Fixing skid plates?

dsm02c

Adventurer
Bent the transfer case skid plate on my truck, now it vibrates when idling due to the exhaust (what appears to be some type of harmonic damper) rubbing on the plate... wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for bending 3/16th plate steel back, oh, and a mounting ear on my cross member.

GsOnQHQ.jpg

doug720

Expedition Leader
Likely a big torch, a big wrench and a big hammer.

Poor design to have the hardware be the lowest point of skid plate.

Flyboat

Observer
unbolt the skid plat and put in a vise. A big hammer should do the trick no more than you have to go. As far as the mount, when the plate is unbolted take a large cresent wrench and adjust it to the thickness of the metal. Then gentle, little by little, bend the mount back. If it snaps off, then it needed to be rewelded anyway. Sorry that's the best I've got for you:)

dsm02c

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice, a BFH seems to be the consensus for the plate as it is powder coated... I'm interested to see if I can bend the mounting tab, will post results after this weekend.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the advice, a BFH seems to be the consensus for the plate as it is powder coated... I'm interested to see if I can bend the mounting tab, will post results after this weekend.

put a sacrificial bolt into the mounting location before you beat on it. That way you can beat the bolthead instead of the mount lip or threaded insert. And the bolt partially unscrewed can give you a leverage point for prying. All while the bolt itself keeps the nut hole from getting deformed. Just don't hammer it in like a nail, that'll really tear up the threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior