1996 K1500 GMC Suburban

Flyboat

Observer
I've been lurking around for a while now. This is mostly my daily driver. I've been on the expedition path for a while. I like to have a capable vehicle with plenty of room for kids and gear. I've hunted out of this thing for a week at a time just sleeping in the back. I has currently 209K on it. Just did a complete run fluid/filter change at 200K. Maybe she didn't like me changing her brand of vodka and is mad at me, lol?

I've built a rear bumper and swing out tire carrier based on what I've picked up from here. Other wise I have just tried to keep the truck running good with regular maintenance. However, Friday the rear end let loose. Its a 10 bolt gov lock. I have a wrecking yard that is pulling me a 14bolt semi float 6 lug axle monday. I should have it Tuesday morning. I've ordered the ubolt flip kit and the proper conversion u joint for the 3r shaft. We will see when the axle gets here how much work it is going to need before installation. Down time is critical here. I'm trying to do the job right, but get back on the road soon. The wrecking yard assures me it is a 6lug 14 semi float from the same GMT400 platform and it was a 4wd truck.

I am concerned the new axle will not have the sway bar mounts. Are these really critical on a suburban?

The long term plan is to possibly find a HP dana 44 to swap in the front, but that may be a while and I'll need to take this out of daily service before then.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement in advance, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at this point.
222226_2099930097763_3723065_n.jpg

Flyboat

Observer
209K miles I guess. I tow about a 4-5K lbs trailer 2-3 times a week.

I'm not sure what happened first but the carrier split right where the bolt that holds the pin is.
IMG_3098.jpg

Flyboat

Observer
Does anyone have a source for good reference material for 14 bolt semi float axles? I have searched extensively and am not turning up much.

arveetek

Adventurer
I've got the 10-bolt gov lock rear end in my 2-door Tahoe, and so far it's been holding up just fine. I've got 295K miles on mine.

I think your idea with the semi-float 14 bolt swap is a good one. That's a good upgrade without breaking the bank and having to require a lot of extra work.

Like AA1PR suggested, check out gmc4x4.com. Sparge over there has done this exact swap on his Tahoe.

Casey

Flyboat

Observer
There is lots of info on the swap, but I haven't found anything on the actual care,feeding, rebuilding of a 9.5" 14 bolt. I'd like something with torque specs and tolerances so I can rebuild it if I have to.

justcuz

Explorer
What do you need? I have the Randy's differential book that has all the specs. I bet you could find one at the local library too.
I do know this, the 9.5 semi float has no carrier breaks, has 1.33" diameter axles and 33 spline axle shafts.
I installed one in my 1993 Suburban. The entire rear axle was less than replacing the rear axle bearings and axles on the 10 bolt. It bolted right in with the u bolts and retaining pads from the donor truck (9.5 tubes are bigger than 8.5 10 bolts), parking brake cables hooked right up and needed a conversion u joint. You could address the u joint issue by getting the driveshaft from the donor truck so both would be the same size and bigger than the 10 bolt u joints.
The slip yoke splines are the same in the transfer case.
You also gain the advantage of the much bigger rear brakes on the semi float 9.5.

justcuz

Explorer
I've got the 10-bolt gov lock rear end in my 2-door Tahoe, and so far it's been holding up just fine. I've got 295K miles on mine.

I think your idea with the semi-float 14 bolt swap is a good one. That's a good upgrade without breaking the bank and having to require a lot of extra work.

Like AA1PR suggested, check out gmc4x4.com. Sparge over there has done this exact swap on his Tahoe.

Casey

I thought the diesel Tahoes came with the 4l80E and the SF14 bolt rear axle.

arveetek

Adventurer
I thought the diesel Tahoes came with the 4l80E and the SF14 bolt rear axle.

No, the 2-door Tahoes are a weird mix. While the Suburban 1500 diesels came with the heavier-duty axles with 8-lug wheels, the Tahoe 1500 diesels came with the standard 1/2 ton stuff, including the 10-bolt rear end. I still got the 4L80E though! :D

Casey

justcuz

Explorer
I've never seen a 1500 Suburban with 8 lug wheels. 1992 was the first year for Suburbans and Blazers to get the 88 GMT 400 body style. The pre 92 1500 diesel Suburbans and Blazers (square body) all had 4L60/700R4 trans and the 10 bolt 6 lug rear axle. 92 and newer diesel Suburbans I have only seen in the 2500 series, with the 4L80 trans and the 14 bolt 8 lug rear axle. 92 and newer Blazer/Tahoe diesels I have only seen in the 2 door body style with the 4L80 and the 6 lug 14 bolt semi float.
Yours is the first I have seen with a 10 bolt rear axle. Now I have to research, since you bought yours used I wonder if the 10 bolt was swapped in?

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
This is for Flyboat, the first 2 are 8.5 10 bolt specs and the last one is the 9.5 14 bolt semi float.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 32

BlackPearl

Mine is 1996 2 door 6.5l turbo diesel yukon, my rear end is 3.73 gearing with a 10 bolt "c" clip posi rear end. Thats the way it came from the factory

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94