Solar set-up: Fail and resurrection. Advice needed.

kerfro

Hi everyone,

I had an issue with my dual battery set-up incl. Solar.

Set-up: Two Optima batteries (red and yellow), separated, connected to the alternator as well a 50W solar panel/charge controller (Renogy).

Basically, it failed one day. There was still very low current, but I couldn't charge anything anymore and the fridge didn't work either. But, and that was odd to me, the lights still were on to indicate that there was power (e.g. a small light that indicates that there is power in the 12v connector of the fridge).

I couldn't see any lights on the charge controller so I thought that the heat fried it and overcharged the battery. I had been in death Valley and Palm Springs for a couple of days.

But I couldn't find a shop and didn't have it repaired. The next morning (24-36 hours later) a magical resurrection happened: Fridge, charge controller, charging. I had it checked out but the RV place said that everything works just fine.

That's good news, but I will cross the border to Mexico to go on the Central and South American leg of my Pan-American Adventure and do need some peace of mind. Does anyone have an idea what could have happened and if there is something to prevent that?

Many thanks,
Kerstin

AndrewP

Explorer
Without telling us how your batteries are connected and separated, and the voltage at the batteries in various scenarios there is no way to say what happened.

When you say "it" failed, what exactly failed.

Do your batteries charge with the alternator when the engine is running? What is their resting voltage? What is the system voltage at each battery when the engine is running?

If it's just the lights on the controller, maybe it just overheated and shut down to protect itself. Where is it mounted? And when electrical things of any type suddenly do not work, always look first for bad connections. Like at the battery, at the panels, or anywhere the wiring makes connections.

Post a picture of your engine compartment that shows the batteries, charge controller, etc.

50 watts does not sound like much for a long trip like that. You may want to add at least another 50 watts to your system.

kerfro

Thanks, Andrew.

They are connected/separated by a Blue Sea SI-ACR, when I checked the solar panel and aux battery it was v12.8 and v12.75 without/with the solar panel (at least that is what I remember), the alternator running was much higher. v14 or v15 maybe? THe RV never tested the starter battery.

What happened is that I wanted to charge my laptop at night and I couldn't. No power coming out of the outlets. My phone couldn't charge either. And the fridge didn't work. So I opened the hood to see that the charge controller, that is only attached to the aux battery, was off. I figured that it was the heat (although I was out of the heat/california coast already). The starter battery was just fine.

I looked for connectors and fuses. All seemed normal.

Will post pics separately.

I know that 50w is not much - I have no space, it's a Jeep Wrangler, so it must do.

Thanks again,
Kerstin

kerfro

c6aba197353844b817f332c0b6ca5b05.jpg
aa060eeb55d7c53a8fcc0c09eb676ab3.jpg
aa64d50fc99faf4692d97a06908a2068.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewP

Explorer
I typed a reply and it glitched and is gone now...

Battery resting voltage sounds normal, so it is likely both are charging.

Anyway, it sounds like a bad connection at the #2 battery or in the fuse connections that it supplies. Assuming the fridge, charging sockets and charge controller are all on the same battery, so I would start by taking every connection apart and cleaning, wire brushing, and re-assembling with an eye to detail.

I would also check out all the other connections too, especially the Chinese audio looking breaker that I think I see in the one picture.

When your truck is running, does the tiny and hard to see L.E.D. on the ACR turn on to indicate both batteries are charging? What is the voltage at both batteries when your truck is running, and the LED light is on?

Sounds like an awesome trip.

Last edited:

kerfro

Thanks, guys.

I will check everything more thoroughly again.

What Is the Chinese Audio looking breaker?

kerfro

Oh - never done anything like that.

Any special tools I need? A voltmeter and ..

AndrewP

Explorer
Oh - never done anything like that.

Any special tools I need? A voltmeter and ..

Definitely a digital multimeter/voltmeter, even a cheap one will be invaluable. Get a decent one though, it will be very helpful in many different circumstances on a big trip like this.

You're going to need tools for a trip like this, you need some basic wrenches, screwdrivers, a can of electrical contact cleaner, and a small wire brush.

The breaker, or what I think is the breaker is on the wire from the ACR to the battery, the one with the red heat shrink on it.

kerfro

Thanks a lot - I have tools for the car like wenches, screwdrivers, etc. no electrical though. Will get that and try this afternoon.
Thanks again,
kerstin

kerfro

Hi - I bough all that is necessary to check but am wondering if I should do it now as everything works and not better wait until the problem reappears.

AndrewP

Explorer
Kerfro-

It's your call. But problems like this do not occur in a vacuum. Or randomly. I think that you have a bad connection in your aux battery set up. I'd rather find it now, then with a fridge full of spoiled food in Nicaragua. Go through it like your life depends on it. Every connection, every ground, you could do it all in 20 minutes. Otherwise you're just waiting for the boogeyman. But like I said, it's your call.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I'm with Andrew, as usual. Intermittent problems are the worst. Sometimes the ONLY way to fix one is to completely rebuild the system as you may never find the real gremlin.

Were I thee, I would test every single wire and phase of operation of your system where you can get help that speaks English.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94