Zj Front Driveshaft question

Mitch502

Explorer
So, I have my lift on, sitting at around 5.5" of lift. Rear driveshaft is extended out, but no vibrations at all and I feel comfortable without it being longer.

The front driveshaft however is too long. We had to pry the transmission back and put the front diff to get it to go into place. It IS the u-joint shaft.

I can't recall for the lift of me what year it came out of..does anyone recall what years I would want to be looking at to pull one out of? I'm guessing I pulled the wrong one.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

K2ZJ

Explorer
There is a post somewhere on here (Expo) covering that question. To my surprise there were like 10 different lengths for front shafts, with about 3" difference between longest and shortest.

unkamonkey

Explorer
So, I have my lift on, sitting at around 5.5" of lift. Rear driveshaft is extended out, but no vibrations at all and I feel comfortable without it being longer.

The front driveshaft however is too long. We had to pry the transmission back and put the front diff to get it to go into place. It IS the u-joint shaft.

I can't recall for the lift of me what year it came out of..does anyone recall what years I would want to be looking at to pull one out of? I'm guessing I pulled the wrong one.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch
Find a driveline shop. If you run it like it is you will soon be replaing a transfer case.

Mitch502

Explorer
Find a driveline shop. If you run it like it is you will soon be replaing a transfer case.

I agree that I need one ASAP

I know there are like 10 different length. It very well could have been me that asked previously, I'll have to search again and see if I can find it this time...There is one specific year that should fit perfect.

mtbxj87

Adventurer
too bad your not in my area. I have a shortened zj shaft that would be what you need. I pulled it off a ZJ with abour 4-5 inch lift. It was too short to use as a rear shaft for my xj

Mitch502

Explorer
too bad your not in my area. I have a shortened zj shaft that would be what you need. I pulled it off a ZJ with abour 4-5 inch lift. It was too short to use as a rear shaft for my xj

If you're willing to ship, PM me a price/shipping cost and a measurement. IF I can use it i'd be interested. Zip is 40118

Mitch502

Explorer
You could get yours shortened for cheaper then me shipping this one

Hmm, that would be surprising...I'll call around and see what most od the machine shops around here want.

Do I measure from the center front u joint to the center end double carden joint, or to the first double cardan joint?

mtbxj87

Adventurer
looking at the chart I posted. You should be ok with a 89+ front driveshaft. a shaft around 29". Your current shaft is around 32" right?

Mitch502

Explorer
I measured from center/front u joint to the center of the FIRST u joint on the double carden. Am I supposed to measure to the back of the double?

...My initial measurement is right at 29", so 32-33" sounds right to the center of the second u joint. I'll re-measure to be sure. IF that's the case, I can go get one tomorrow and that would make me super happy...

Mitch502

Explorer
I may try to grab one in the morning. I'm taking a mini trip this weekend to do some work, and will have to be off-road to get there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior