Atwood on demand water heater in a "family adventure" rig?

RoadForce

Observer
Lately I've been looking into on demand water heaters (see http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...n-pass-through-water-heater-anybody-done-that) and after considering the portable (indoor/outdoor) variety, the Atwood 90205 model seems interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-90205-On-Demand-Water-Heater/dp/B007S3MTI8

I did a search on these forums, but I don't really get a lot of hits. Nobody uses it? Why not? Maybe it is not suitable for expedition rigs?

My rig is not a hardcore expedition rig, but more to be seen as a family adventure camper, enabling us to access spots regular RV's cannot. So if the Atwood is not suited for heavy offroad use, that would not be a problem for me!

RoadForce

Observer
Sure, no problem! You're considering getting one yourself?

In the reviews I found, people seem very happy with this unit, but as far as I can tell they mostly use them in regular RVs and 5th wheelers. As I don't plan any heavy offroading with my rig, just regular paved roads and some occasional light greenlaning, I see no reason this unit would not work (provided the price and size work out for me), right?

RoadForce

Observer
Hi David,

My understanding is that the RV550 is the successor to the RV500, which is/was largely identical to the Atwood.

Be this true or not, I don't find many reviews on the PT models, whereas the Atwood gets quite some good reviews on Amazon and some other forums (with the occasional negativ review as well, but the positive reviews seem to be in greater numbers).

1Louder

Explorer
Pretty sure this is the model I have and Turtleback Trailers offers these as an option in their trailers. If it is not the exact model it is very similar to what I have. It works well. You do lose a bit of water while waiting for the water to heat up depending on the distance between the heater and the sink or shower. However, if you are doing anything with a consistent flow or close to it that water stays hot the entire time.

RoadForce

Observer
Thanks 1Louder for your feedback. I looked up Turtleback Trailers and I think you're right about them offering this unit as an option: they mention "Atwood On Demand 50.000 BTU water heater" as an upgrade.

When I was searching this forum for people using the Atwood, I found someone selling a prototype trailer having an Atwood On Demand unit installed. Now that I have had a look on the Turtleback website, the trailer I found looks very much like one of their trailers, so I guess I found a pre-production Turtleback Trailer in my search.

[EDIT] yup, here's the one I found: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...r-with-all-the-goodies-SOLD!?highlight=atwood [/EDIT]

I am glad to hear the unit works well for you. I am definately considering this unit at the moment as we will mostly use it when hooked up to the mains. The only problem is I'm in Europe, where Atwood is not a familiar brand (so no sales here, nor service). I found a US vendor on ebay that ships to Europe, so I guess I will just have to suck up the expense of having it shipped over and hope for the best in terms of service and warranty.

Ironically, Truma - a very reputable firm in Europe - now sells a very interesting unit called the AquaGo, but they only sell it in the US, not in Europe!

Last edited:

highdesertranger

Adventurer
RoadForce I heard that Bosch makes one. is that true? maybe you could source one of those easier. what ever you do, please post up the results. I am wanting to do this myself. highdesertranger

dzrtdave

Supporting Sponsor: Turtleback Trailers
Hi I do offer the Atwood on demand water heater as an option in our units. From what I've found its the best built for an Overlanding unit. I've tried the camp chef and Eco temp when I first started building trailers and I don't think they'll hold up in the long haul. The Atwood is kinda pricey but when you see how it's built you'll know why.

That being said, I put the Atwood in my unit last year to try it out, it held up very well and It worked as all on demand unit should, when there is flow it heats.

Here are the downsides of all the brands I tried, you get a delay in hot water because the flow switch has to be tripped. Not a big deal but something. More importantly to me is you can't turn the water on a trickle or on low and get hot water, it won't flip the flow switch. The flow switch is there to protect the unit from overheating. On an extended trip ( even if I do have 42 gallons of fresh water) I want to conserve. A tanked water heater saves water and a good one is plenty efficient. I use an Atwood 6 gallon hi efficiency unit that is rated at 9 gallons because of its quick recovery.

If you have questions give me a call or PM me. I do offer both models on our new web store that just went up www.expeditioninspired.com

Dzrtdave from Turtleback Trailers

RoadForce

Observer
RoadForce I heard that Bosch makes one. is that true? maybe you could source one of those easier. what ever you do, please post up the results. I am wanting to do this myself. highdesertranger

Hmmm I didn't know that. I did a search but came up empty. If you happen you find more details, then please post here. I will do the same.

Hi I do offer the Atwood on demand water heater as an option in our units. From what I've found its the best built for an Overlanding unit. I've tried the camp chef and Eco temp when I first started building trailers and I don't think they'll hold up in the long haul. The Atwood is kinda pricey but when you see how it's built you'll know why.

That being said, I put the Atwood in my unit last year to try it out, it held up very well and It worked as all on demand unit should, when there is flow it heats.

Here are the downsides of all the brands I tried, you get a delay in hot water because the flow switch has to be tripped. Not a big deal but something. More importantly to me is you can't turn the water on a trickle or on low and get hot water, it won't flip the flow switch. The flow switch is there to protect the unit from overheating. On an extended trip ( even if I do have 42 gallons of fresh water) I want to conserve. A tanked water heater saves water and a good one is plenty efficient. I use an Atwood 6 gallon hi efficiency unit that is rated at 9 gallons because of its quick recovery.

If you have questions give me a call or PM me. I do offer both models on our new web store that just went up www.expeditioninspired.com

Hi Dave,

thanks for the feedback. Good to hear regarding the build quality. And yes I know: no navy showers with a heater like this, but that is kind of why I am interested it the unit as I (and especially the mrs) don't like navy showers. It requires plenty of water though, so we'll mostly be using it when hooked up to the mains.

One thing I hope you can help me with, is the actual size of the unit:

Atwood specify 12.5 x 12.5 (and about 16 deep including plumbing), does this include the flange or are these the dimensions of the unit itself, and the flange (and subsequently: the door) is wider than that? If so, how much wider? Or ratherL what is the height and width of the door?

dzrtdave

The opening that I put in the trailers is 12.625x16.625" This allows either the on demand or the tanked water heater to be installed. There are flanges on the on demand that fold out to fill the void on the sides of the unit. The depth looks about right. The door is about 13x17 maybe a little less.

dzrtdave

I spoke with them the Overland Expo before last. They are very nice but VERY expensive. Did you find a retailer for them un the U.S.?

RoadForce

Observer
Yes, from what I have read, the AquaGo is a very nice (but expensive) unit. However, Truma don't sell it in Europe, only in the US.

Go figure: I am in Europe (Holland), Truma is a very well-known brand over here and they have a product I would like to buy (let's assume money is no object, which it is, unfortuneately...). I live 2 miles from a major RV supply store that carries all of their products, yet I cannot buy an AquaGo!

@Dave:

About the other water heater you carry (the boiler type): can it keep up with 4 people showering decently (i.e. somewhat "navy shower" style perhaps, yet still comfortable and in no particular rush) one after the other with about 5 minutes in between showers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior