Windows and doors for custom camper

Hi there, we are in the middle of building a camper right now for our travels. We are using my old toyota pickup as a base, which I already did a full rebuild on. All of which we will do build threads on as soon as we can get some time to start it. BUT, for now I need some help finding windows and doors.

I've looked all over online but I can't seem to find what we are looking for. We could of course build our own, but I don't think we would be making a better product than ones that we could just buy, so in trying to save time, we were hoping to just buy some pre-made ones.

Since we are building our camper from the ground up, we don't have to get exact dimensions. So I figured we could save money (and time) by buying them in stock dimensions rather than have custom ones built.

As for the windows, we don't need anything too fancy. Just single paned, tinted sliders with screens. (I figured keep it simple. Durability and water tight are the most important) All I can find are companies like Hehr, which seem fine, and thats what 4wheel campers uses, so they should last. But they only make windows to order, so they are at least three weeks out and quite pricey. Is there any place I could find windows similar to these, but already in stock dimensions and ready to go?

And as far as doors go. I can't find anything around the 4 foot high range. Somebody has to sell replacements or something right? Most of the main pop-up camper companies seem to have doors about 48 inches high, which is what we would need, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

As with most vehicles in this type of forum, we are trying to find the balance between lightweight and durability. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

ripperj

Explorer
Motion RV (Peninsula Glass) will make windows to order, not cheap, but not outrageous, great quality. Fairly long lead time, 6-8 weeks
I had 8 windows, single pane with screens, some tinted, range in price from $350 for a 1x2' to $450ish for 18"x58". Bigger seems to be more bang for the buck, so the materials must not be too much of the cost.
Prices are from memory:)

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

ripperj

Explorer
Rereading your post I would say the Motion windows will be water tight and durable(just based on construction quality) but nobody would call them light, but probably no glass window with a metal frame is

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

Thanks a bunch for the replies. I talked with the people at motion windows and they are definitely the cheapest as far as custom made windows go, from what I've found. They were super nice on the phone and from what I've read, they make great quality stuff. Plus I live near them so I could save on shipping.

However, I think I finally found what I was really looking for. An RV salvage yard with a ton of quality stuff. RV Doctor George. It's a days drive from me, but I might have to take a weekend down there and load up on all the little RV parts that I would have to buy new otherwise.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll start a build thread about the truck and camper and our plans to take it down the pan-american hwy as soon as I can get a little free time away from work and projects like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles