Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Driver fatigue due to environmental noise can be the difference between getting to your next destination or stopping over to rest. What I found though is that passenger fatigue due to environmental noise is the bigger stressor on a road trip. The driver has driving to preoccupy them, and this does reduce some of the effects of a loud rig, bouncing suspension, etc... But, the passenger typically feels all of it. In a vehicle there are 4 different categories of noise as I see it: Engine Noise. Tire Hum. Exterior Environment. Interior Environment.

Engine Noise- Big time with a diesel, but typically only an issue around town and under acceleration. Check your doghouse fitment. Use my patented "hit the footman loop with a hammer" method to tighten the seal back up. Just make sure they bend toward the firewall. This will suck the doghouse down and forward. Adding insulation under the stock stuff inside the doghouse will help, but the OEM job around the firewall is where the van is really lacking on sound deadening material. I lump exhaust noise in with engine noise. If you are running stock exhaust, then it really isn't an issue. Aftermarket exhausts can drone badly, so a resonator may be required.

Tire Hum- Mud tires hum more distinctly, but all tires have a frequency that can be heard inside the cab. The stock E-rated tires that ran 70-80 psi had a really high pitched hum that bothered me more than the Toyo MT's. Heavy sound control products like DynaPad or mass loaded vinyl are where it's at to address this. Expensive and heavy. I can attest to the impressive nature of the DynaPad, but I think it's cost prohibitive to do an entire floor of a van. I think that a layer of Raammat, Dynamat, FatMat, etc, followed by doubled up Ensolite, DynaLiner, etc, in the foot well and rear wheel well areas would be sufficient.

Exterior Environment- Wind noise, traffic noise, weather, conversations, etc... Door seals are notorious for whistling. Noise is going to come through window glass no matter what. Dynamat, Raammat, and the like are designed to reduce the resonation inherent in sheet metal and plastics. Vans have a ton of sheet metal and therefore, will need more control in the resonation department. If you rap you knuckles against your back doors, you'll see what I mean. Try doing that to VANdiana or Optima's SEMA van and all you'll hear is a dull thud and the sound of your knuckle bone. Rain on an untreated metal van roof will sound like the Steel Drums of Jamaica. The other big noise offenders are carried by airborne sound waves. Harley exhaust, semi-trucks, voices, music, etc... These need to be either blocked or diffused with a barrier material. These are typically the DynaPad, mass loaded vinyl products. Again, they are heavy and expensive and hard to affix to walls and roofs. That's why I think DynaLiner, Ensolite are a good option. They are super light, self adhesive, and do a pretty decent job diffusing sound.

Interior Environment- Think of the van as one big subwoofer box. It has a tune that it hums all on its own. It's way down in the frequency range and can really be felt when the van is emptied out of all seats. The most obvious offender though is rattles from interior plastic panels and squeaks from the metal clips that hold them on. They can be a pain to track down by yourself, so have a passenger sit in back with a roll of blue tape to mark the areas that make noise. The fuzzy side of Velcro can be really useful to place in areas where metel clips or plastic panels rub together. Interior noise really becomes apparent after you have addressed the above areas.​

Hope that helps. BTW, if you ever make it up the the Seattle area, I have a 5-gallon bucket of a liquid sound-deadener that I will happily donate to your build. This would be a great option for painting on the interior side of your roof.

Brad

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Driver fatigue due to environmental noise can be the difference between getting to your next destination or stopping over to rest. What I found though is that passenger fatigue due to environmental noise is the bigger stressor on a road trip. The driver has driving to preoccupy them, and this does reduce some of the effects of a loud rig, bouncing suspension, etc... But, the passenger typically feels all of it. In a vehicle there are 4 different categories of noise as I see it: Engine Noise. Tire Hum. Exterior Environment. Interior Environment.

Engine Noise- Big time with a diesel, but typically only an issue around town and under acceleration. Check your doghouse fitment. Use my patented "hit the footman loop with a hammer" method to tighten the seal back up. Just make sure they bend toward the firewall. This will suck the doghouse down and forward. Adding insulation under the stock stuff inside the doghouse will help, but the OEM job around the firewall is where the van is really lacking on sound deadening material. I lump exhaust noise in with engine noise. If you are running stock exhaust, then it really isn't an issue. Aftermarket exhausts can drone badly, so a resonator may be required.

Tire Hum- Mud tires hum more distinctly, but all tires have a frequency that can be heard inside the cab. The stock E-rated tires that ran 70-80 psi had a really high pitched hum that bothered me more than the Toyo MT's. Heavy sound control products like DynaPad or mass loaded vinyl are where it's at to address this. Expensive and heavy. I can attest to the impressive nature of the DynaPad, but I think it's cost prohibitive to do an entire floor of a van. I think that a layer of Raammat, Dynamat, FatMat, etc, followed by doubled up Ensolite, DynaLiner, etc, in the foot well and rear wheel well areas would be sufficient.

Exterior Environment- Wind noise, traffic noise, weather, conversations, etc... Door seals are notorious for whistling. Noise is going to come through window glass no matter what. Dynamat, Raammat, and the like area designed to reduce the resonation inherent in sheet metal and plastics. Vans have a ton of sheet metal and therefore, will need more control in the resonation department. If you rap you knuckles against your back doors, you'll see what I mean. Try doing that to VANdiana or Optima's SEMA van and all you'll hear is a dull thud and the sound of your knuckle bone. Rain on an untreated metal van roof will sound like the Steel Drums of Jamaica. The other big noise offenders are carried by airborne sound waves. Harley exhaust, semi-trucks, voices, music, etc... These need to be either blocked or diffused with a barrier material. These are typically the DynaPad, mass loaded vinyl products. Again, they are heavy and expensive and hard to affix to walls and roofs. That's why I think DynaLiner, Ensolite are a good option. They are super light, self adhesive, and do a pretty decent job diffusing sound.

Interior Environment- Think of the van as one big subwoofer box. It has a tune that it hums all on its own. It's way down in the frequency range and can really be felt when the van is emptied out of all seats. The most obvious offender though is rattles from interior plastic panels and squeaks from the metal clips that hold them on. They can be a pain to track down by yourself, so have a passenger sit in back with a roll of blue tape to mark the areas that make noise. The fuzzy side of Velcro can be really useful to place in areas where metel clips or plastic panels rub together. Interior noise really becomes apparent after you have addressed the above areas.​

Hope that helps. BTW, if you ever make it up the the Seattle area, I have a 5-gallon bucket of a liquid sound-deadener that I will happily donate to your build. This would be a great option for painting on the interior side of your roof.

Brad

You sir are an ace! :bowdown:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
The van got quite hot in the summer. I'm sure that has to do with the huge surface area of the roof sitting in the sun. I was thinking of applying this on the roof to insulate it from the sun:

http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-RP-IRC-...d=1444342445&sr=8-4&keywords=insulating+paint

Are there any other products I should be looking at to cool down the roof? And then if I cover it in flexible solar panels (which will attract heat since they're black), is that going to totally negate the insulation the paint will give me? I don't have a garage right now, so I'd like to apply any paint I need in the next few weeks, before it gets too cold.

DzlToy

Explorer
Temp Coat is the roof coating that you want, Steve. Call and talk to Jason (owner's son). He is very good about talking tech and answering questions. I don't have any experience with stick on PV panels, but I have always heard that panel performance degrades when the cells get too hot. Obviously an issue if you are in a sunny place. With a rack mounted PV panel, a "tropical roof" is created, thereby allow air to circulate under the panels and also shading the roof from direct sunlight.

The Temp Coat can be rolled on about 40 mils thick, which is about the thickness of a credit card. They have a contract or two with the Navy for heat reflective and sound dampening coating products and seem to know their stuff. There are several cans in my shop for a customer project, but said customer is dragging his feet, so it has not been applied yet or I could give you more details.

rdcolorado

Observer
Wow, nice work on those videos! Surprised to see another van with a Tulsa truck conversion. I bought a 2002 E-350 back in Feb that was converted by Tulsa but it had quite a different set up. They added another level of steering linkage using 2 idler arms and a heavy rail to rail steel plate! I am also currently in the process of replacing that front end with the U-Joint 6 inch lift. Looking forward to getting that better ride because my van suffered everything you mentioned in your video!

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Wow, I'm also surprised to see another Tulsa conversion out there. I question whether or not a Tulsa employee was just doing these on the side, but who knows.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Sorry I missed that last video until today! Look forward to the "after"

Pressure is on! (ujoint)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've come across several of the Tulsa conversions over the years. For the longest time they were a bit of a mystery. After the 1st I assumed it was some sort of home brew conversion. Then I saw another, and another..... all with that weird sway bar attachment point. They've been pretty consistent expect for that dual drag link unit.

This is the 2nd van that is switching to our stuff, one was done in OR last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior