Opinions on GMC

Bombsight

Observer
2500HD or 3500HD - Gasoline
Sierra Denali 4x4

.... in particular.

My intentions are to put a 2015 FWC Hawk on it along with a 6.5" BDS lift.

Curious as to your opinions about the overall rig.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 53

mlmeans

Adventurer
I have one and so far really impressed but then again I think all the new trucks are well thought out.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
BDS is probably the best suspension kit you could put on that rig for reasonable money...:wings:

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I have a 2013 Chevy 3500 HD with a Grandby in the back. My suspension is stock Z71 and as far as I'm concerned the truck is bullet proof after almost 25,000 miles and a lot of rough roads. No regrets here.

rayra

Expedition Leader
heh. aren't you supposed to solicit opinions well BEFORE you plunk down a big pile of cash?

They're fine. Especially new. Pretty much a Chevy with a different grill and badging. You look to be well on your way to Bro-ness.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Thanks, guys!
I'm now set on the Denali and FWC Hawk .... just have to decide on a 2500 or 3500 now.

I think this depends on how much payload reserve you want. I chose more and operate at about 1/2 payload, 2,000 lbs out of 4,200 lbs. The 2500 rides better without a load, but with the camper in the back the 3500 rides pretty good. If you're thinking you might ever tow something get the 3500. I never thought I would but now we're talking about a fishing boat.

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
I've got a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4 extended cab with the 6.0L gas engine and a 2014 FWC Hawk on the back. Couldn't be happier with it. The GVWR is 9500 lbs and when fully loaded for camping it comes in at 8800 lbs so I've got payload to spare.

Just my humble opinion but I wouldn't lift it. Makes it look like a poser mall-crawler, but that's just me.

Bombsight

Observer
a poser mall-crawler

:clapsmile .... the rig I'm talking about will never see the light of day unless it's loaded down and headed for no mans land. I have a 13 year old Toyota Tacoma 4x4 for every other day and purpose. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Bombsight

Observer
Has anyone heard of significant cost difference's when insuring for a 1 ton truck vs. a 3/4 ton?

I was informed today that a more expensive policy was needed for the 1 ton vehicles because of thier work duties.

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
:clapsmile .... the rig I'm talking about will never see the light of day unless it's loaded down and headed for no mans land. I have a 13 year old Toyota Tacoma 4x4 for every other day and purpose. Thanks for the info.

Not being critical here, just trying to learn. Why do you want a big lift? Your rig, just like mine, will be about 20' long, over 7' wide, almost 9' tall and close four and one-half tons with a pretty high CG. It's not gonna be a serious rock crawling off roader. Given that, what do you gain with the lift?

BTW - the one thing I would change about mine is the fuel capacity. It's got a 36 gal tank but with the FWC on top I get 11-12 mpg so range is not what I'd like it to be. No one makes an after market tank (that I have been able to find and I don't want to carry fuel cans.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Not being critical here, just trying to learn. Why do you want a big lift? Your rig, just like mine, will be about 20' long, over 7' wide, almost 9' tall and close four and one-half tons with a pretty high CG. It's not gonna be a serious rock crawling off roader. Given that, what do you gain with the lift?

BTW - the one thing I would change about mine is the fuel capacity. It's got a 36 gal tank but with the FWC on top I get 11-12 mpg so range is not what I'd like it to be. No one makes an after market tank (that I have been able to find and I don't want to carry fuel cans.
Mine is not lifted and go where I want to go, stock height. Maybe that's a gasser fuel mpg, but with the diesel I've never worried about range especially in the U.S. With Mexico saying there will be ULSD available everywhere by 2016, I'm not too worried.

Bombsight

Observer

I'm not going to lie ... I like the looks of a lifted truck with a wide stance. Having a wide footprint is a safety bonus with a high cog .... plus its a bit safer when and if I were to be hit from the side by some idiot. I also like the fact that if I got caught in a flood situation, the motor has a little bit better chance of getting me out of the situation before it drowns. There are other reasons, but thats enough justification for me. A 6" lift isnt big in my opinion .... 12"? - yes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior