Titan Pro4x?

expoguy

Anything good or bad to say? Links to any build threads? Looking at a full-size truck and this might just be the one. Curious on reviews from you guys.

Also anyone have a cheap way to mount a winch to one?

Mostly looking for a truck to tow up to about 7500 pounds and handle some mild to moderate off roading with minimal mods.

Thanks,

expoguy

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just making sure you know the Titan is very dated and the new one is said to be out any day now. Not sure I would recommend purchasing a new one given the ground up redesign will be a considerable improvement on the old one in just about every way. If you like the current one I'd go used 2yrs or so in age to avoid the huge hit in value loss the current trucks will take that are still sitting on the dealer lots.

http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/2016-titan/

bijanjames

Adventurer
A friend of mine got a Titan Pro-4x for 10k off new. 31k out the door. That's a hell of a deal for a full size truck, even if it is a old design. The advantage of its age is reliability, and its a solid platform, with very little technology that will only become costly when the warranty runs out. It has a good old fashion selectable locker, and decent traction control. The 5.6L is reliable but thirsty.

Camelfilter

Explorer
I'm on my 2nd. Bought my first one used, liked it so much I traded it towards a brand new one. Super comfy, both the drive & the interior.

Very good value for the price, even better value now that the new ones (supposedly) will be coming out. I wouldn't buy the new model for at least 2 years (goes for any make).

Proven drive train. 13' & up can have OEM back-up camera, very nice feature. The OEM navigation is ok, aftermarket is better.

However-for about any type of "gadgets" you feel you would like, pop in a new head unit with whatever gadgets you think would be handy. Can easily add in a backup camera as well.

Thirsty? Yes definitely. A bit bellow the same "real world" mileage as any full sized pickup, however a lot more fun to drive. Stock & loaded up for a trip with family & gear expect 12 highway. Towing expect 10, perhaps 8 if it's a big trailer. Around town, stop & go traffic only expect 10. Adding bigger tires, armor etc? Expect lower mileage. If you can deal with that, then absolutely it's a great truck.

Limited aftermarket support, but enough for anything you would want to do overlanding wise.

Be sure you can deal with a 5.5' bed if getting a crew cab. I think the Kings still have a longer bed, but then you lose cabin space. The only real reason for a longer bed would be for a slide in camper, however halftons aren't meant for today's slide ins (FWC & the like excluded). If your future plans might head towards a slide-in, then this is really the wrong class of truck. Look at 3/4 & up.

Towing, however these trucks can haul about anything you'd want a half ton to do & all day long.

justbecause

perpetually lost
An XD will most likely be my next vehicle.

that said, I am 99% sure the XD will be in addition to, not replacement for, the Titan.

My buddy has one and uses it as a real work truck. He works out of it for his job, and pulls a fair sized scout trailer for his troop. I can confirm it is comfortable on the inside, and drinks pretty heavily.

Nissan has stated they want 20% better fuel economy in the Cummings XD than gas titan, if they are comparing that to the current 14mpg then I will not be getting one; fingers crossed they mean 20% better than a gas powered XD, which will hopefully be moving into the 18-22 mpg range like the big 3 have been playing in for some time now.

DesertFront

CONFUSED!
A new Titan is due out 2016 model year but the old ones are a solid vehicle. Been around since 2004 and therefore, (like said by previous posters), outdated but is a good truck that will get you there and back, (unless you run out of gas, mpg sucks)

kmroxo

Observer
The cheap way to mount a winch is to get one in a cradle with a 2" receiver input so you can use it in the hitch. No cheap way I know of to mount it up front. I have a 2012 SL Crew Cab and if I had to do it again I would have gone with the Pro-4X just to avoid having to swap to 18" wheels, add the beefier skids, and add a locker. Though some people aren't too happy that the rear locker only works in low range. The benefit of having to swap wheels might be that I might be able to go down to 17s for even more sidewall, but Pro-4X takeoffs seem to be cheap and easy to come by.

Stokelyvancamp

Gas mileage is the big negative, but if you figure out your annual mileage and figure out the actual difference, it may not matter to you. Range is tolerable in the 600km range.

Not sure if you can go down to 17" wheels on the Pro4X, not a lot of clearance to the front brakes on the 18" stock wheels.

Camelfilter

Explorer
The cheap way to mount a winch is to get one in a cradle with a 2" receiver input so you can use it in the hitch. No cheap way I know of to mount it up front. I have a 2012 SL Crew Cab and if I had to do it again I would have gone with the Pro-4X just to avoid having to swap to 18" wheels, add the beefier skids, and add a locker. Though some people aren't too happy that the rear locker only works in low range. The benefit of having to swap wheels might be that I might be able to go down to 17s for even more sidewall, but Pro-4X takeoffs seem to be cheap and easy to come by.

Supposedly there is a reasonably easy mod to get the rear locker to work in any range. I don't see the need for it, so haven't looked much into it.

At "E" rated tires on stock 18" rims have been fine for me off highway, and that's with the stiffer sidewall. I do suppose it really depends on where & when the OP would like to go offhighway. It's best practice to avoid public land if it's rain / mud season though to avoid premature trail damage.

Obrianmcc

Observer
Just replaced my 10 yr old Titan ... overall was a good truck, but as stated above... a gas hog. I had issues with the cracking exhaust headers at the end, but I'm told Nissan possibly fixed the issue?

KMG

Adventurer
So far the Nissan NV has been a great rig for me. I don't have the ground clearance that some trucks but with the aftermarket 4x4 I've been able to travel where I want. Thirsty but very multifunctional. I'm building a rear "kitchen" to install when camping but easily removed to return the van to cargo status.
IMG_0565.jpgIMG_0558.jpgIMG_0562.jpgIMG_0565.jpgIMG_0556.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior