Philthy's Extremely Slow and Cheap M416 Trailer Build

Philthyphil

Observer
I've had this trailer a couple months but I just let it sit because the seller couldn't find the title so I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get her on the road. I finally did that and know I am going to start using it. To be able to go anywhere without worrying I needed to swap out the shoes. Old dry rotted military tires were holding air but didn't inspire confidence.

I can't find a pic with the old shoes but here's Cinderella.

M416 new tires.jpg

Firestone Destination MT in the stock M416 size (215/85/16).

The tires cost me the same as I paid for the trailer and since its a $400 trailer I am likely not going to put a bunch of $$$ into it, other than doubling the value with the new tires. Which is why I went with the stock tire size instead of: lifting the trailer and swapping out the hubs, buying LC spec rims to put matching tires on... yadayada$$$yadayada. I do plan to extend the tounge and put a box up front but I have a lot of projects in the air right now, hence the "slow build".

I previously had hit it with a wire wheel on a grinder to knock off the loose paint chips for the impending paint job. I really like the OD green but the wife's 100 series LC is river rock mica green and she thinks that if we go back with the OD green it'll look like a failed attempt at paint matching her truck, so we are thinking desert khaki... but I really like the OD green. Thoughts on this are appreciated.

Just want to use it as it is, we camp frequently and we have 2 kids in car seats and a great dane so the back of the truck is full, and I don't like strapping everything to the roof. We've been traveling that way awhile so we'll see if this is better. My only regret is that I can't fit my dirt bike in with everything else (or in the trailer at all).

4runnerteq

Explorer
Heck yeah man. Just use it and enjoy. Sure they look cool all color matched and stuff, doesn't make em pull any better. Maybe make a lid you can lock then roll on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440851966.136643.jpg
Heres mine, new wheel bearings and lid, have less than $1000 in all of it. Like you, only $400 initial investment.

Last edited:

Philthyphil

Observer
Not sure about a lid, more time than I want to spend on this particular project. Also this trailer is too short for our Oztent to fit in and the idea behind the trailer is to keep stuff off the roof of the truck so it will hang out the back. Not too worried about theft where we're at. Going with the HD tarp for now just to keep the contents in the dry. Got some new safety chains installed this weekend. Woot, woot!

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
OD green base with a lil desert khaki camo so it looks the part of being its own and not mismatched while keeping mostly the color you like.

Philthyphil

Observer
Great idea. Although I've never done a camo spray paint job I've spray painted an entire vehicle so it shouldn't be too hard...

Philthyphil

Observer
I love this thing. I have a wheel barrow. But this is an overgrown wheel barrow that I can move by hand full of wood but then hook it to my truck. How cool is that?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior