are all z71's 4x4?

Wildcat

Adventurer
im looking at colorado's on craigslist and there are several that are z71's, but some sellers don't list as 4x4. most of the time the pics don't show the dash well enough to see if it has the switch. initial google searching turned up contradicting info

thanks

FshTaco99

Adventurer
I don't think GM called them "Z-71"s. I remember an Avalanche and a Colorado coming in and they were labeled in the system as a Z-8...

Wildcat

Adventurer
there are several z71 Colorados on Houston cl right now. one of them had good pics of the dash and it did not have 4wd switch. so i guess they made 2wd z71's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
No, for about the last 10yrs. RPO code Z71 was originally the off-road 4x4 package. Mid-2000s sometime they started applying the code and many of the parts of the package to 2WD as well. The package includes several suspension, body trim and badging items, besides 4wd. And the fifth digit of the VIN should be a K for 4wd (C for 2wd).

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
lol, No. Not even particularly 'brand loyal', but all the vehicles in my sig are in front of the house right now, and we had a '99 Z-71 Tahoe before the '05. Did a lot of shopping over the years, and a little bit of googlin'

Wildcat

Adventurer
ok. i see now. thanks for the info. im keeping my eyes peeled for a 4x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justcuz

Explorer
Before the 2wd Z71 I know the 2wd Avalanche had a Z66 package. Never saw it on a Colorado, Tahoe or Suburban though.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
To clear things up a bit.

Z71 colorado/canyons can be either 4X4 or 2WD.
2WD Z71's have torsion bar suspension.

Non Z71 trucks that are 2WD are non torsion bar.
Non Z71 trucks that are 4X4 are torsion bar.

justcuz

Explorer
Based on that, could one assume that the 2wd Z71 used a 4x4 frame and may easily be converted with a tcase, front driveshaft, axle housing and axles? I'd bet the unit bearings are the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94