Backing myself into a corner?

L_Kilkenny

I've grown tired of traveling in what feels like a rolling storage closet and am going back to FS after a few years away. I've been leaning heavily towards a Bronco or pre-92 Blazer build for the simplicity. Unless I'm riding in something fairly new I just understand and trust the older technologies when it comes to overland travel. Heck, I still find a place in my heart for carburetors and crank windows!

But.......... I keep getting that nagging feeling that I'm missing something. That there may indeed be a newer FS that may be a better "value". Looking for the following out of the new build:

- Full Size
- Decent turning radius
- Fairly simple to fit small lift and 33's
- decent drivetrain (no rear IS, springs not bags)
- solid frame for mounting good bumpers.
- bonus points for readily available (factory JY takeoff's being great) accessories like skids.
- initial cost $4000-$5000 give or take?
- Off-road abilities? I'll still be traveling with decent built jeeps and a couple broncos so it can't be slouch. Did the San Jauns this year, next year is Moab. Who knows where we'll go after that.....

Besides the 2 FS up top is there something I should look at?

Thanks all and take care, LK.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Bronco is probably your best but, but I'm a bit biased. lol.

No lift needed to run 33's. You may want to put new coil springs up front, since the original springs would have sagged an inch or two after 20 years. Otherwise, should mount right up.
Very strong frame. You don't even need a new front bumper unless you really just want a different look. If you just want a winch, just throw it behind the stock bumper and it will fit just fine.
JY parts are EASY to come by, even for upgrade parts. If you want bigger, tougher replacements, just pull it off a same generation F250/350 pickup.
A good, clean bronco, with next to no rust, will go for about $4K-$5K so you're right in there on price.
I took it off roading last spring with some jeep guys, and for a stock suspension and drive train, it easily held its own with the modified jeep crowd. In fact, the only rigs that beat it where the super-customs, which were custom built from the ground up.
Don't let anybody tell you the TTB front suspension is weak. The only time I've EVER heard of the TTB breaking/bending, is when someone tries to go and modify it or use a cheap lift on it.
Just look at my build link in my signature for some ideas.
You could also look into an F150 with a camper shell of the same age range.

4x4junkie

Explorer
×2 on the Bronco. Might look at a Ramcharger or a Suburban 2500 also.

Not really a whole lot of other choices given your criteria (guessing you're not interested in pickups, already having one that should be pretty capable listed in your sig).

L_Kilkenny

The truck for a variety reasons is relegated to winter, hunting and plow service. Plus let's face it, when it comes to turning radius Chevy trucks just ain't it.

Well so far seems like everyone is on the same page and it doesn't seem I'm missing anything newer. Funny Tarditi brought up the mil Blazers. I actually know of one for sale under $2000 and have looked at it. A bit of rust (not horrid) and a seller that doesn't know his head from his butt keep me from pursuing it. As a matter of fact same seller has a rust-free 89 Bronco that I'm still mulling over. Front end is shot to the point of being unsafe to drive and it runs horrid. Top it off asking too much for it but he's had it for sale a couple weeks since I looked at it and I may toss out a proper offer and see if he bites. At that point I'll park it in the shop and fix everything over the winter.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
So long as the damage to the 88' Bronco is limited to the front end, it should be easy to fix. Body panels can be picked up from the jy, and some of the steering. You'll want new tie rod ends and bushings, but otherwise, repairs should be easy to do and parts easy to find. how much is he asking for it?

L_Kilkenny

Body's all good. Anything to do with the steering is completely gone. The owners have tried "adjusting" things and made it worse than any drive I've ever been in. And I've driven some real clunkers. Motor needs replaced (a likely thing for me to do with anything I'm going to buy to be on the safe side). asking over $4000.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Easy fix. Most bronco's need new steering components after 20+ years of getting beaten on. You can get a full setup from the junkyard for a quick replacement setup, or take your time and buy new rod ends, steering box and rag joint.

greengreer

Adventurer
Over $4k, not sure about your market but here that thing shouldn't need very much work. Front end shot and motor needs replaced I would think closer to 1k maybe 2k if everything else was in good or better than good shape. If the market in your area isn't good it's often alot cheaper to buy a plane ticket and gas or have one shipped from a better locale.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have been bronco shopping for the wife. I currently own a ramcharger and we'll it's the same but not. It will turn on a dime and my superduty turns on 50 bucks in singles. I just like the bronco removable top is a nice plus even if we never take it off.

SlinginIron

+1 I bought my 89 4 years ago for $2500, it was very clean, and ran well. Steering was worn but drivable, I am currently accumulating parts to rebuild the steering system/components. I am just saving to buy a Red Head steering box, and that should be the end of it. All things considered, it seems as though the prices of that generation have been increasing, I would definitely do some more comparable shopping before you commit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne