In camper battery installation?

calstar

Observer
I have a small slide in camper I'm setting up a solar roof panel on that will charge a flooded battery just for use only in the camper. At first I was going to install an under body frame mount for the battery but for convenience am think of installing it inside the camper. The install would be in a front corner next to the cab in a sealed box that vents through the camper wall to the open space between the camper and the side of the truck bed. It seems like this will work to safely vent any hydrogen to the outside where it will dissipate, comments/opinions appreciated.
I already bought the battery when I planned on doing the frame mount and don't want to spend the $ on a sealed unvented one just now.

thanks, Brian

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
I think you will be fine as long as that battery you bought uses a lead-calcium alloy on it's plates (very often these are labeled "Maintenance-Free", though not always). Such batteries have exceptionally low rate of gassing compared to "Low-Maintenance" types.

What I would do is simply have a large hole from the battery box to the outside (between the bed & camper). Put a heavy screen over the hole so bugs, rodents, etc. can't get in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz