79 series dual cab build

Rumpig

Adventurer
As some of you may have read already, i picked up a brand new 79 series GXl dual cab Landcruiser about a week ago and was asked if i was going to do a build up thread for it....so here it is
This is going to be a slow ongoing build, as the vehicle cost a bomb to buy and there's only so much i can afford to do to it for a while now. I bought the vehicle as a cab chassis only and have had a guy make a custom body for the rear of it for me. Since i bought the 79 it's been sitting at home not able to be driven due to having no tray on it / it's not street legal. This afternoon i dropped the vehicle off at the guys shop who's making / made the body for it, they'll be fitting the body onto the vehicle tomorrow, so hopefully all going well i'll be able to legally drive it on the street tomorrow afternoon. The vehicle comes standard with a 4.5L V8 turbo diesel engine, factory fitted front and back electronic diff locks, and a snorkel....so it's got a few big ticket items on it already.
THINGS TO COME........I'll be getting a front bullbar fitted which will eventually have a winch added onto it also as finances allow, going to put in a dual battery system (maybe even put a third battery in the rear canopy area), uhf radio (might need to buy a new remote hand piece one as there's nowhere really i like to put the single Din sized one i have), spot / driving lights (I have my old Lightforce ones from previous vehicle in the shed, but i'm going to HID them before putting on the vehicle), brake controller for the camper trailer, side awning (old one from previous vehicle is sitting in my shed), solar panel (old one from previous vehicle is sitting in my shed), roof rack on the vehicle itself, new suspension / lift, bigger exhaust...and likely a few other things also i'm guessing...lol
Below are a few pics i've taken so far....

PICKING UP THE NEW 79 SERIES FROM THE DEALERSHIP....OH WHAT A FEELING (the jump makes sense if you get the same Toyota tv ads we get here...lol)

WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AS I ORDERED IT...the only extra i ordered was the towbar.

A COUPLE OF PICS OF THE BODY I'VE GOTTEN MADE FOR IT...snapped them on my phone when i dropped the vehicle off there today
I'll take better pics of the body once it's all fitted, but you can see on the passenger side (for us in Australia that is), is the fridge slide up front. Under body storage boxes either side behind the rear wheels, a step to reach stuff on the carry racks behind those under body storage boxes. If you look closely you can see on the drivers side inside up the front is where the spare wheel will be mounted, i've put it upfont inside to keep the weight forward, the rear wheels are a long way forward on these vehicles and i'm trying to keep weight behind the rear wheels to a minimum. Behind the spare wheel on the drivers side is a large storage box area to chuck stuff in (better pics of that later on though)

Under the rear of the body you may be able to make out the sliding tray that goes up the centre of the vehicle. The LED lights are currently hanging off the back and not finished being installed just yet.

"The vehicle comes standard with a 4.5L V8 turbo diesel engine, factory fitted front and back electronic diff locks, and a snorkel....so it's got a few big ticket items on it already."

Oh if we could only... The USA sucks when it comes to diesel politics.

I would be curious to know which diffs are in the axles. With a TD V8 they have got to be huge.

Nice truck!

Spore

Looking good. I have the all in one uhf in my single cab, I'm not a huge fan of it, it's hard to hear if there's any other noise around as the speaker is under the dash. You can get an external speaker, but it's just something else to find a spot for. I'm looking at putting a roof console in and mounting a standard single din uhf in it.

Looking forward to the build bud!

Rumpig

Adventurer
I would be curious to know which diffs are in the axles. With a TD V8 they have got to be huge.

Nice truck!
I honestly have no idea exactly what diff and axles this series runs, but i don't recall it being anything special over the older 70 series vehicles. Rear wheel track on these is narrower then the front wheel track, i was under the impression this was due to them keeping on using the older previous style diffs, but i could be mistaken on that.

alan

Explorer
As some of you may have read already, i picked up a brand new 79 series GXl dual cab Landcruiser about a week ago and was asked if i was going to do a build up thread for it....so here it is
This is going to be a slow ongoing build, as the vehicle cost a bomb to buy and there's only so much i can afford to do to it for a while now. I bought the vehicle as a cab chassis only and have had a guy make a custom body for the rear of it for me. Since i bought the 79 it's been sitting at home not able to be driven due to having no tray on it / it's not street legal. This afternoon i dropped the vehicle off at the guys shop who's making / made the body for it, they'll be fitting the body onto the vehicle tomorrow, so hopefully all going well i'll be able to legally drive it on the street tomorrow afternoon. The vehicle comes standard with a 4.5L V8 turbo diesel engine, factory fitted front and back electronic diff locks, and a snorkel....so it's got a few big ticket items on it already.
THINGS TO COME........I'll be getting a front bullbar fitted which will eventually have a winch added onto it also as finances allow, going to put in a dual battery system (maybe even put a third battery in the rear canopy area), uhf radio (might need to buy a new remote hand piece one as there's nowhere really i like to put the single Din sized one i have), spot / driving lights (I have my old Lightforce ones from previous vehicle in the shed, but i'm going to HID them before putting on the vehicle), brake controller for the camper trailer, side awning (old one from previous vehicle is sitting in my shed), solar panel (old one from previous vehicle is sitting in my shed), roof rack on the vehicle itself, new suspension / lift, bigger exhaust...and likely a few other things also i'm guessing...lol
Below are a few pics i've taken so far....

PICKING UP THE NEW 79 SERIES FROM THE DEALERSHIP....OH WHAT A FEELING (the jump makes sense if you get the same Toyota tv ads we get here...lol)

WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AS I ORDERED IT...the only extra i ordered was the towbar.

A COUPLE OF PICS OF THE BODY I'VE GOTTEN MADE FOR IT...snapped them on my phone when i dropped the vehicle off there today
I'll take better pics of the body once it's all fitted, but you can see on the passenger side (for us in Australia that is), is the fridge slide up front. Under body storage boxes either side behind the rear wheels, a step to reach stuff on the carry racks behind those under body storage boxes. If you look closely you can see on the drivers side inside up the front is where the spare wheel will be mounted, i've put it upfont inside to keep the weight forward, the rear wheels are a long way forward on these vehicles and i'm trying to keep weight behind the rear wheels to a minimum. Behind the spare wheel on the drivers side is a large storage box area to chuck stuff in (better pics of that later on though)

Under the rear of the body you may be able to make out the sliding tray that goes up the centre of the vehicle. The LED lights are currently hanging off the back and not finished being installed just yet.

Just be careful of your GVM it's very easy to go over the limit.

Rumpig

Adventurer
More details on the box please?

Plans?

Details?

Who built it?

Cost?
don't have any plans of the canopy, i just rocked up at the guys shop and we discussed what i wanted, then he built it for me....pics to come below will show details
The body / canopy was built by a comapany called The Box Thing http://www.theboxthing.com.au/ ...James who i assume is the sole owner of the company (he's the boss and who i dealt with all the time) is a genuine guy who really cares about the work he does, he was a real pleasure to deal with.
Cost...i won't give the exact cost of what i actually paid for the canopy, i have a mate who owns a few 4wd shops and is a stockist / dealer for this brand of canopy, he is who put me onto James in the first place. I've been looked after on the price of this canopy as it'll be used as a display vehicle for future sales at the 4wd shops. What the canopy should of cost me was around the $13500.00 mark, that's me doing nothing to it and James fitting it to my vehicle drive in drive away. There's a few other things they've done like moving my fuel filler location to suit the canopy, and wiring the box to the battery under the bonnet for me, and mounting my licence plate bracket up in position for me aswell. I never asked for this stuff to be done (James did ask before he did it though) and i wasn't charged any extra for him doing that stuff...jobs i'd say he does for anyone as he actually cares about the finished the product. The fuel filler needed to be moved and is included in the price normally, but things like powering the box up and mounting my licence plate in position he's just hooked in and done for me.

Rumpig

Adventurer

THERE'S FUSES INSIDE THIS FOR LIGHTS ETC, COUPLE OF VACANT PLACES FOR EXTRA STUFF LATER ON ALSO

THERE'S ONE OF THESE LIGHTS MOUNTED UP UNDER EACH GULLWING DOOR...it's directional / you can rotate the light around

THERE'S 2 OF THESE LIGHTS IN THE CEILING OF THE CANOPY ALSO

DRIVERS SIDE STORAGE BOX..held in place with 4 nutserts, so easily removed

OPENS TO HAVE A TABLE FOR PREPPING FOOD ON ETC

RAILS RUN DOWN THE LENGTH OF EACH SIDE, AND THESE LITTLE SILVER THINGS SLIDE TO WHERE YOU WANT THEM FOR TIEING STUFF DOWN IN THE BACK

THE STORAGE BOX ALSO HAS THEM FITTED ON IT ALSO

Rumpig

Adventurer
GRABBED SOME SUPPLIES FROM THE LOCALWEEKEND WARRIOR WORLD THIS ARVO...turn buckles are from the old vehicles fridge slide (need to save the pennies now...lol)

TIME TO BOLT THIS BABY DOWN IN PLACE

PUT IN 2 EYELETS IN THE FRONT FOR TURN BUCKLES TO ATTACH TO

COULDN'T DO SAME AT REAR, SO GOT ONE OF THESE PLATES

AND ALSO GRABBED A COUPLE OF TIEDOWN STRAPS ALSO...straps came in a pack of 2, i thought one would have made it but wasn't the case, so joined them together and job done

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Pretty nice! Built in awnings. Why not hang the spare tire on the rear wall, externally? Would free up covered space.
Going with a roof top tent or a trailer?

Rumpig

Adventurer
Pretty nice! Built in awnings. Why not hang the spare tire on the rear wall, externally? Would free up covered space.
Going with a roof top tent or a trailer?
Cheers mate....
Re:- spare wheel on the rear....the whole idea of putting the fridge and spare wheel up the front is to keep the weight as far forward as possible over the rear wheels, and not having it hang off the rear of the vehicle. Not sure how much you guys see overseas about modern dual cab vehicles bending their chassis, but here in Australia it's a pretty common situation for many people of different branded vehicles who are loading up their dual cab utes (many times they are over their GVM limit, or atleast over their rear axle limit) and hitting the corrugated roads of our outback. Many of the vehicles have fitted airbags to the leaf spring set ups to try and help carry their load, and this puts a leverage point where the chassis isn't designed to take it, but there are vehicles bending that don't have the airbags fitted also. A mate who owns several 4wd shops here in town was telling me the other day of the formula that works out how much weight you have behind your rear wheels increases for every 100mm that it is behind the rear wheels of a vehicle on a corrugated road....i can't recall the exact figure now, but from memory it roughly doubled that weight you are carrying by the time it gets back where you mention putting it.
After going from a 105 series wagon to this ute, i have more then enough spare room inside the canopy area then i'll ever need now. There's no roof top tent going on the vehicle, I have an offroad camper trailer that comes on all our family holidays these days, and any solo trips will be done with just throwing my swag in the back of the vehicle. I was hoping to drag my camper trailer out this weekend and hook it onto the back of the vehicle just to get a pic of them together, but being i'm crook with a flu at the moment, this weekends activities just involve me lying in bed or on the lounge doing very little at all....lol.

Last edited:

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I was certainly unaware of the problems associated with the dual cabs. I would have thought Toyota would have solved or at the least been aware of that issue. Quite interesting.
That ute box is a real beauty though. I am interested in your trailer. We don't come any where close in North America with the crazy great trailers you build down under. Mind, it
would seem you pay for what you get!! Look forward to the rest of the build. J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94