San Lorenzo Canyon/Cibola NF, New Mexico

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
FR549/Old NM 52

After a very nice drive through Bear Trap Canyon we began to climb out of the canyon onto the mesa on top.

Right after this turn and after I had put the camera down, we saw a heard of elk but before we could get the camera ready the climbed and disappeared up in the trees...

DVD

Adventurer
I have the same thoughts as 1leglance. I was thinking of NM for the next longish trip, and this further cements that idea. Thanks for the great photos!

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Last Leg, NM52

These are the last pictures I promise.

The Alamosa Creek Valley...

A view of the entrance to Monticello Box Canyon and Vick's Peak in the back..

Vick's Peak...

It's beautiful country out there...you'd need weeks to explore more of those amazing mountains, canyons and valleys...this is another area I will need to comeback some day to explore more.....so much out there to explore...so little time...

jerm1978

I assume you went into San Lorenzo Canyon from I-25 just north of Socorro. Where did you come off the trail? San Lorenzo Springs? Have any issues with it being too narrow at places? I ask because my FJ Cruiser is probably a little wider than your Jeep.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
I assume you went into San Lorenzo Canyon from I-25 just north of Socorro. Where did you come off the trail? San Lorenzo Springs? Have any issues with it being too narrow at places? I ask because my FJ Cruiser is probably a little wider than your Jeep.

You can't go all the way through the canyon as it's blocked by big boulders, there's a way to go around it and get to the other side by the springs; but you have to go back near the entrance of the canyon and find the road going north up the canyon. That was my original plan, but since I couldn't get the three days off, I opted to go back through Socorro and don't loose the extra time needed trying to find it. You shouldn't have any width issues with your FJ.

jerm1978

When you got to the top of Mount Withington did you choose to turn around and come back down or was that because of a gate or closure? I ask because I'm planning a trip there and see that on Google Maps the road continues over the top and down the other side. FS 138 to FS 330.

Untitled.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94