More illumination on a late model F350

drifter_r6

Observer
First write up so bear with me, I know everyone likes pics so I may have gone a little overboard with the details. :)

Like many on this board I find myself seeking solace in the most remote places to explore, away from everyone. Many times that means arriving at your destination later than expected and its pitch black trying to find a trail that's off the beaten path… I've ran into one too many scenarios where my stock headlights and fog lights just weren't providing sufficient lighting down a trail. My hand held LED flashlights provided better throw and penetration into the woods to see where I was going. Enough of that non-sense, time to upgrade!
Things I wanted: Max lumens output for a given size, streamline and low-profile. This will be going on a daily driver, Ford F350 CCLB. The vehicle is large enough already, I don't need anything else adding length to this behemoth. So no gigantic bumpers with stingers or bull bar hoops just to add some auxiliary lighting. I came across this Rough Country Ford Super Duty grille kit which seemed to meet my criteria.
Image from RC's website:
1RC.jpg

Here's a quick review of the install. I purchased the dual light bar kit. The instructions provided were pretty bad, it gave a general idea of what you needed to do but did not provide enough details (a template would have helped) or tips which would have made installation a lot easier. On a difficulty level (1-5) I'd rate it a 4. Luckily I don't mind tinkering.
2.JPG

The key to this kit are the mounting brackets, which center the lights and attach to the substructure/ribs behind the stock grille. The lights are universal, providing a couple mounting options; the base mounting was for my application.
3.JPG

They came with a standard wiring harness which included a 30A fuse, 40A relay and lighted power switch. At roughly a 13A draw per light, you could wire both lights onto one switch if you choose. I wanted control of each light and ran two switches. There was plenty of wire length, I really hate it when manufacturers skimp and I end up having to add more wiring.
4.JPG

I was impressed with the light bar connectors, they screw together and have O-rings on both ends. Definitely water resistant, maybe even water proof connections.
5.JPG

First you have to remove the grille assembly, there are 4 bolts up top and 5 metals clips below. In their instructions it doesn't clearly identify the clips. If you press on the plastic tabs it only removes the bezel surrounding the grille. The silver metal clips are what release the whole assembly.
6a.JPG
6b.JPG

The upper and lower parts of the grille need to be cut out.
6c.JPG
8.JPG

Due to all the ribs in the support structure, tight space and the painted/chrome grille surrounds extending into the opening, its really hard making flush cuts without nicking something. The best way is to leave some extra material and snap off the plastic, this will leave it flush and minimize the finish work with a sanding drum. A dremel really helps out here.
9a.JPG

Last edited:

drifter_r6

Observer
This part they fail to inform you of. I'm not sure if its vehicle manufacturer or light manufacturer tolerances but the light bar was too wide to fit into the grille opening. The side mounting bungs on the light added too much width. 1/8” needed to be removed from both sides on both lights.
10.JPG
I chose to machine down the bungs instead of grinding into the chrome grille. Gave it a couple squirts of black paint to hide the machine work and we are good to go. There is still sufficient depth and threads in the bung for mounting if this light ever gets repurposed for another application.
11.JPG
The set screws on the light brackets need Loctite otherwise these will work themselves loose.
12.JPG
There are four major bolts which connect the light bracket together. Two of the bolts were not straight and all the threads (nuts and bolts) were not cut/deburred/finished properly. I purchased new nuts and bolts and for the two that were specific for the mounts I had to chase/recut the threads with a die.
13.JPG
What is that “rust” looking stuff in the threads?? … It couldn't be scraped off easily, I thought it might have been sand from the finishing process. Running it through a die was pointless as the shafts were bent and caused cross-threading.
14.JPG
The placement of the mount on the grille support is crucial. Make sure to double and triple check your measurements to center the light bar in the narrow opening. Too high up or too low won't allow the tilting of the light bar for adjusting the aim of the beam.
14a.JPG
16.JPG
Wiring was straight forward, screw the two connectors together, attach positive and negative ring terminals to your battery, mount the relay and run the switch into the cab…. All Done!
Before:
17.JPG
After:
18.JPG
19.JPG

Last edited:

drifter_r6

Observer
No point taking a pic head on with the lights on, it doesn't do the lights justice and I end up seeing spots for a few hours. Here's one with both light bars on, hood height, with the bend in the road about 100yds out. Yes, there are green trees in parts of AZ. :)
22.jpg
Overall I was pleased with the outcome. Everything fit flush and maintained an OEM appearance and no wind noise. Keep in mind the light bars add about 20lbs to the grille assembly, I'm weary about all the stress on the supports. These latest generations of CREE LED light bars are definitely brighter and provide more throw. I have yet to test these out under adverse conditions (dust, mud, rain, snow). Only time will tell if they are durable.

Last edited:
Nice write up. I've been considering these too. Have been curious both about the quality of the components and the light bars themselves. Seems to be the the only packaged system for mounting lights in that big ugly grill (I really don't like the look of these grills, but the rest of the truck more than makes up for it)

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's a nice clean looking installation but you seem to have blocked a good portion of the airflow to the radiator, seeing any higher temps?

drifter_r6

Observer
HD... I too have concerns about the components, if the included hardware was any indication of their quality control, then there might be some serious issues. The light bar does come with a 3yr warranty.

rayra... So far I haven't witnessed any higher engine temps. It has been 110+ the past week and I've sat in rush hour traffic a number of times. Will keep an eye out and report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles