Rivet/Fastener Identification and Removal - E350 Super Duty

centralcoast

Hope someone here may have some insight...

Bought an '03 E350 Super Duty 7.3L powerstroke a few weeks back. Formerly a locksmith van, I've been removing shelves, floorliner, cargo cage, etc. so that I can begin my buildout.

I'm stumped on how to remove these fasteners - they look like rivets but have a threaded bolt inside them, no head, and are recessed. The backside of the only one I was able to get out (it was already loose somehow) has a recessed hex head, I think 3mm or 2.5 mm. These are all mounted in either the wall/floor of the van or in the roof/side (for the cargo cage). Any suggestions, or do I have a fun few hours ahead of me with my drill and angle grinder?

Thanks!

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0786-2.JPG

centralcoast

Ok, so I was able to contact the current owner of the original manufacturer (ABC truck body, now owned by Reading).

They are called cherry fasteners, and yes, you have to drill/punch or grind them out. Awesome.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Every Ford dealer has those rivets. We use them mainly for window regulators. They are strong as heck. Just drill of the heads and punch them thru. It does require a special rivet gun, called a "Big Daddy"

centralcoast

Every Ford dealer has those rivets. We use them mainly for window regulators. They are strong as heck. Just drill of the heads and punch them thru. It does require a special rivet gun, called a "Big Daddy"

My cordless drill wasn't getting anywhere, so I just busted out the grinder w/ a metal cutting wheel, cut X's into the middle of the rivet and punched em out. Didn't take too long but had to be careful around the headliner, and tried to aim the rain of sparks away from the seats and console.

Thanks for the ID!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke