Butyl tape residue removal

ripperj

Explorer
I have used lots of butyl tape on my Alaskan camper, after trimming what squeezes out, there is a sticky residue left on the white aluminum siding. I want to seal the edge of the butyl between the camper and the trim with 3M4000. Looking for a solvent that will remove the residue without eating the good buytl, and at the same time leave a clean surface for the 4000 to stick to. WD40 removes the residue, but obviously the caulk won't stick to it.
Am asking too much?, will it be a two part process? Is it even required? I am caulking right on top of the butyl anyway, will the residue really affect the caulks adhesion to the aluminum?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Are you caulking just to make it "look pretty"? It certainly isn't required.

I've removed excess butyl by trimming with a razor blade and then finishing with acetone.

ripperj

Explorer
Mostly to make it look nice, my old Alaskan had black streaks down the side from water running off the tape. I will try acetone on a test piece and make sure it doesn't screw up the paint

Thanks

doug720

Expedition Leader
3M make a product called '"Adhesive Remover", I know West Marine sells it and likely body shop suppliers.

rayra

Expedition Leader
citrus oil or alcohol. Maybe kerosene. Acetone will eat the underlying finish.

ripperj

Explorer
:)
I have noticed a decrease in production since I refilled the beer fridge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles