Desert explorer, 04 ford ranger build

justcuz

Explorer
That will work for now for sure. The lock rights are interesting on the street but work well in the dirt. I went with an auburn ECTED in my 8.8 and will go ARB or e locker from my new build. Slap a set of 2" whee spacers on the expo axle and you will be very close to the same track width./QUOTE]

I thought Explorer axles were wider than Rangers?

I think I'm going to stick with my original plan for fuel and water then, I don't think I will ever need an aux fuel tank. I would rather throw in an extra jerry can for long trips in the middle of nowhere. The ranger has decent range as it is anyways. Not sure how much the 35s will affect that though.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

RangeRunner17

Observer
Digging your truck! You've got exactly the same plan as me. Not sure when you're planning on making your bedcage, but here's what I have. It's made from 1.5"x1.5"x11 ga and 1x1x11ga square tubing, and mounts to the fore-most and rear-most holes for the bed.

WP_20141229_18_36_26_Pro.jpg

Nice! I really like that light up there. What else do you have done to your truck? I've been so busy with school lately that I've hardly had any time to work on the truck. Still waiting to finish the rear axle, then it's onto the bedcage. After I finish the bed cage I might run it like that for a little while until I'm ready to rip into the suspension. Shocks are very expensive...

RangeRunner17

Observer
What else do you have done to your truck?

I've got the Dixon Bros LT kit up front, AAL rear, and a pair of bumpers I made myself, along with some other smaller stuff (fenders, winch, lights). Next week I'm starting a swing-out tire carrier and hopefully putting on some rock sliders if time permits.
IMO, I'd get that BTF kit on first seeing as you already have the coilovers. You'll be amazed at what happens with the ride quality

Best of luck with that rear axle, I really want to see where you go with this build!

Mike.rider

Observer
Nice to see some other long travel Rangers set up for expedition use. Here's my super charged 03, DBR front with deaver g50s in the rear.
ca49e01c98e3a5a84068a08589a5b1e2.jpg
46540ee1b1c01e989bbd08454e0622e7.jpg
923d4c0eb175c34caf092c8c95ca6d31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man these are some sweet rangers! I'm glad I'm not alone on wanting long travel. I'm pretty excited about getting the front end done but it will likely have to wait until after winter. How do you like those g50s? I like my f31s but not sure how they will do with a full load.

Mike.rider

Observer
Man these are some sweet rangers! I'm glad I'm not alone on wanting long travel. I'm pretty excited about getting the front end done but it will likely have to wait until after winter. How do you like those g50s? I like my f31s but not sure how they will do with a full load.

I feel the same way, nice to not be the only one!

I am very happy with my g50, I got them direct from deaver gave them all my plans and specs and they sent me a g50 pack with 11 leafs instead of 10 to support all my gear. Then I removed my stock rear hangers and installed a set a drop hangers moved back on the frame to accommodate the longer g50 pack.

Still need to finalize a rear shock set up and swap in a full width rear axle to match the front but so far the rear has preformed very well.

That's pretty awesome man, deaver makes some beefy leaf springs, I'm very impressed with the way they perform. The flex I got while up in the mountains was incredible. Tore up my tires on the bed sides a bit in fact. The only thing I regret is not getting g50s.. my f31s sag to much when I'm loaded up for camping. I'm considering calling deaver and see if they can send me a few more leafs and a longer main. My goal is to have something similar to giants 64 kit but with more weight capacity. But that's a future project.

Mike.rider

Observer
That's pretty awesome man, deaver makes some beefy leaf springs, I'm very impressed with the way they perform. The flex I got while up in the mountains was incredible. Tore up my tires on the bed sides a bit in fact. The only thing I regret is not getting g50s.. my f31s sag to much when I'm loaded up for camping. I'm considering calling deaver and see if they can send me a few more leafs and a longer main. My goal is to have something similar to giants 64 kit but with more weight capacity. But that's a future project.

I'm sure deaver would take care of you they have been a great company to deal with.

I used to get some rubbing in the rear fenders but I fixed that by trimming out my fenders.
20caf0ec577ce88c27a9bf1b51b5429a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior