Desert explorer, 04 ford ranger build

I'm fairly new here and figured I would start my own build thread, mostly so I can keep track over time but also to give others ideas and knowledge. This will be a slow build because of poor college student funding but should be fun. Right now the truck is a 2004 ford ranger manual, 4x4. It has a tbar crank, Deaver f31 leaf springs, 33 inch bfg ats, tiregate, some HIDs, and bilstein 5100s. Other than that, stock.
606568b64c34df755fa1f4dffd5a120d.jpg
18ae871fe11d46470834a9951e6a99b9.jpg
d02092b3d1252d20a999eb58ddfda9f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

The future plans for the truck will be BTF long travel in the front with swayaway coilovers, I will be building a plate front bumper with a winch recess mounted into the grill, replacing tiregate with a swing out plate bumper in the rear, fiberwerx fiberglass front and rear, a bed cage similar to Allpro's design but mounted to the bed floor, swayaway remote resis going to bedcage, new rear axle, roof top tent, dual battery w/solar, fridge behind drivers seat, and who knows what else will happen. This is probably a very ambitious goal, but I do have a good portion of the parts in the garage waiting for the build. Already have long travel kit, fiberglass, coilovers, dom tubing, and a garage full of tools. Any suggestions or constructive criticism is appreciated.
uploadfromtaptalk1440206148307.jpg
bbfeb4638b9ed2d81a6b2e9adb6c8b83.jpg

First things first. I picked up that ford 8.8 off an explorer that needs to be rebuilt. My current 8.8 is leaking from 2 places and has an audible chatter coming from it so this is on the top of the list. Plans for this is new seals, bearings, rotors, maybe hardlines, regear to either 4.88 or 5.13, weld housing to axle tubes and I'm clueless as to whether I should get a limited slip or locker. There are so many options with axles.

Mike.rider

Observer
How wide is your BTF kit you may want to go with an f150 8.8 to match the front width. If your front is a 4.5over the 1.5 on the expo axle is not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its 4.5 over, eventually I will go with a full width ford nine inch from camburg, but I think this will work for a while. I don't want to change my lug pattern in the back until I get fabricated uprights in the front. Then I'll go to 5 on 5.5. Besides this 8.8 is a definite budget build, can't afford the nine inch right now.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Some type of locker or posi would be a must have in my book. You can't always tell what ground is firm and what ground will turn to powder in the desert. I agree with the wider rear end too. Having separate track widths makes it easier to get stuck and can also give you flats because the rear tire's sidewall is constantly on a berm from the front tire track. Your plan sounds good.

What locker would you recommend? I looked at a few auto lockers, but not sure I'm sold on those. Arb air locker would be awesome but will have to wait until I get the 9 inch. I agree on the width issue, I definitely plan on a full width down the road

FLoffroad1

Observer
I'm pretty sure the Eaton E-Locker and the ARB are available for the Explorer's 8.8 (31spline) -- unless you're just worried about strength, but I don't think a selectable locked Ford 8.8 with 33s is too bad, the 4.88s or lower might be an issue though. I've heard and read in many places that auto lockers and even some LSDs will stress parts more than a selectable locker.

Very cool build though, and your plans for the future sound awesome.

The only real issue I'm having is the cost, I need to keep the entire axle build around 1k. I think a limited slip would be plenty for what I typically do, very rarely do I use 4x4 and when I do its usually for the low.

justcuz

Explorer
You may be able to tighten up the LSD by adding extra frictions and shims. The 8.8 is a popular rear axle and it may be online some where under "8.8 LSD mods". I also have a couple rear axle books that have modifications in them. I can look them up for you.

The axle I pulled doesn't have factory limited slip unfortunately.. So I will be starting from scratch with new parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior