Trailer Condensation

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Mat Vents Added

Vented my mats today with several 1 1/2" holes. Hope it helps.

IMG_2592-L.jpg

Packed

IMG_2594-L.jpg

That's not going to help. You need the mats lifted off the floor + air circulation.

You might try this product, Hypervent.

20130216w_bedding02.jpg

I've used it under my bed. I don't know how well it would stand up to being used under flooring though.

Last edited:

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Yeah there are a lot of mat options out there. I have learned more about mats in the last few days than I really want to know. I'm going to see how my vented mats hold up for now.

This Z Web No slip Drainage Mat would be perfect.

3m%20Safety%20Walk%20Wet%20Area%20Matting%203200%20Corner%20Tan%20600.JPG

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Youll want a mat like the one above and a slight gap in the trailer lid. If I recall correctly the basecamp we tested had a lip on the lid. you should be able to stick two thin pieces of rubber on the passenger side of your trailer to just SLIGHTLY crack the top during storage. This will let air flow go back and forth preventing a lot of your issue. Like others have said though, you still may need the mat. You have cool air under the trailer it just happens.

Be happy its a metal tub though. I have condensation issues in my teardrop in wet weather :(

Im4duke

Observer
That z web mat looks just like what CVT sells for anti-condensation under the mattresses for their RTTs. I have it in green.

fog cutter

Adventurer
2015 GMC Savana (1300 miles/ 1 month from the dealer yesterday) - factory installed cargo area rubber & padded mat has had wet spots & moisture accumulation on 2 occasions i've peeled it back. first time to lay down Extreme DynaMat and second time to continue cutting away the padding as i do the cabinets. when i get to the flooring phase, all of the padding (& rubber mat) will be gone and the 3/8" plywood subfloor installed on 1/4" - 80 durometer - rubber strips crossways with rigid foam in between. theory being air will circulate in the lower sections of the corrugated floor metal. finish floor will go over the plywood.

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Update

I did a condensation check on my trailer today. Removed all the gear and pulled the mats, wa-lah there's water. Not just moisture but actually water. I just wiped the floor dry at the beginning of the week and replaced the mats and gear. During the week we had a couple of strong rain storms here at the house. There must be a water leaking in somewhere. I double checked my water tank and fittings using some pressurized air. The tank and fittings are solid and do not leak.

The Jackwagon Basecamp trailer tub is pre made by a truck box manufacturing company in South Dakota and it has excellent aluminum box construction. Then Jackwagon Off-road takes the box and mounts it to a trailer frame and adds fenders. We also added an AT propane tank bracket. I thought I should check those connected parts and fittings and see if there is any way outside water can get in. I ran a hose over the fender and sure enough one of the bolts leaks a steady little stream right down the inside of the box and under the mats.

I checked all the other bolts, and ended up silicone sealing two leaky ones. I will give it another hose test in a couple of days.
:snorkel:

Last edited:

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
You may have a leak, but don't discount a proper mat. The anti condensation mats they Tepui and CVT sell are weaved in such a way to allow horizontal air flow, not just vertical.
Last week I camped with my boys. We're in a roof top tent on a dry but cool night with all the windows open all night. Unbeknownst to me the anti condensation mat had slipped out from under 1/3 the mattress when deploying. The next morning when closing up I noticed moisture under the mattress. Where the pad had slipped away it was quite wet. Where it stayed put it was as dry as a bone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior