4 season tent

So my wife wanted me to buy a large cabin tent so we could go camping with the kids (2) and dogs (4), so I bought some big *** 10x15 Browning Cabin tent (made my Alps Mountaineering). Well she decided she doesn't like tent camping :rolleyes:. So now I'm going to sell this giant monstrosity and buy a tent I want (which I should have done in the first place). I'm looking for a 4 season tent that can hold 3 people with hunting gear comfortably, and 4 people not so comfortably. My budget is around $600. As of right now I'm mostly thinking Kodiak springbar 10x10 or 10x14. I want the deluxe model, but I can't fine the 10x14 in deluxe in stock anywhere (thinks Burning Man :ylsmoke:). The other tent I am considering is the Big Agnes Flying Diamond in either 6 or 8 people. Anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions?

kfmeyers

Just picked up a Kodiak 10x14 deluxe this year and have used it for three trips so far. 2 in established campgrounds and 1 overlanding trip. Setup and takedown are really easy as far as the steps needed. The weight gets old fast on those daily setup/takedown cycles for overlanding. That said, it was just me. With others on a trip to help, I think setting up one tent for all would be more efficient than one for each, even after considering the weight. Thunderstorms hit twice with hard rain and moderate winds and the tent performed perfectly. Being 6'2" and able to stand full upright in more than just the center of a tent has been a long time dream come true.

I wanted to buy ONE tent that would work for all my situations, and this one will as long as I'm okay with the weight. There is one situation I hope not to be in, and that's camping on hard rock. In order for the tent to keep tension and stand up, the stakes have to be in the ground.

All in all, looking at the reviews, I've not seen many products with such little negative feedback. I'd wait if you can!

Just picked up a Kodiak 10x14 deluxe this year and have used it for three trips so far. 2 in established campgrounds and 1 overlanding trip. Setup and takedown are really easy as far as the steps needed. The weight gets old fast on those daily setup/takedown cycles for overlanding. That said, it was just me. With others on a trip to help, I think setting up one tent for all would be more efficient than one for each, even after considering the weight. Thunderstorms hit twice with hard rain and moderate winds and the tent performed perfectly. Being 6'2" and able to stand full upright in more than just the center of a tent has been a long time dream come true.

I wanted to buy ONE tent that would work for all my situations, and this one will as long as I'm okay with the weight. There is one situation I hope not to be in, and that's camping on hard rock. In order for the tent to keep tension and stand up, the stakes have to be in the ground.

All in all, looking at the reviews, I've not seen many products with such little negative feedback. I'd wait if you can!

Unfortunately, they are not supposed to start shipping until October, and I have a hunting trip the 3rd week of September.

moodywizard

Adventurer
buy one for your hunting trip, sell it to me afterwards at a discount then buy the one you want! win win!

Ive been looking at replacing the cheap 10x10 coleman pop up tent for some time, how much cooler are the canvas tents in the socal desert? Ive heard they are better for both hot and cold camping but have no experience my self.

Check out ********'s Sporting Goods for the Kodiak tents, they have at least the VX models in stock (or so the site says) as I've been close to squeezing the trigger a few times now.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Another Option...

Just a bit above your desired price range, you can buy an outstanding American-made product. I own a David Ellis Torrent Tent, but the tent I suggest for 4 season use would be his Cowboy Range Tent. This is not a "all hat, no saddle" tent. Enough said, take a look:

RangeTentbyLake.jpg

leftSpotlight123.jpg

You can find my thread here;
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/147121-David-Ellis-Canvas-Tents

My heavily customized Torrent Tent is more of a three season, high comfort tent, though in the standard form could be configured as an excellent 4 season tent. This tent is faster to deploy and much lighter than any Cabin tent, it is also much more versatile and storm-worthy. I cannot say enough good things about these tents.

Last edited:

mikehood

So my wife wanted me to buy a large cabin tent so we could go camping with the kids (2) and dogs (4), so I bought some big *** 10x15 Browning Cabin tent (made my Alps Mountaineering). Well she decided she doesn't like tent camping :rolleyes:. So now I'm going to sell this giant monstrosity and buy a tent I want (which I should have done in the first place). I'm looking for a 4 season tent that can hold 3 people with hunting gear comfortably, and 4 people not so comfortably. My budget is around $600. As of right now I'm mostly thinking Kodiak springbar 10x10 or 10x14. I want the deluxe model, but I can't fine the 10x14 in deluxe in stock anywhere (thinks Burning Man :ylsmoke:). The other tent I am considering is the Big Agnes Flying Diamond in either 6 or 8 people. Anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions?

I have the north face bastion 4 that I use glacier camping in Alaska. It holds three with gear, 4 With gear in vestibules. It is just above price range but I found mine on sale for $640,

I love the tent after 4 years and expect to have it for 20+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I'll throw in a plug for the Turbo Tent. I had one and sold it, and ended up getting another. I added an AC boot to mine since I live in Arkansas, and our near year-round humidity makes tent camping sometimes miserable.

IMG_3382.jpg

GR8ADV

Explorer
Are any of these really 4 season tents?? I can't imagine any of these in heavy snow or heavy winds. Look at Hilleberg tents if you really want a true 4 season tent. Indestructible, built in fly, double poles. They will be above budget new, but worth Looking for in the used market.

dms1

Explorer
I recommend (and own) the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 man tent with Aluminum poles, it is not as strong as the XWT mentioned above, but it is a lot smaller to pack and much easier to put up and take down. The poles on the XWT are close to one inch in diameter and are very heavy and take a lot of space, I recommend you check it out in person like I did. The Alaskan guide fits in a bag that is 30" long and about 14" in diameter.

Video that conviced me the Alaskan Guide was good enough

Putting up the XWT, me and my wife can put up the Alaskan Guide much faster with less hassel, plus the sleeves that the poles go thru are only 20" long which is a major plus.

Last edited:

WUzombies

Adventurer
I use a Panther Primitive 10x10 canvas wall tent. It is cool in the summer and we use a heater in the winter (the kids are a little young to have a wood stove in it yet, so a few more years). I have an angle kit from The Wall Tent Shop and use 1" EMT for the frame. I went with a reenactment tent because it has no zippers, if one of the ties rips off while we're in camp I can sew it back on to finish the trip out, unlike a zipper which when it fails it fails big. I made magnetic closing bug screens for it too. I can't say enough good things about my awesome tent, except that you're not going to carry it very far from your vehicle as it is quite heavy. If you take care of it, though, a canvas tent will last you many, many years.

F8Industries-Family-52.jpg

http://winchesterundead.com/main/wall-tent/

GregSplett

Adventurer
Alaskan guide all the way.I have used and abused one for years now and it has never let me down.70 plus winds on the. coast six inches of rain a day even sheds large tree branches taking on the pineapple expresses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior