Compomotive Wheels?

NickH

Observer
Why does this seem to be the wheel of choice for LR3/LR4 owners? They are very expensive wheels and I was curious what all the hoopla was about.

D

Deleted member 9101

they are expensive... thus L3/L4 owners have to buy them...lol.

Ray_G

Explorer
Not sure I'd say they are the wheel of choice for 3 owners, I would guess most of us are happy with OE 18's, for the 4 owners I think (don't know since I don't own a 4) that they facilitate 18's w/o modification that lr3 18's would require.

perkj

Explorer
LR4 have larger brakes and thus require a different offset rim for 18s to clear....the Compomotive are the only rims that have the proper offset. the alternative is to use wheel spacers with the factory 18s.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Yes
To fit the 12.5 even with the Compo's I need to push the wheel out more.

Attachments

• unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 91
  • unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 81

Jwestpro

Explorer
Is that at full lock?

You appear to be making the assumption that at "full lock" would be the tightest situation between the tire and UCA.

This is not true at all.

The tightest situation is during full drop of the wheel, or extension of the strut, depending on how you like to think of it.

At normal ride height, turning lock to lock really doesn't change that gap by much but the main thing is that it doesn't show you the closest possible moment.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Yes
To fit the 12.5 even with the Compo's I need to push the wheel out more.

You didn't expressly state it but I'll assume the tighter photo is only with the compo wheel mounted directly to hub and wider gap is plus the 30mm spacer.

What is the difference between factory wheel offset and compo offset? I figure it must be in the 20mm range?

It seems like you could have actually worked with the factory wheel on the 30mm spacer and that tire without being quite as tight at the compo only photo. Thus tucked as far as possible while still functioning properly. ?

A.J.M

Explorer
Comp wheels were partially developed with an Australian off road company to allow the Disco 4 and also Mk1 RRS drivers drivers to use a better range of tyres than the 19s that came from the factory for them.
The bigger engines had needed bigger brakes which rules out lots of 18s due to caliper clearances.

It's one of the few wheels that will let a 4 or Brembo caliper equipped car get 18s under them.
I have a set of RRS Brembo's on my Disco 3 as the tdv6 brake set up is adequate at best. The V8 upgrade is to change caliper carriers and go up a disc size. However, you still use the same calipers for both V8 and tdv6 so i didn't see it as worth it. That and i needed a new caliper due to one sticking anyway.

Sadly, they don't due Duratrac's in 18s in the UK. They do them in 19s. So that's what i have.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Comp wheels were partially developed with an Australian off road company to allow the Disco 4 and also Mk1 RRS drivers drivers to use a better range of tyres than the 19s that came from the factory for them.
The bigger engines had needed bigger brakes which rules out lots of 18s due to caliper clearances.

It's one of the few wheels that will let a 4 or Brembo caliper equipped car get 18s under them.
I have a set of RRS Brembo's on my Disco 3 as the tdv6 brake set up is adequate at best. The V8 upgrade is to change caliper carriers and go up a disc size. However, you still use the same calipers for both V8 and tdv6 so i didn't see it as worth it. That and i needed a new caliper due to one sticking anyway.

Sadly, they don't due Duratrac's in 18s in the UK. They do them in 19s. So that's what i have.

I would not say that the larger engine required "bigger" brakes. More speed may be better paired with more stopping power, however, LARGER sized brakes are not what is needed. MORE stopping power can be had by smaller brakes, the company just went with what is cheap to produce. Take for example the AMG brakes that the G55k used inside their own 18"x9" wheels up through 2008 in the NAS market. These had fantastic stopping power and fit inside a factory 18" wheel with room to spare.

I find it extremely annoying that the newer Disco 4 and full size Range Rovers have such massive rotors that no sensible wheels or tires may be fit anymore. It's like forcing Usain Bolt to wear dancing heels you'd expect to see on a professional Tango dance woman ;)

The RR will wade through 1M water but can only use a 20" wheel with small sidewall street tire. I am sure this situation has a clinical name for the psychosis.

A.J.M

Explorer
Hmm, now you have me curious. What's the size and spec for the G55 brakes?
The G isn't very common over here so not aware of it's specs? I think i've seen 4 or 5 this year.

I do whole heartedly agree on the annoyingly large calipers and the silly size of wheels. The Comps are an answer to a problem that really shouldn't exist in the first place.
It's a major weakness for them to need the large wheels and then have very poor choice of tyres to use.
I know you can get off road tyres in 20s but the choice isn't great and i don't rate a few of them for any size.
Personally, i hate the GG AT tyre, i find it terrible for off road use bar driving over a gravel path.

I never liked the standard set up for the D3, it never gave the confidence like my old mk1 freeby had. I did 20k with the set up before changing so it wasn't a short term use either.

This is the size comparison for the 4 pot Brembo's vs tdv6 parts.
AC91C190-D249-4AD8-A07F-425E9225036F-7150-000006129AAB35B3_zpsd671cc9a.jpg

Pads are yellowstuff for the Brembo and Ultimate for the tdv6.
Disc size is also apparent.

This lot got fitted at the same time.... Along with fitting, software upgrades etc. It took about £2000 to do. Worth every penny mind you.
5A800F21-E493-407E-A6BE-357DDDB6F4B0-767-000000ECE01190A1_zps54b45c9e.jpg

Jwestpro

Explorer
This lot got fitted at the same time.... Along with fitting, software upgrades etc. It took about £2000 to do. Worth every penny mind you.

Did you choose the actual complete arms because all the items needed are already pressed into place or is there some reason you needed or wanted the steel parts? It seem the same result should be available by only changing out the bushings and bearings?

A.J.M

Explorer
Thanks to 9 years and 117k of British weather, rain snow and living in the Scottish highlands for 6 of those years with road salt etc for months at a time.

Only the front upper arms came out with needing an angle grinder. The other 4 arms were cut out. It was the same with the front lowers.

New arms and bolts was the quickest, easiest way to get the car sorted.
I use it for work so can't afford to have it off the road for long.

I also get 20% off parts as one of my neighbours works for a main dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz