Going to look at a used '08 LR3 in an hour...

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Hey guys!

Im brand new here. Over the past 2 weeks I've really been learning a lot about offroading (drive a Volt now), overlanding, RTT's(how neat are those?) and true sport utility vehicles in general. I found this site through a jalopnik article, that highlighted the 10 best used overland vehicles. Much to my surprise, the LR3 was listed at #7 on that list. I too, have only heard negative things about LR for most of my life. Since I read that article two weeks ago, I've been trying to do as much digging as I can on these forums as well as other sites. I've never owned a 4wd vehicle in my life, so I have nothing to compare an LR3 too, but it just seems to make sense for my family and I. Live in a big city, short commute to work, with plenty of outdoorsy stuff within short, interstate driving distances. There just doesn't seem to be anything that can compare with the complete package that a LR has to offer. With that said, I'm going to test drive one in a just a little bit, and was hoping someone could chirp in with some key things to look for (potential dealbreakers?). I'm not mechanically inclined, but detail-oriented.

Its an '08 with 104,000 on the odo. From the bits of reading I've done, it seems this is prime mileage territory for some of the major EAS issues?

Thanks for your time, and sorry for being the 15,000 person to ask this stuff. I'm incredibly excited and nervous about test driving this bad boy.

Exploder
Drive over some bumps and listen for clunks. They might occur when applying the brakes, as well. That sound indicates that the lower control arms are shot.

Don't be afraid to sniff the carpet (heh heh). A moldy smell indicates a water leak.

If you like it, take it up to Luke at The Shop in Norcross for a pre-purchase inspection.

These trucks love preventive maintenance. If the previous owner skimped, it can bite you.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Drive over some bumps and listen for clunks. They might occur when applying the brakes, as well. That sound indicates that the lower control arms are shot.

Don't be afraid to sniff the carpet (heh heh). A moldy smell indicates a water leak.

If you like it, take it up to Luke at The Shop in Norcross for a pre-purchase inspection.

These trucks love preventive maintenance. If the previous owner skimped, it can bite you.

Hey Stu,

Thanks a ton for responding to my post. So I'm just back from the test drive and I have some initial takeaways.

1. Upon first seeing the vehicle, I was struck by how good the exterior paint looked (had imagined a bunch of dings/scratches/etc). What i thought looked "cheap" or worn out were two accessories, the "A" front grill guard and the obnoxiously large roof rack. The "A" grill guard is just made of foam and it has already begun the deterioration process. As for the rack, it reminded me stylistically of older Discovery models. Outside of these two accessories, the rest of the exterior looks incredible. Hopefully it would be easy to remove or alter those two items.
12828(13).jpg

2. Cannot believe how spacious the interior is, especially the 3rd row. I'm 6'1, about 175/180 and lanky as all hell. Was an absolute breeze adjusting the seats for 3rd row access and even more comfortable once I was back there. Beats the pants off the MDX my wife wanted to try back in the winter.
3. Driving impressions - Really hard for me to gauge on a 20 min Test drive but it seemed to be fine. For the past 5 years I've been driving either a Prius or a Volt as my DD. Everytime I get in other vehicles than our own, I always feel like something is wrong the persons car because of the entirely different vibrations, sounds, etc from non-hybrid/electric tech. When I first started the LR today, I thought, damn that feels rough. But I had to remind myself that its a huge vehicle with a large motor. It only took a minute or two for that initial reaction to die down and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the drive. Took a brief pause during our parking lot turnaround to play with the height settings. It seemed as if the rear and front raised identically. That seemed positive. The only other noise I heard was slight wind noise from the rack, but hardly distracting.

Here's where I'm hung up. It's an auction car. This LR3 is at a small (appears to be reputable)car lot. I say reputable because they are a USAA approved dealer, claim to offer the "Carfax buyback guarantee" and they have about 150 reviews on Google with a very high majority giving them 4 or 5 stars. In my previous car shopping experience, most of the small fish have more negative reviews than good, a very small number of reviews in total or no recent reviews. This particular vehicle had two owners, was bought and owned entirely in South Carolina, with all available records (Carfax) indicating Jaguar - Land Rover of Columbia performing service. The vehicle has a little over 104,000 miles on it. As of 103,325, it appears to have had a full inspection at the LR Dealer.
Maintenance inspection
Recommended maintenance performed
Control Arm bushings replaced
Wipers Replaced
Oil and Filter changed
Electrical system checked
Steering/Suspension checked
Four wheel alignment performed
Brake Fluid flushed/changed
Brakes Checked

I really dig the vehicle, but did not go today expecting to buy. I explained that I wanted a local car shop which is very close to my residence, to perform a pre-purchase inspection. They agreed, and that is scheduled for tomorrow. The underlying question here is, assuming the local inspection comes back clear, or relatively clear, would you guys have hesitations about purchasing an auction vehicle from a small time lot? This would go against everything I've ever known about buying a used car, especially one known for issues such as a LR. I also don't want to jump on the first option, but it seems legit. Not in a "too good to be true" way, but rather solid. As others have said, there are very few of these in decent condition floating around nowadays. I'd hate to miss on a genuinely good car out of irrational fear/hesitation.

Thanks for reading my rant! Would love to hear some feedback

Last edited:
How much are you planning to pay for it? If you like it and it checks out, I see no need not to get it, however it might be worth it to test drive a few others and maybe even look at other models? A 100 series land cruiser might be good to compare it to, I don't think it has as big of a 3rd row based on what you describe, but I've never been in an lr3. If you go 2003+ you can get ahc( Toyotas height adjustment system), but other then that I can't think of too many competitors with luxury.

LR Max

Local Oaf
If Luke checks it out and it is good, then I wouldn't hesitate. They know what to look for and can properly guide you on what to expect.

With an auction car, its a toss up. However it is difficult to cover up BS with a close inspection.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
My '08 with 126,xxx miles still drives like a dream. It's easily the best vehicle I've ever owned. Yes, preventive maintenance will go a long way. Keep an eye on the suspension, the brakes, keep the fuel injectors clean, and you'll easily have an amazing vehicle that will go at least another 150,000 +. Good luck!

Ray_G

Explorer
I bought an auction truck, it had some teething problems and maintenance to catch up on which cost me in the short term-that said for the most part its been a very good truck and I have no complaints.

With a service as recent as the 103k mark I think you've got a decent truck on your hands. Pulling up the passenger side carpet on the front floorboard to look for corrosion would be a smart play since that's a primary water ingress point. Plan on replacing/rebuilding the compressor at some point unless you can determine that was already done (but that should just be viewed as cost of owning an LR3).

The rack, if you don't want it, would likely sell quickly given their relative rarity.

Good luck!

For reference and I know location means different things but........

I bought my 08 LR3 SE with 67,000miles about two years ago from a San Diego dealer and certified inspection. They won't certify the vehicle over 5 years old but I had them certify the full inspection criteria at the time of sale and I paid $22k after tax tags and title. Truck was in immaculate shape and the owner was a housewife who just got herself a new 2013 LR4 via her rich *** husband.

I have no problem talking about the price cuz it was a great deal of the best vehicle I've ever owned. I also had all of the LR4 2010 Air Suspension Recall Components via the recall before the sale. That means new valves, compressor and upgraded A-Arms.

Zero problems with the truck.....again, best i've ever owned and will always have a Landy.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Wow! I really cannot thank all of you guys enough. The feedback is invaluable and definitely helps ease most of my concerns. The Land Rover community truly seems unique and thats almost as exciting as owning a truck.

As for a few of the questions that have been asked...

The selling price is 16,899. According to various pricing sites, this is either a few hundred dollars +/- relative value. I'd be more than willing to pay that, assuming this second inspection comes back clean. Again, the truck SEEMS to be in excellent condition given the mileage.

Not sure if its got the HD package or not. The spare was still mounted underneath, but I didn't notice if it was a full size or smaller. Even after googling "rear diff locker LR3", I still wouldn't know what or where to look for to determine if it's on this vehicle or not. That would be a very pleasant surprise to discover it is HD.

Seriously, you guys rock! Ill keep you updated one way or the other. Thanks again!

Michael

Bama4door

Observer
Is the LR3 an HSE with the 19" wheels? If so, the spare tire should be size 255/55/19.

Also, form my previous research $16.9k seems a bit steep for one with over 100k miles, but it's pretty hard to find an LR3 these days with under 100k.

perkj

Explorer
Not sure if its got the HD package or not. The spare was still mounted underneath, but I didn't notice if it was a full size or smaller. Even after googling "rear diff locker LR3", I still wouldn't know what or where to look for to determine if it's on this vehicle or not. That would be a very pleasant surprise to discover it is HD.

Get the VIN number of the LR3 and then call or visit any Land Rover Dealership Service department and ask them to run the build sheet for the VIN number and check to see if it has the HD package. They will gladly do it for you. This is the simplest way to check...the other option is getting under the LR3 and checking the rear differential to see if it has the locking step motor as seen below...Fig A is the locking and you can see the small motor (#4) sitting on top of the diff:

diff.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz