Sub for Trasheroo?

rayra

Expedition Leader
What about a sea bag with shoulder straps lined with a commercial trash bag for easy emptying? The straps would just be hung over the ladder rungs.

yes, this works quite well. And the shoulder straps have a wide range of adjustment and arrangement that would work fine on on a narrow ladder. IIRC they are also long enough to wrap vertically around a tailgate or hatch body. And they are unpadded so they are thin enough to close the glass hatch on them, too. I'll have to try that on my Suburban tomorrow and post pics.

rayra

Expedition Leader
"Back in the day" we added grommets to a burlap sack, lined it with a trash bag, and lashed it to where ever it would fit on the back of the rig. Cheap and easy, and worked well enough to make several trips through Baja California. I still have and sometimes still use a bag that I made up over 30 years ago

I think the proliferation of commercially made offroading gear has stifled improvisation. I would wager that you can find something around the house that could be modified to use as an "expo" trash container. If not, I think you will find what you need at the closest military surplus store.

I think it's something worse than that, spreading in the general population. Few folks have hands-on hobbies anymore. That ability to problem-solve and craft things is waning. With an overlay of brand-consciousness / keeping up with the Joneses. A creeping disdain for home-made anything. I have a hard time finding young folks that can do more than twiddle their thumbs on a smart phone or game controller. They're adept at things digital but their manual / mechanical / physics skills are almost totally lacking. Maybe it's just regional / environmental, suburban L.A. They just don't seem to have any exposure to building / crafting things for themselves. Like they aren't even aware it is possible.

tarditi

Explorer
Surplus ALICE pack (large) and frame - hook straps through ladder rung, can use as a backpack for heavy items like firewood or such, if need be.

robert

Expedition Leader
I used to use a surplus ALICE pack on my FJ40s; not as big as a Trasharoo but then there was no such thing back then. You live on the coast, you could probably find a sail maker. Alternately and probably cheaper would be an upholstery shop or a tent & awning place. It's just a (large) bag with some straps on it, have it made to fit your specifications and your needs.

Yes, I own a Trasharoo that I've used once, by attaching it over my tailgate.

TommyG

Adventurer
Try a dry bag. It has the straps to hang in creative places, keeps the wet yucky stuff where it belongs and you can seal it down and stow it when not in use.

When it wears out, I am going to grab another cheap one just for the same purpose. Just line it with a trash bag and wash it out often. Works well.

VanDam

My mom sewed me up a trasheroo type thing. There was an old aussie style waxed canvas raincoat we had at the farm. She cut it up and made me this:

Last edited:

fiddypal

Adventurer
If you come up with a way to lock one up let me know. I have had two stolen out of a parking lot.

Was it full of trash? People these days... stealing a ************* trash can! lol

Thanks for all the ideas here, completely agree DIY is better here than this "trasharoo".

rayra

Expedition Leader
well only took me six months to get around to taking pix. I forgot all about it. heh.

The seabag will work, but it's a little narrow. Straps sized / spaced for human shoulders vs sprawled across a spare tire. But if you are afield, rolling the mouth down a bit will hold it open an dstill leave enough material above the strap attachment points that the mouth folds closed. Instead of having to fiddle with latching the seabag closed. Works either way.

The shoulder straps have plenty to spare on the Sub's hatch, so they'll work on just about anything except maybe a pop-out rear window on a full-size van door. That might be too tall, but easy to sew some strap extensions on.

I would suggest that if someone has neither that they get the Large size ALICE pack. Roomier, more adjustability, bigger mouth, and three large pockets that could hold first aid, extra bags, field toilet kit, and the ALICE pack has all sorts of attachment points for things like an E-tool pouch. Both the seabag and the ALICE can be had for $20-30.

Since I still have a couple seabags from my service years, that's what I'm going with. 'Free' is good. And the only ALICE I still have around is a Medium and those don't have the volume of a seabag. And it's set up for other things, anyway.

The Seabagaroo:

seabagaroo1_zpsf9lrjctf.jpg
seabagaroo2_zps1seqf9yj.jpg

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
I built this one from a molle ruck, members here tore me limb from limb

I'm genuinely curious about this comment - not to distract from the OP - but what exactly was said? I think the Molle rucksack idea is great BTW. It's hard to believe you got flak over it.

Ivan

Lost in Space
well only took me six months to get around to taking pix. I forgot all about it. heh.

The seabag will work, but it's a little narrow. Straps sized / spaced for human shoulders vs sprawled across a spare tire. But if you are afield, rolling the mouth down a bit will hold it open an dstill leave enough material above the strap attachment points that the mouth folds closed. Instead of having to fiddle with latching the seabag closed. Works either way.

The shoulder straps have plenty to spare on the Sub's hatch, so they'll work on just about anything except maybe a pop-out rear window on a full-size van door. That might be too tall, but easy to sew some strap extensions on.

I would suggest that if someone has neither that they get the Large size ALICE pack. Roomier, more adjustability, bigger mouth, and three large pockets that could hold first aid, extra bags, field toilet kit, and the ALICE pack has all sorts of attachment points for things like an E-tool pouch. Both the seabag and the ALICE can be had for $20-30.

Since I still have a couple seabags from my service years, that's what I'm going with. 'Free' is good. And the only ALICE I still have around is a Medium and those don't have the volume of a seabag. And it's set up for other things, anyway.

The Seabagaroo:

seabagaroo1_zpsf9lrjctf.jpg
seabagaroo2_zps1seqf9yj.jpg

Thanks for this. $12 bucks on eBay while I make up my mind on a trasharoo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne