New guy looking to replace his beloved Cherokee, focus on Montero

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Had/Have (a now bent) 1998 Cherokee 4x4 4.0 2dr 5spd that i need to replace. I've always lusted after FJ80 Land Cruisers, but in the interest of not spending every penny of the potential insurance payout and then some, i'm looking to other alternatives.

I'd say at the moment, there's an 80% or greater chance i'll be ending up in a Montero. The question is:

Gen 2.5 or Gen 3?

Aftermarket seems weak for either, but with how capable both seem to start with, that doesn't sound like a huge deal.

Will one be cheaper to maintain than the other? Will i miss the potential for lockers in the Gen 3? Highway gas mileage about equal between the two? Is the higher cost of entry into the Gen3 worth it over a Gen2.5? I would be daily driving this, and the wife and i would be taking long trips in it, hopefully eventually up to Prudhoe Bay as we originally planned to do in my Cherokee.

If Gen 2.5, what is the "ultimate" Gen 2.5? I saw that the SR model is what i want, but did all years of the SR get the locker, or just the 98-99?

Appreciate any input. Sell me on these things, and fight over which one is better and why so i can make my decision. :) Looking forward to getting one so i can spam you guys with stupid questions. :snorkel:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well the 2nd gen can accept Jeep transfer cases, you can run an Aussie locker up front. Years for a locker and 3.5L engine are 94-96 SR (3.5 DOHC engine 4.63 gears), '97 SR (3.5 SOHC 4.27 gears) these trucks have plastic fender flares. Then 98-99 (3.5 SOHC 4.27 gears and all metal fender flares AKA Gen 2.5 and also available minus locker in '00).

Really you can look for LS models and easily swap in the better axles, i'd buy a nice 98-00 even if it doesn't have a locker because you can buy a complete SR axle for a couple hundred dollars or buy the late model and pick up a set of axles from a 94-96 SR to get the locker, MUCH bigger CV axles and 4.63 gears which the 98-00 should actually be running to be in the power band (they upped the ratio for less emissions per mile allegedly).

Swank Force One

Adventurer
So the "ultimate" would be a Gen 2.5 with 94-96 locker and big stuff.

Wikipedia is really useless when it comes to these rigs and the 3.5 motors. Is there any real advantage to the DOHC motors in this case?

Appreciate the help!

Eric M

Adventurer
No. I'd actually stay away from 94-96 just because I didn't want to deal with deactivating the dual geometry intake.

Eric M

Adventurer
Yea, pretty much like TVIS if I recall correctly. Some have had the butterfly valves drop into their engines, but usually they're just loose.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Do we like the Gen2.5 better than Gen3? I'm somewhat drawn to the idea of having something "newer" and "nice" interior-wise, but i wonder if i would miss the "old school flavor" and let's be honest: A Gen2.5 is going to be a step up in comfort from an XJ, which i found quite comfortable anyways. :p

Eric M

Adventurer
I don't personally have a preference, but the 3rd gen is definitely the nicest ride on the street and the most modern inside. If we got the options the 2Gs in the rest of the world had I might change my mind.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
depends on how you use it, gen three is good if you do mostly street driving, gen 2/2.5 is good if you're mostly off road or want to get really hard core once off road.

Eric M

Adventurer
Gen 3 will hang with any Gen 2 off road, especially stock. Possibly better stock due to the traction control on the NP.

Toasty

3.5 DOHC's are awesome and variable intake makes nice usable power, just buy a new one every 80k and never worry about it.

Gen 3 is capable but none have made me a believer yet, I may change my mind this Sierra Challenge. I've got a line on an '05 Gen 3 XLS with 60k miles for 5k but I think I may pass on the 3rd gen and get the GX470 for the new truck just because it's more like my Gen 2. We'll see, I think the Gen 3 is more quality than the Yota and way less money but I hate rebuilding IFS every year and can't imagine having to do it front and back. More than likely i'd get pissed and swap in a Montero solid rear axle and delete the rear AC (rock magnet). Having said all that I love Monteros but i'll drink the Toyota Koolaid if it keeps me in a truck. If this Gen 3 OWNS the Rubicon next week i'll be picking up a new Gen 3 on the way home :)

Toasty

15 horse BUT the DOHC pulls it's power quicker and longer so it's more useful, horsepower ratings are like wattage ratings on stereos. It's all setup and efficiency and the old trucks are well set up, but you can make the SOHC do it's job better too although it' won't equal the DOHC.

I personally like the SOHC just because its newer and a little simpler (not any easier to work on) but I have a healthy respect for the DOHC engines because they are great motors and move a Montero better.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Gotcha. I'm no stranger to weird/non-ideal powerbands. My daily driver prior to the Cherokee trapped 118mph in the quarter mile, yet i doubt it made more than 250whp. :D

I think it really just comes down to which body i like best out of the Gen2s, right?

evomaki

Observer
I bought a '96 SR with a spun rod bearing (least it feels like it) for cheap a couple months back. I had previously bought a '00 for my kid and really liked it, so made me want to look for a wheeler project for me. I haven't gotten into the '96 yet, due to other projects. But what in the world is that intake on my '96? That is the craziest looking thing. I don't exactly get it. Single overhead cam looks a lot simpler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior