5lb Propane Tanks

Ripper

Adventurer
Where are you all getting your 5lb propane tanks. I'm tired of using the green one pounders and would like to upgrade. Only ones I could find were $65 and up plus shipping

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I recently purchased a Worthington 6# Aluminum tank for use with my new Partner Steel stove.

I ordered it from Amazon and it was pricey ($150) but figure it will last a long time and I'm no longer using the green Coleman tanks.

The tank is tall and slender 6"x 20" roughly. So far I've used it on three trips and it still feels like there is plenty of propane in there.

trailscape

Explorer
I bought a refurbished one from eBay two years ago for 50 shipped. I think 65 for a Manchester tank is probably about the best you'll find. There's a 1-gallon Worthington for 52 shipped on Amazon.

cs0430

Ace Hardware online. They have one for ~$55 and you can usually score a $10 or $5 off coupon if you're patient. Free shipping to store.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Ace Hardware online. They have one for ~$55 and you can usually score a $10 or $5 off coupon if you're patient. Free shipping to store.

Came to say this. I got mine there last year and they still seem to be one of the best prices online.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
I think the demand just isn't there, the off sizes end up more expensive than the standard old 20lb'er. The refillable one linked is interesting, but you can refill the green 1lb'ers with an adapter anyway.

Freebird

Adventurer
I, too, bought the short (11 lbs) version of the ever ubiquitous twenty pounder from Ace. Shipped to a store convenient for me while a rebate was offered. It is essentially a 20lbs tank top welded to a bottom without the middle, so mass production economies of scale partially apply.
I like the STABILITY (short n fat) the tank has, as in it is NOT easy to tip over. REMEMBER folks, these tanks need to be treated nice/gently for a happy long life (as does ANY pressure vessel). Plus holds more gas than the smaller bottles/tanks.
I would have rather had aluminum, but I'm too damn cheap!

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
I got my 10# from my local propane supplier. They had to order it but the price wasn't much different than what I would have paid to order and ship it from somewhere else. The 5# tank was just a little more expensive than the 10#.

I agree the price is high for these little tanks but the convenient size and weight savings over your typical 20# tank is worth it to me. Get it and you won't be disappointed.

IMG_20150509_070812_499.jpg IMG_20150509_070907_324.jpg

cactusjk

Explorer
Good to know since it is an expensive tank! I got it at West Marine a while back.
I do not recall. Honestly, in all my travels, only one guy at an ACE told me NO. I simply showed him his did not have a certification/ inspection on it either and he shrugged, chuckled, scratched his head, and then said, "Well, guess, your right. These Aluminum tanks are a little different. There aren't certs on them. Your not the 'LAW' are you? Trying to get me in trouble? Heck, you just want to get out of here and go camping it looks like. Them are out of state tags. Ok, give me 5 min and pay the guy at the desk inside. I'll radio it in."

4.xx gallons later and I was out of there back on the off beaten paths of the deserts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior