LED Headlight Converion Bulbs?

robert

Expedition Leader
<snip>
My B4000 is really the vehicle this all applies to though. It has 9007 bulbs in it. My old 90' Miata put out more usable light with sealed beams than the B4000 does.

I'm also just curious how close the market is to providing a decent LED upgrade for older vehicles where replacing the housing isn't an option.

You may have already done this but if not check the voltage going to your headlights. The Daniel Stern website has a very good tech article on how even small changes in voltage can have big effects on light output. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html This is a very common issue on old VWs, especially buses where they have a long run from the battery to the switch and light. The easiest thing to do is add a relay and upgrade the power wires. Also check all of your connections including your grounds as they can impact light output as well.

As for LED lights, my roommate is running one of the Truck-light LED headlights on his Harley. I live in the Philippines where there are not a lot of street lights and it does an amazing job. The only issue is the color can wash out some of the road details for example making it difficult to see how deep a hole may be- not that you want to hit any pot holes on Philippine roads as they're likely to be bigger than you thought even in the day.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The big difference between an incandescent light source and an LED is where the light comes from. If you've ever owned an LED flashlight with adjustable focus, you've seen that you can actually project the image of the LED on a surface.

Incandescent lenses are designed to focus the light emitted from an incandescent filament, which has a very different orientation from and LED (or HID) source.

Incandescent source = linear
LED source = kinda funky. not a point source but not nice and linear like a filament
HID source = point source

The reason I mention all this is, if you have a car with standard (i.e. incandescent) headlights, then all the reflectors, etc were designed for a linear light source not a point or LED. If you put an LED or HID light source into a reflector intended for an incandescent lamp, you are probably not going to get the results you hoped for.

DocWhiskey

Observer
If you do a Google search on "LED Conversion Headlights" or something similar, the first few results are usually from a site called "Candle Power Forum" and those boys are quite adamant in their stance against them in any situation. Pretty condescending too if you ask me but hey, everyone has their thing. The lighting geeks seem to really hate them based on their illegality.

That being said, I have a mid-range H13 LED conversion kit in my F150 headlights, and the throw isn't as good as with a good replacement halogen bulb. Pretty bright in the foreground but not as much distance. Of course this is all measured with my super-scientific and not-at-all-experienced naked eye.

paranoid56

Adventurer
i tried it in my tacoma and while they were brighter and i liked the output, it put far to much glare on the road. i know a lot dont car, but i try not to blind everybody on the road.

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
If you do a Google search on "LED Conversion Headlights" or something similar, the first few results are usually from a site called "Candle Power Forum" and those boys are quite adamant in their stance against them in any situation. Pretty condescending too if you ask me but hey, everyone has their thing. The lighting geeks seem to really hate them based on their illegality.

That being said, I have a mid-range H13 LED conversion kit in my F150 headlights, and the throw isn't as good as with a good replacement halogen bulb. Pretty bright in the foreground but not as much distance. Of course this is all measured with my super-scientific and not-at-all-experienced naked eye.

I'd concur with this. I put three sets in my Sierra after having ballast issues with hid's. They put out lot of light, but not as focused, and as such your depth of vision suffers. As in you can't see as far.
Personally, I think a good set of OE projectors retrofitted would be the best, but I don't have time to do that, and the guys that do it professionally cost too much $$ for my liking.
Or as another here said, get some good auxiliary lighting. I love my Lazerlamps. Instant daylight!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Don't JW and Trucklites have heated lights now?
Trucklite has a heated version but the performance has limitations.
JWS has something in development from what I've heard.

worthingtontw ---- Can a rectangular light be fitted into the Mazda?
Some trucks from that era are able to do that.
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/4x6-led-headlights-model-8800-evolution/
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8900-evolution/
I'd ask on CPF; Virgil will know for sure. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?87-Automotive-Motorcycles-Included

As for your Hilux, the Phase 7 is a decent light. The pattern annoys some users; you should really find a set on somebody's truck first and take a drive with them. The pattern doesn't bother me but I've got friends that have removed/sold/returned them in a day or two.
The Petersons (also sold as KC) are better. The JW Speaker Evolution-2 are better still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz