Is this good value?

I have been looking for a dual purpose bike to run around on during the week and go for mini adventures around Vancouver Island on the weekends.

In my search I came across an add for a XL500 & XR500 for $1,900. Here is what it said:

Time to thin the fleet. I have a fantastic XL500S which was my daily driver and an 82 XR500R which I bought as a parts bike for the XL500S. Given that the bikes are the same year, most (not all) of the parts are identical.

XL500S
*New chain
*New rear sprocket
*New front sprocket
*New front brakes
*New rear brakes
*New indicator regulator
*New brake cables
*New clutch cable
*New seat cover
*Rebuilt carburetor

The XL500S is fully registered and ready for road or off road use. I have never taken it off road. It has amazing torque and is a blast to ride in town. Very reliable - has never let me down.

The XR500R is complete and though it needs some attention it runs and has good compression. It comes with the correct SuperTrapp exhaust. I also have a spare set of new brake shoes for the XR.

xl500.jpg
xl500 2.jpg
xr500.jpg
xr500 2.jpg

So last night I made arrangements to meet up with the guy selling it and take the XL500 for a test drive.

The "bad" I noticed:
  • It was a little hard to start at first, but I know it was started cold after sitting for a few weeks, so to me this is not a red flag, if anything it shows that the seller is a honest gent.
  • There is a small amount of oil leaking out of the head, but leaking might be the wrong word to use, seepage might be a better adjective to use.
  • The exhaust has some form of "Jimmy" work done to it where the header connects to the tail end of the exhaust pipe and silencer. (some form of putty and a exhaust pipe clamp were visible)
  • The front brakes made noise and didn't grab as hard as I thought they should. Seller figures they haven't fully seated yet and that both issues should improve with time

The "Good" I noticed:
  • New chain
  • New rear sprocket
  • New front sprocket
  • New front brakes
  • New rear brakes
  • New indicator regulator
  • New brake cables
  • New clutch cable
  • New seat cover
  • Rebuilt carburetor
  • Shifted through the first 4 gears with ease no binding or any sign of transmission damage
  • All buttons and switches on the bars worked
  • It will pass inspection
  • It has enough torque for me and was a blast to ride

I tried to make a deal for just the XL and leave the XR out of it but he is really set on selling the two together. I never really looked over the XR much but was told it would start and drive but he never rode it more than a few hundred meters since buying it for a parts bike 2 years ago.

Then we sat around chatting for a good hour about all things motorized before I had to head out, I got the vibe that he is a good honest man and not too worried bout him selling me a polished pig.
Before I left he told me to think about it over the weekend and that he would sell the pair for $1,400.

I figure the XR has to be worth at least $300-400 to someone or could make for a fun tinkering project.

Do you guys think that this is a good deal? Or should I try and see if I can shave off a bit more on the price and try and get the XR out of the deal?

Any advise will be helpful!

Cheers,
Mike

C5dad

Observer
I would get the two and sell the donor. Then use the proceeds for repairs. For older bikes, they are not going to be perfect!

1stDeuce

Explorer
If you want or can deal with a bike that old, it may not be bad, but if you just want a dual sport to ride, I'd keep looking.
Check the "thumpers" forum on ad rider for more info.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Unless you are a collector I can't imagine why you'd want a bike that old.
Not knocking old bikes - I loved my old UJMs from the early 80's - but for $1900 you can get a much newer bike that probably has more features and fewer problems.
IMO that's the best way to look at "value" objectively. Don't look at Blue Book or any other "expert" resource, just ask the question: "What ELSE could I buy with that money?" I'll bet for $1900 you could fine a late 90's or early '00's KLR 650, DR 650 or even an XR 650L that will be in better shape and easier to find parts for.
Unless you're looking for a project or a hobby, I wouldn't touch that, not for the money they're asking. Maybe if they were asking $500 for everything it could be a good deal, but for $1900 you can do a LOT better. Even for $1400 I'd be willing to bet you could find something newer and nicer.

jcodyj14

I own a 1991 xr600 and I ride the piss out of it. Don't let the year fool you, xr's run forever, but 1900 seems steep. My 91 has disk breaks, less weight, more hp and ground clearance and I paid 1500. The xr650l although not nearly as cool as the 500l they do have e start and a simple design and can be had on craiglist for around 2500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I called him and gave him a counter offer, but he didn't take it.

I see he still had it & dropped his price to $1,600... so I will wait a bit and then go back with my offer if nothing better comes along between now and then

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Not a horrible deal for $1400.00 but you could probably do better. It sounds like it is maintained and it sounds like he is a pretty stand up guy, so really it is all about value to you. I agree, you could do better and newer. I was looking at KLR's and have seen a number of them in the $2500-3000 range with mods and of course, some miles. But it is really about what you want and need.

My friend Cody sold his 650 VStrom all set up for overland/adventure travels and picked up a Yamaha WR250R as it was better suited for the Island. Tight twisty trails with tons of trees, roots and rocks... the VStrom was not the right bike. That 500 would be awesome, or a bike that size.

Maybe he will not get too many bites and that $1200 for both will become more attractive to him? The market will set the price, if it sells...it sells, if it doesn't he will call you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94