5lb Propane Tanks

Ripper

Adventurer
I ended up sucking it up and bought a 5lb on Amazon. None of the local retailers had any or could even get them.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Camping World has them, both 4.5# and 11# and yes they cost a good bit more than a standard 20# tank.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/...mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

when I don't want the weight I just take the partially used 20# tank from my backyard grill (I have 3 tanks). Still a bulky tank, but I got room for it. But I also use the Coleman gas distribution pipe / tree, the one that lets you hook up both a stove and a lantern head. So the bigger 20# tank is a plus for that. If I ever get around to switching things to LEDs I guess I wont need that and will switch back to using 1# tanks on my stove. Have a bunch of them already, for multiple purposes. 2-burner stove, 1-burner, Heater Buddy for household emergency or garage use. And you can use a welding torch head on a 1-lb 'camping' tank. Same fitting as those taller / skinnier welding gas tanks.

Last edited:

Davev1954

Supporting Grouch
Camping World has them, both 4.5# and 11# and yes they cost a good bit more than a standard 20# tank.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/...mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

I don't see a 5 lb listed at Camping world. The 4.5 lb is a different beast. I only mention this as I am shopping for a 5 lb right now. Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-10054-ACME-Vertical/dp/B000243QA0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440865314&sr=8-2&keywords=5+lb+propane&pebp=1440865320074&perid=1562RWBYZRB28AWFECR5

4runnerteq

Explorer
Bit the bullet and got mine from adventure trailers and their bracket. Yes it was pricey, but I like it. Saves my back from lifting the 20#Er out of the m416. No bad back on camping trip = priceless.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I got my 10# from my local propane supplier. They had to order it but the price wasn't much different than what I would have paid to order and ship it from somewhere else. The 5# tank was just a little more expensive than the 10#.

I agree the price is high for these little tanks but the convenient size and weight savings over your typical 20# tank is worth it to me. Get it and you won't be disappointed.

View attachment 301535 View attachment 301536

Scout,

Where did you get that lid organizer for the Pelican Case? I'm rocking a 1600 series for my camp kitchen and that might be a nice addition....

Thanks,

Nate

rayra

Expedition Leader
I don't see a 5 lb listed at Camping world. The 4.5 lb is a different beast. I only mention this as I am shopping for a 5 lb right now. Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-10054-ACME-Vertical/dp/B000243QA0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440865314&sr=8-2&keywords=5+lb+propane&pebp=1440865320074&perid=1562RWBYZRB28AWFECR5

Is it the specific form factor that you are after? I don't really see the meaningful difference between a 4.5 and a 5. Other than the .5. They're in the same 'class'. Just curious what mandates a 5 but not a 4.5

Scoutman

Explorer
Is that a 10# Manchester? Curious if it's the same diameter as their 5# tank, just taller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that is a 10# manchester tank. If I recall it was the same ~9" dia as the 5# tank but ~18" tall vs, 12" or so for the 5#

Scoutman

Explorer
Scout,

Where did you get that lid organizer for the Pelican Case? I'm rocking a 1600 series for my camp kitchen and that might be a nice addition....

Thanks,

Nate

I got it on Amazon. It is a 1609 lid organizer and should fit most of the 1600 series pelican cases. Most of the newer 1600 cases have built in bosses to the lid that align with the holes in the organizer for attachment screws. Some of the older cases (like the one I have) don't have those bosses so you'll have to use some 3m VHB tape or similar to hold it in place.

Hi-Jack over. :ylsmoke:

Scoutman

Explorer
Is it the specific form factor that you are after? I don't really see the meaningful difference between a 4.5 and a 5. Other than the .5. They're in the same 'class'. Just curious what mandates a 5 but not a 4.5

I went through this question when I bought my tank and from what I remember there were 2 main brands. Manchester and Worthington. There wasn't much difference between the 2 cost wise but shape and dimensions were slightly different. There may be others available and this is mainly concerning vertical DOT steel tanks, not marine or aluminum or horizontal tanks.

Basically what it boils down to is...
-Mancester tanks are labeled as 5# or 10# or 11# tanks

Manchester 5# tank (1.2 gal, 12" tall, 8" dia)
manchester5.jpg

Manchester 10# tank (2.4 gal, 17.4" tall, 8.9" dia)
manchester10.jpg

Manchester 11# tank (just a short squatty 20#) (2.6 gal, 12.4" tall, 12.2" dia)
manchester 11.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Worthington tanks are labeled as 4.25# or 11# tanks

Worthington 4.25# (note it's base is different) (1 gal, 11.8" tall, 9.1" dia)
worthington 4.jpg

Worthington 11# (2.6 gal, 16.8" tall, 9.1" dia)
worthington11.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here's the standard run of the mill 20# bbq tank that can be exchanged at many common convenience or hardware stores. These fit perfectly in a milk crate to keep them more stable. Typically ~18" tall and 12.2" dia.
propane 20.jpg

Since liquid propane weighs 4.2# per gallon at 60* the slight differences in tank sizes/volumes are what I believe are throwing off the ID of these tanks and make this somewhat confusing. Anyway, hope this helps clear up some things...

Last edited:

jwilson2598

Adventurer
Yes, that is a 10# manchester tank. If I recall it was the same ~9" dia as the 5# tank but ~18" tall vs, 12" or so for the 5#

Awesome, thanks for the info. So far the 5# has proved sufficient, but being able to upgrade without needing a new mount if needed later would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
If anyone is still looking for these. The Manchester 5# tank is shipping for under 60 bucks on Amazon presently. I also found one at Ace Hardware today for 55.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94