Alaska trip with detailed money, mapping, and mosquito counts.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Hey guys. I just got back form Alaska recently and wanted to share my story. I've read a few of these so tried to make mine a little bit different. I have 31 days of travel and all camping sites with maps pictures and coordinates. Perhaps someone will find some of this useful some day. I already have the story on a blog so will just copy the first post here and let you guys decide if it's worth it to see more. Hope you enjoy it.

Blog Link

Alaska Trip Preface and Day 1
If anyone ever looks for this trip report in the future (yeah right) It will be on it's own page. I'm just loading it onto the main page because it's easier to do while on the road.

First a little bit about Alaska and why. I had the good fortune to work in Alaska many moons ago and used to fly into Juneau. I also flew to Fairbanks once in a private plane. So I'd been to Alaska, but never driven there. Having read many a blog about the adventure of seeing it for oneself I put it on my list of to do's. When this trip was originally planned my girlfriend and brother were both talking about joining me. My mother and her boyfriend were also planning on driving their own vehicle down and we would meet up and cross paths several times. Well, as often happens, things changed. No girlfriend, no brother, and Mom's RV wasn't up for the trip. So Mom calls me and says "I hear you are going by yourself now"? Yes I am. "I'd still love to go you know and I would go with you for a day or a month". And so it just worked out that way. I'm now traveling around northern Canada and Alaska with my 74 year old mother. Aaaand, we are having a blast. Mostly.

I also need to say a word about Mosquitos. Yes, I'm a baby, I admit it. I can't stand mosquitos. If I know there is one in the camper I'll stay awake and find it before going back to sleep. I thought it would be fun to catalog the mosquito battle. I haven't seen that done yet. The kills and bites are combined but usually Mom sleeps peacefully under the blankets while I jump around the camper with a flashlight and a tennis racket type zapper. I rarely use bug spray unless I plan on being out for a long time. In one trip to the outhouse I killed 8 of the buggers in the time it took to pee. After a week we figured out two things. The zapper only stuns them and they can get around my seitz window screens. It was a big surprise when I shook a couple bodies out of the racket onto the white counter and a few minutes later they took to the air again.

A word about money. Early retirement has forced me to a watch my money. Ok, I can be cheap sometimes. Wait, lets call it frugal. I'm also logging what money is spent on the trip so folks can get an idea of what the trip could cost if you don't eat out or stay in RV parks much. The exploremoremobile has been getting 16mpg for most of the journey.

Lastly, I thought it might be fun for some if I show where we camped every night. I'll take a screenshot of my ipad app, Scenic Map (highly recommended, not affiliated). It will show a basic look at where we are and for those that care gps coordinates too.

That's enough blah blah for now. Onto day 1.

Alaska Trip Day 1

Cost 130 Canadian Groceries

Mosquito wars, 2 kills and 2 bites

June 25th Left my daughters house in Surrey, BC. at 11am. Stopped in Hope for groceries then headed North towards Prince George. Camped by a microwave tower for the evening. No view, 85 degrees at 5pm but cooled down to 62 at night for pleasant sleeping. We stopped early this day and slept late. Tired from visiting my kids for a week.

Blog Link

Nice blog report. We got back home in late July after our second trip. After reading your summary I felt like you tried to do everything in a short period of time and that doesn't quite work in this vast area. It sounds like you never went as far as Dragon Lake or the relics on the North Canol. The crew at the maintenance shed would have let you continue up the road after checking out your rig. You just couldn't get over the pass into the NWT because they were replacing culverts. Hiking in Tombstone is exceptional. Dawson City is a place you need to stay for a week and get to know the locals. Just my opinion. I'll go back in 2 years and backpack the Chilkoot then get to Anchorage to fly out to King Salmon for hiking and camping in Katmai. The next trip will be about 4 months. Barry

unkamonkey

Explorer
No recent "skeeter counts? Some friends rode motorcycles up there in 1976. They had great fun around camp wearing down coats and gloves in the summer, with a mosquito net over their head to avoid them little bastids.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mosquitoes were fierce when we stayed in Kantishna in Denali National Park. DEET was like hot sauce to these buggers. Head nets, long sleeves and gloves were SOP.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Of the three bikes that started out, only one was ridden back to OR. The 185 Suziki actually started the trip here in CO. Froze up in Tok and sold for what Rob had in it. Pete had his hauled home in the back of a pickup. Mark rode the road both directions. Somewhere there are good pictures of the boys using trash bags for rain gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior