Stage ONE Complete

HazMan

Observer
If you look closely you might notice the pop top roof frame is separate from the main camper frame with latches holding it on.

The rear roof overhang will be used to mount reversing camera, reversing LED light bar, camp flood lights and to act as a load bearing pulley point for the winch to lower the spare tyre(s) from the tailgate.

This weekend I will start on the tailgate.....

Attachments

• Stockton3.jpg
    Stockton3.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Just noticed... you don't seem to have a lot of clearance between the tyre and camper body at the rear. Have you done any articulation tests to see if you get any issues?

HazMan

Observer
Good spotting.

I have not finished the wheel arch or internal guard for the wheel.

In a previous photo you can see that above the wheel there is no frame as I still need to work out how much clearance I need and then build an internal wheel arch. The sub frame is stepped in behind the rear wheel.

attachment.php

This camper will be a toy hauler type that will carry bikes inside and as such, I wanted the most height between the closed pop top roof and the floor to accommodate front screens/fairings on adventure type bikes. I am prepared to loose a little flat floor space where the wheel arches with intrude into the camper floor. The cut out you see in the walls are just so I can drive it, they would scrub/hit if it went off road.

I do appreciate any input/advice. I have no background, training or skills in any of this other than the will to "have a go" Hey, I only just tough myself to weld as I was doing the subframe (thanks Youtube). I envy the amazing skills and build quality that I see on this forum.

Sean

Last edited:

canter tourer

Adventurer
Love the pop-top, plan to pop my roof at some point, but not sure whether to go the side tilt, or straight up. Either way, your truck looks brilliant.
Dave

HazMan

Observer
This is a pic of the poptop fitting.

Bottom has 50mmx3mm alloy riveted to the inside of the 50mmx50mm frame with about 20mm raised.

Top frame is 50mm x 25mm so that it site flush on the outside and a 25mm void on the inside.

Vinyl has 20mmx3mm alloy strips in top and bottom pockets. It's attached to the inside of the top and the outside of the bottom.

Does that explain it.....?

I have 50mm x 50mm x 3mm right angle on the outside which covers the top of the frame and the edge of my composite panels. This is sealed with Sika guttering goo where it butts against the upright alloy strip.

This photo was when I first put it in...... has more mounting rivets and bolts now.

Sean

Attachments

• PopTop3.jpg
    PopTop3.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 21

HazMan

Observer
I've used "push to open" drawer slides and to stop them opening when driving, I have installed a locking bar. You might notice the key lock in top right corner.

Cupboard will have magnetic latch..... I think. Haven't got that far yet. I like the clean look of no handles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior