The Measure of a Smart Charger is Measured by it's ~success~

mobiledynamics

Just curious for us OCD types
For the likes of Ctek, BatteryMinder, Noco, etc - have ya'll measured/metered/watched the volt/amp meters as the chargers does it's
thing to see what the charge profile is (and or not it corresponds) with it's published spec.

Ctek proudly/openly publishes theirs.
Noco - not really. They will tell you if you call them up...
Batteryminder - I've spoken to tech support once. The gentleman was real knowledgable but just kept on and on for almost 40 minutes.

Curious to see what your experience has been with these ~smart charger~ automatic charge profiles.
It may not be ~exacting~ to what your battery manuf. may recommend but in the ballpark

AndrewP

Explorer
I've had my watt meter in line with my Battery minder output almost continuously. It does just what it says-bulk charge with rising voltage, then absorb at 14.4 then float at 13.4. I have the 2 amp version of the BatteryMinder and it keeps 4 batteries in two trucks floating all the time I'm not using them. Very happy with it for the $75 it cost.

mobiledynamics

I've been messing around with my 25 amp Noco and 7 amp Ctek....
Aside from standard 3 step profile, I'm testing these on crap batteries to see what they really do.

Some interesting wine notes...
Ctek will start to run in *smart charge mode* as low a 2V
The Noco will start to run in *smart charge mode* as low as 7-8 volt

Noco does spikes, even with their *quick jump start mode* if not smart charge mode -- desulphate spikes of 16.3V.
Even on thier AGM mode, it will do desulphate spikes at 16.3

I've yet to do the same test with the Ctek to observe it's behaviour...

Still testing

Last edited:

mobiledynamics

Just some mid late might testing as I catch up.

The Ctek IMO seems to do a more ~complete~ absorption phase compared to the Noco.
I'll have to play with this more to concur across the board, but sofar the Noco goes into trickle-float, considerably faster than the Ctek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior