Sub for Trasheroo?

seeNik48

Adventurer
The Trasheroo is a great idea but, unfortunately for us, we have a truck camper with no spare on the back. Instead we have a ladder about a foot wide. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternative? I emailed Trasheroo folks who said that essentially it would not be economically feasible for them to manufacture something that would work for us. We have our own trash receptacle in the bath but soon run out of room with our recyclables and other peoples' trash. Any ideas? Thanks.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I built this one from a molle ruck, members here tore me limb from limb; though the owner of trasharoo thought less & wasnt worried

use what you have & build it to suit your needs

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Seems like you could still mount a Trasharoo on the ladder - perhaps with the help of a local shop to make a couple of small modifications to your straps?

BEG

Adventurer
Plenty of people who don't have a rear-mounted spare have used creative mounting methods to get a Trahsaroo on. Here's a pic of an Xterra with a rear ladder from a quick Google image search:

DSCF1118.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Real easy to modify or add strapping that will let you hang the bag. flat woven webbing straps and various buckle hardware are widely and cheaply available.
Or get a milsurp Large-size ALICE backpack, ~$25

You can get a good basic sewing machine for $70 and they'll readily sew some doubled webbing, which woul dlet you add D-rings or buckles for extra strapping. And add a skill, instead of paying as much to have someone do one project for you.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...eas-for-a-lightweight-compact-flexible-design

stitchery08_zps71c44862.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Or you could go to your local surplus store or ebay and pick up a couple of duffle bags with should straps for about $20 each and hang those on your ladder. You may have to tie the adjustable shoulder straps a bit to make sure they don't fall off but otherwise, they'll do the same job. A large alice bag would also work.

Keep in mind, the Trasharoo is really just a very big canvas bag with straps that will fit on a large spare tire mounted on an external carrier.

seeNik48

Adventurer
Yeah, we will try to improvise something. It's just an RV ladder like Hallmark installs, about 12" wide on the inside. We may need to find a liner for the inevitable bag burst. We do have a couple of old canvas bags that one might work wit a solid garbage bag liner. Good idea.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Yeah, we will try to improvise something. It's just an RV ladder like Hallmark installs, about 12" wide on the inside. We may need to find a liner for the inevitable bag burst. We do have a couple of old canvas bags that one might work wit a solid garbage bag liner. Good idea.

We have a couple of old backpacks with frames. I was thinking about using one of those as my trasheroo.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I once mounted the 'Roo on my Samurai's 27" wheel by basically folding up the lower 40% and trapping it between the bag and tire. Strap modifications, as discussed, did the rest.

It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good, and nothing matches the Trasharoo's value . . . gigantic well-made bag for a good price.

mowerman

Adventurer
We have a couple of old backpacks with frames. I was thinking about using one of those as my trasheroo.

I have an old ex mil backpack with frame and that's what I do. I undo the shoulder strap clips, cross pass them through the spare wheel holes (it's a modular style steel wheel) and there you go.
Works great, and can store spare rubbish bags in the external pockets.

verdesardog

Explorer
What about a sea bag with shoulder straps lined with a commercial trash bag for easy emptying? The straps would just be hung over the ladder rungs.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I might look at a used/surplus duffel bag. You should be able to pick one up on craigslist/flea market/etc for $20-25.

Robert Bills

Explorer
"Back in the day" we added grommets to a burlap sack, lined it with a trash bag, and lashed it to where ever it would fit on the back of the rig. Cheap and easy, and worked well enough to make several trips through Baja California. I still have and sometimes still use a bag that I made up over 30 years ago

I think the proliferation of commercially made offroading gear has stifled improvisation. I would wager that you can find something around the house that could be modified to use as an "expo" trash container. If not, I think you will find what you need at the closest military surplus store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94