheelability of an Alaskan camper. I know they are pretty heavy but I do drive a one ton. Will one of these that is 50 years old be able to handle Baja washboard roads? Thanks everyone for the advice!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/5285507837.html

Matt
I believe the user "RotBox" on here had or possibly still has an Alaskan camper on a crew-cab diesel Ford of your vintage. I'd imagine they'll be able to give you good insight on how your truck will handle the one you found on CL. Just as long as he actually sees this thread. Or you could send them a PM directly...

BajaSurfRig

It is a 1988. I am having trouble selling it for the price that I'd like to sell it for. I may end up just keeping it at this point and only putting in on the truck from mellow offroad adventures (nothing off-cambered). The one you just picked up is pretty sweet. It looks like it is a touch smaller than mine.

BajaSurfRig

Hi Guys,

I just did a little road trip out to J Tree and camped off of some dirt roads with friends and did some climbing.

I drove through a couple of sandy washes and she walked through all of it in two wheel drive.
20151124_072407.jpg

Here is the big girl in her natural environment.
20151124_072104.jpg

I think that she is almost ready for her inaugural Baja mission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier