Trimming a flexible solar panel

toyotology

Has anyone tried trimming a flexible solar panel? I have a vanagon and would like to mount it in the roof storage tray and it is just a touch too big for it. I was thinking of trimming 3/8" off both of the long sides. If not, I will build a frame that fits the compartment and mount the panel, slightly flexing it to fit the frame.

IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited:

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
If you alter the panel in any way it will void the warranty. I asked about drilling holes for additional attachment points. I've seen others post about cutting off the MC4 connectors to use an SAE solar plug. That also voids the warranty. Any alteration. If you call customer support and they say it's okay, get it in writing.

4x4junkie

Explorer
×2 on the warranty.

But as long as there's no wire strips, cells, etc. where you want to trim, I see no issue with it.

228B

Observer
I was thinking of trimming 3/8" off both of the long sides.

I'd think first of the potential for delamination and moisture intrusion into the edges of the boundary silicon cells. Why not first take a small 45-degree chip off of each corner of the panel then examine the composition. That would be easier to re-seal if it were even necessary.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I built a light aluminium frame. The panel is attached with velcro and zip ties. In your case I would then attached the aluminium frame to the 6 existing attachment point on your vehicle.

FullSizeRender (3).jpgFullSizeRender (4).jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 165

toyotology

So no one has experience trimming the panels?

Considering delamination, I don't see how the edges are sealed anyway - if delaminating may occur, it appears that it could happen even without trimming if abused. I may cut a corner this weekend and report back how it appears to be constructed.

toyotology

Well I cut a corner and the cut look no different than the perimeter of the panel. I proceeded to cut about 1/2" off both sides of the panel and tapered the cut towards the middle on the last 3 inches of both sides. If fits in my crow's nest nicely - I just need to build a frame to mount it to.

IMG_0034.JPG

I tested the strips I cut off by bending them repeatedly back and forth to attempt delaminating the material or creating other damage. The creases were visible but the material didn't delaminate at the cut edges. We'll see what happens after a few years of exposure to the sun. I imagine there will be no difference between the factory edges and my cut edges.

Hopefully my experience will help others.

IMG_0035.JPGIMG_0036.JPG

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Well I cut a corner and the cut look no different than the perimeter of the panel. I proceeded to cut about 1/2" off both sides of the panel and tapered the cut towards the middle on the last 3 inches of both sides. If fits in my crow's nest nicely - I just need to build a frame to mount it to.

I tested the strips I cut off by bending them repeatedly back and forth to attempt delaminating the material or creating other damage. The creases were visible but the material didn't delaminate at the cut edges. We'll see what happens after a few years of exposure to the sun. I imagine there will be no difference between the factory edges and my cut edges.

Did you put a multimeter on the panel first to make sure it works? One of the two I ordered were DOA and had to be replaced.

Nazurus

Your experience has helped me ! :) I’m needing to cut 1/2” off of both sides of 2 panels. How close do you think I can cut to the black cells?

To fit them on either side of my roof hatch on a custom e350 roof I will need to cut them each 1” thinner. Which will be a cut right to the edge of the cells on the inside and bring them flush to the very edges of my roof on the outside. Not ideal . But have to have them there.

Also anyone know any issues with partially covering up some of the cells ? When I cut a 1/2” off both sides I will be right up against the black cells. I will need to secure them and will glue from bottom. But will need to tape over the edges or use an aluminum

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Even partial shading of a single cell can drop the panels output dramatically. You need at least some bonded material on each side of the cell to maintain the bond between the upper and lower layers.

Imbuere

View attachment 300993

View attachment 300992View attachment 300991
Hey, so I realise this is a super old thread, but it’s one of the only examples I found if someone trying this.

Could you follow up with any observed results? I’m thinking of taking a half inch off to fit 300w vs 400w on the top of my jeeps pop top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94