How to obtain weather reports out in the field?

senkan

In USA, and maybe some parts of Canada/Mexico, I use radios able to receive NOAA Weather Radio. Either a portable scanner, FM transceiver and a pocket radio able to tune in frequencies listed here.

162.400 MHz
162.425 MHz
162.450 MHz
162.475 MHz
162.500 MHz
162.525 MHz
162.550 MHz

Depending where you are in the USA, you will be able to hear on one of these freqs. Or, just a standard AM/FM radio to tune into local radio stations' news/weather information.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
With no access to cell coverage, how do you obtain weather forecast?

This is one reason I still have my Cobra 75 WX CB in the van, even though I also have a dualband HAM. The WX in the Cobra name means Weather, and it is preprogrammed to the NOAA Weather radio channels. I will monitor that a lot more often than I use the actual CB!

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Not perfect but if really adventurous just get the satellite images from the GOES birds using WEFAX software on a laptop. Their frequencies for download are near 2m ham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt_OCENS

Observer
I use my 2 meter radio (it is more sensitive than my CB but it has weather channels also).

Other options -

1. Satellite Radio
2. If you own a Delorme inreach you can subscribe to the Spotcast Weather service http://www.ocens.com/SpotCast-Weather-P526C132.aspx#Description

SpotCast is also compatible with any of the satellite phones that can generate a GPS position (i.e. Iridium 9575, Iridium GO, IsatPhone Pro). It will also work with a smartphone (with internal GPS), which would apply if, for instance, you don't have a data connection, but can get an SMS message through on the cellular network.

blackwood

Adventurer
And a more basic InReach capability that's free but less detailed: http://wx2inreach.weebly.com/details.html

Looks like I should have purchased an inReach product. I have a handheld Garmin GPS and a Spot Sat phone/service. But I did need a sat phone since I often travel alone.

I'm going to have to look into all these radio options and the SpotCast service also looks good.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I also found recorded weather forecast with the National Weather Service for those with sat phones or cell service but can't get data. Doesn't give you pinpoint weather but a general idea of some areas.
http://www.weather.gov/dial-a-forecast/

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
Either weather on the 2m or even more to my liking is getting the fire weather forecast from CDF or the Forest Service. Ham radio works well for those too.

whatevah

Observer
As others have mentioned, use a CB or ham radio to listen to the NOAA stations. Some ham radios will even switch to that automatically if there is an alert (my Kenwood TM-D710 will do that). Also, some vehicles with SiriusXM satelite radio can display a rough radar map, forecast and area alerts. My Jeep radio (touch screen, not the basic one) will display weather warnings on the screen if I'm in an affected zone, for me it's the "Travel Link" add-on service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior