LR3: Reverse Only?

MN_Disco1

Good morning! I have stumbled across an 06 LR3, V8 with 160k. It is being sold for $3200 since it only drives in reverse. I contacted the owner and it sounds like they had a quick diagnosis which resulted in a leak / no fluid.

I did a bit of reading and it sounds like there can be issues with the linkage seizing up. As far as fluid, I am puzzled. Curious if any of you folks have any ideas, is it worth looking at or should i run away. I have a 94' Disco and often think about adding an LR3 or something a bit newer. This Disco is pretty tired and needs lots of work.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
New tranny for an LR3 is about $7,000. Can probably pull one from a junkyard somewhere for less than that

unseenone

Explorer
You might get lucky... I assume the tranny was never services. There are some components that seize up on the shift lever. Check that out for rust and corrosion. I can get you the P/Ns for the components. I'd assume the worst though.

Hugh166

Observer
See if the shifter in the cabin physically won't go into drive. If it is stiff and won't shift past neutral, you're probably looking at just needing a shifter linkage. Easiest way to test that is have someone hold the brake while the engine runs and get under and use a 13mm wrench to loosen the retaining nut on the linkage cable side, then shift the linkage yourself down there by hand. Spray liberally with PB Blaster or the like. If it's seized, the nut holding the linkage to the trans can be seized too, and if you break that, then you do need a tranny

LR Max

Local Oaf
If its so rusty underneath that the linkage is rusted out, the rest of the truck is probably rusted out.

So consider this before moving forward. Sounds like a (more) money pit.

MN_Disco1

It is a MN truck, second owner so I am sure it is pretty rusty. It sounds like a pretty good transmission shop told the owner then need a new trans. I am thinking I will hold tight. The 94 Disco still runs and drives pretty well. The kiddos would be heart broken if I got rid of her...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBiram

Adventurer
I had mine rebuilt at AAMCO for about $5k including relays etc. And I had to have it done at 124k miles.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
It is a MN truck, second owner so I am sure it is pretty rusty. It sounds like a pretty good transmission shop told the owner then need a new trans. I am thinking I will hold tight. The 94 Disco still runs and drives pretty well. The kiddos would be heart broken if I got rid of her...

Def keep the D1...even if you got a D3; I'm biased of course but having had two previous D1's that left for various reasons I now know the 3rd will forever remain in the stable.

A.J.M

Explorer
I wouldn't worry too much about rust. The D3/4 platform is very good for rust protection.

My own 04 has spent half it's life in Scotland, and in the highlands where we put road salt down for months at a time. Mine has surface rust on the chassis at parts but it passes it's annual mot test without a comment on the underside.

Mine will get treated next summer though.

For the rest, if it's tired you may need to put a few $$$$ into sorting the suspension, brakes, whatever is up with the transmission etc.

It could be a good project to get a cheap car that you know. Or it could be a wallet killer that will leave you divorced, broke and homeless..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz