Green Pin shackles and ratings

FlyFishermen

Observer
I am looking at the Green Pin shackles from Van Beest. It appears that their WLL ratings are metric tonnes = 2204.6lb/tonne.

I am looking for a quality shackle that will be good/safe to 36,000lbs. I am thinking the Proof Load would be good to go off of as the shackles would never be under a "normal" or "steady" load, such as a permanent load. Proof load, from what I recall with bolts, is the stress a bolt can be under before it begins to deform. I am not sure how that exactly correlates to shackles though.

Proof Load on the Green Pin screw pin shackles is 2x WLL.

If my math is correct - the 8.5T rated 1-1/8" pin (1" bow) shackles will work:
WLL = 8.5x2204.6 = 18739 x2 = 37478 lbs proof load. Breaking load is 6x WLL, or 112,435lbs.

The next size up is a 9.5 tonne = 41887 lb proof load, 125,662lbs breaking load.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

landsharkman

Adventurer
I like Green pins by Van Beest a lot well made stuff, Crosby and CM(Columbus McKinnon) also make great shackles

Last edited:

FlyFishermen

Observer
I put the wrong dimension in for the 8.5T shackle - I had it written as a 1" pin. The bow diameter is 1", pin is 1-1/8" for that model. The next one up is a 1-1/8" bow/1-1/4" pin. I changed it in the original post.

It looks like the metric ton (1000 kg = 2204.6 lbs) and standard ton (2000 lbs) are tossed around interchangeably with vendors. According to the catalog I downloaded from Van Beest their WLL ratings are the Metric Ton (page 6 of the full catalog, definitions page, bottom of the Load section).

texascrane

Adventurer
I like those CM shackles. The 3/4" have a 6.5T working load. It probably doesn't make any real difference for my usage, but for $13 a piece, why not?

onetraveller

Adventurer
Not sure what you are using the shackle for, but proof testing bolts brings the bolt into the elastic zone, but stop prior to reaching the plastic zone. That is any deformation in the material is recoverable, not permanent. Is this for a horizontal pull or an overhead lift? Is this something you are doing personally or could it potentially impact the safety of the public? The working load limits are established for good reasons and it's advisable to stay within them.

CM has a 1 1/2 inch shackle with a WLL of 20 tons or 40,000 pounds. I'm sure Van Beest and Crosby have similar.

https://www.cmworks.com/Public/6946/midland%20super%20strong%20anchor%20shackles-carbon1_cat.pdf

Mike

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Not sure what you are using the shackle for, but proof testing bolts brings the bolt into the elastic zone, but stop prior to reaching the plastic zone. That is any deformation in the material is recoverable, not permanent. Is this for a horizontal pull or an overhead lift? Is this something you are doing personally or could it potentially impact the safety of the public? The working load limits are established for good reasons and it's advisable to stay within them.
^ This

Here's an interesting video showing that even the rated breaking load is exceeded. https://youtu.be/513Rn7uuJao

FlyFishermen

Observer
The shackles would be for recovery - attaching winch lines and ropes/straps. That is where they would see the most stress. I do some lighter hoisting, but the hardware I have for that is plenty already. The most hoisting load Ive ever worked with is under 3000lbs.

FlyFishermen

Observer
I think I solved my problem - I found 25 ton WLL green pins for about $28 a piece. That will do. They are gigantic and weigh a ton, but will work. 2" pins.

I found them on Amazon. I posted the link but when I went back the price went back up to $120 a piece. Maybe I should have bought them all...

Dazrin

Adventurer
As you noted, I have seen Amazon with some really good prices for Van Beest green pin shackles recently if anyone else is looking. I had been using a couple shackles from a friend but those will be retired now that I have some that I know the history of.

FlyFishermen

Observer
Shackles came in today.. WOW. Overkill was right, these things are gigantic - and heavy.

If anyone is in a similar boat finding a bang up deal on these, for the $ you can't beat them with the 25 ton rating, but they are a PITA working with them. I'm second guessing trying to use these.

IMG_4069.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

For size reference:
The black shackle is a 5/8" pin, 9000lb WLL from the hardware store. The galvanized one is what I got from Superwinch - 3/4" pin with a 4-3/4T WLL (or 9500lbs).The snatch block is Superwinch's 36,000lb rated one/ 1/2 line.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior