1996 K1500 GMC Suburban

justcuz

Explorer
I wrenched my shoulder on a tension diagonal. Any of the churning water after a low head or even a few rocks lined up creates so much turbulence your PFD's are practically useless. I am retired now so I am done with the annual training, but yeah that no float turbulence is hard to get out of if the water is deep.
My son is on LACOUNTY FD and is US&R, Hazmat and Swiftwater certified. They do there training at Magic Mountain in the amusement park log ride.

You folks have been getting our El Niño rain I guess, and north of Sacremento all the lakes are full. We in the south got shortchanged big time.

Flyboat

Observer
yes it is. I'm sorry its taking me so long to reply or do anything cool. I've just turned in my application for Texas task force 1. I walk past that dana front axle every day.....

Flyboat

Observer
Well I picked me up a dana 44 from a 73 blazer. the plan is strip everything from the knuckles out and outer shafts to put on the ford dana 44. That way I keep 6 lug wheels to match the 9.5 SF I already have. I know this seems a little counter productive, but I got a good deal on the parts. It has flat top knuckles to go ahead and do crossover steering with. I also got the drive shaft that went to the chevy axle, just in case I can rob parts or make something work. I'm thinking 4.56 gears with simple mechanical lockers front and rear. I don't take corners all that fast, and I don't mind some chattering, probably couldn't hear it anyway. I would like to still be able to jump in it an get on the highway. Everything I want to see seems to be hours away. I have a 350 vortec, 4L60e transmission and of course I have heavy bumpers, winch, and cargo. Planning on no taller than 35" tires. I'd like to stay with off the shelf tire sizes so I don't have to special order anything. I don't mind trucks that ride like trucks. I think I'm heading in the right direction for me and my uses, but I haven't been down this road as far as some of you.

Not looking for ultimate off road performance, just good, strong, and stout. Don't want break downs with a bunch of kids and family onboard looking for fun.

Flyboat

Observer
Been thinking about this for some time. I never was very flexible and I wanted a way to exit the cargo doors of my suburban if I chose to sleep inside. Here is what I came up with. 20170731_163840.jpg20170731_162601.jpg20170731_162557.jpg20170731_162557.jpg

Flyboat

Observer
New seat skins from the seat shop and tuffy console with power ports for the kiddos gadgets20170728_172543.jpg20170728_172543.jpg 20170728_172543.jpgsorry about the duplicates

Flyboat

Observer
brainstorming today, My factory wheels are not going to have a large enough center hole to clear the hubs off a GM dana 44, 75ish I think, are they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles